Options

Eastern Europeans in your town

Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Here in Wakefield we have a very sizeable population of EU migrants from the usual countries in Eastern Europe. By and large they have settled here without problems, although they remain in their own communities and I don't see much integration.

There are sometimes 'tensions' in one part of town where their on street drinking upsets the Muslim community. That's about it though.

I love the food shops they have opened and I've become a big fan of their beers.

What's your experiences? Have they been made welcome in your town? Have any issues occurred as a result of them coming to your town?

Comments

• Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't have a large community in our town. A city and a town nearby however does, I don't really know how well they integrate though as I don't pay too much attention.

That said I have heard comments from people saying "all you can here are foreign voices when you walk through town" from a few people, then found myself walking through town and not finding this to be the case at all.

I think some people really over exaggerate things.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a large population in our town and we also have a few Eastern European food shops in the town centre.

We also i noticed the other day have groups of Eastern Europeans hanging around the town centre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    We don't have a large community in our town. A city and a town nearby however does, I don't really know how well they integrate though as I don't pay too much attention.

That said I have heard comments from people saying "all you can here are foreign voices when you walk through town" from a few people, then found myself walking through town and not finding this to be the case at all.

I think some people really over exaggerate things.

I have in our town i could take you to the areas too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep we have a massive EU community where I live.

Personally I haven't had any issues at all. However a lot of 'locals' seem to think the EU community is directly responsible for a large increase in local crime levels. I can't say I've seen any evidence of that being the case.
    That said a local Avon lady did get mugged by a couple of Polish blokes with a knife and a gun a couple of Sundays ago, but that's just one case thats been jumped on by the UKIP/BNP brigade.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have some in our town and they are more productive and better behaved than a lot of the 'locals'. I have no problem with them at all. In fact, I admire anyone who uproots and relocates to another country in search of a better life. It is much better than constantly moaning.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of Poles and Slovakians in my part of the world. To be fair, they're decent enough and just want a better life for themselves and their families. I've worked with quite a few and they think the UK's the land of milk and honey and that Britons are very lucky to have been born here. However, there are parts of Glasgow that have become near ghettos, mostly populated by Roma and Albanians. That's very worrying.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have in our town i could take you to the areas too.

The BIB being the point really, it means that immigrant populations maybe don't integrate as much as they should and populate a small area of the town. That does not mean "the town is over ran" which is what the people I was referring to are trying to imply.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Polish grocery shop opened up a couple of years ago in town so there must be a fair few of them.

Badly dyed hair aside, they seem fine enough.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    The BIB being the point really, it means that immigrant populations maybe don't integrate as much as they should and populate a small area of the town. That does not mean "the town is over ran" which is what the people I was referring to are trying to imply.

The only 'areas' we have here are protestant areas and catholic areas. The migrants just mix in among the rest of us.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went into a hifi shop in the West End the other day and asked if they could recommend some speakers. The guy said that British people aren't interested in hifi so they mostly sell to Eastern Europeans who are willing to pay over £3000 for a pair of loudspeakers. As I didn't have £3000 to spare I left, but it looks like Eastern Europeans are helping to create jobs as well as taking them - as long as you want a job as a scruffy hifi salesman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my town Tesco used to have a very large distribution warehouse and the employees were paid around £12 an hour (s--ty shift patterns}.

Tesco wanted to move and in the process announced anybody wanting to go with them would have to accept £7.50 an hour and the new warehouse is predominantly staffed by eastern europeans.

I know because a work colleague of mine used to work there but could not afford to take the wage cut.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I went into a hifi shop in the West End the other day and asked if they could recommend some speakers. The guy said that British people aren't interested in hifi so they mostly sell to Eastern Europeans who are willing to pay over £3000 for a pair of loudspeakers. As I didn't have £3000 to spare I left, but it looks like Eastern Europeans are helping to create jobs as well as taking them - as long as you want a job as a scruffy hifi salesman.

Then he's clearly a nut.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Yes, there are a few, I hear different languages being spoken in my high street but that doesn't bother me at all to be honest. I don't feel overrun, or a "foreigner" in my home town as some other local people would have others believe. The comments on my local papers' FB page by people blaming Eastern Europeans for everything leave me ashamed to be British - they were laughing the other week about someone (they claimed Eastern European) taking old bread rolls out of a bin to eat and joking about next time smearing the bin with dirty nappies and dog poo to stop them. No compassion at all.

Of course all crime is now blamed on Eastern Europeans, and it's as if they're demonising them, rather than seeing there is good and bad no matter what your nationality.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There shops and restaurants have opened my mind to different foods
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    There shops and restaurants have opened my mind to different foods

There is a good side and a bad side the good side you have highlighted.

The bad too much unskilled/semi skilled arrivals have cut the wages at the bottom end for those already here
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,157
    Forum Member
    We have a fairly large Polish community in our town, although we have always had a Polish presence since the end of WW2, and they seem polite enough. I've never had any problem with them, although they do get shouty with each other when they've had a few too many Tyskie's:D

One thing I have notice about Eastern European women is that after they've given birth they quickly regain their figures while the British lasses are all fat and dumpy. Their fashion sense is much better as well. Polish women wear jeans and tops which accentuate their curves, have well applied makeup and generally look like models, while British women plod about slothenly in unflattering sweatpants, loose tops that show their saggy, swaying bosoms and puffing on a ciggie, swearing at their screaming kids.

What gives:confused:
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's around 600,000-700,000 eastern Europeans in the UK according the 2011 census.

That's about 1% of the population, or 1 in 100 people. I know people will tell me the figures are wrong and its more like 10 million or something, but lets just put things into perspective.

Eastern European immigration wont go on forever, particularly from countries like Poland as their economy improves in the next 20 years, a bit like immigration from Ireland (in large numbers) didn't go on forever as their economy improved in the 1990s.

Long term immigration will however still come from Africa and Asia, but that's fine from my point of view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    There's around 600,000-700,000 eastern Europeans in the UK according the 2011 census.

That's about 1% of the population, or 1 in 100 people. I know people will tell me the figures are wrong and its more like 10 million or something, but lets just put things into perspective.

Eastern European immigration wont go on forever, particularly from countries like Poland as their economy improves in the next 20 years, a bit like immigration from Ireland (in large numbers) didn't go on forever as their economy improved in the 1990s.

Long term immigration will however still come from Africa and Asia, but that's fine from my point of view.

That is under government control unlike EU immigration.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]

That is under government control unlike EU immigration.

But they are still coming in big enough numbers and remember the tories aren't going to be in forever, labour aren't as restrictive on immigrants as the tories are. They still will be in significant numbers for the remainder of this century.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    But they are still coming in big enough numbers and remember the tories aren't going to be in forever, labour aren't as restrictive on immigrants as the tories are.

Indeed not but i have a feeling come the next election Labour will not be able to govern on their own. The only people being hit by Labours policies are working class people people who suffer from wage compression.>:(

Yes they are coming in numbers but Teresa May is putting up a valiant fight.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we have a small but growing community in our town , but they have integrated well and seem to want to work and there are a few polish shops springing up which is great as they sell some nice food , There are troublemakers but there are also home grown troublemakers
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i live in a city with more tourists and english as a foriegn language students than residents [it seems] most days, i probably wouldn`t notice, but polish food shops are always welcome with me.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    There are loads where we live but generally they arent a problem to me. The only thing that annoys me is when they throw garden parties that go on through the night but luckily thats not too often, although it will pick up when the weather gets better.

There is a lot of reported crime from the eastern europeans however its all to each other. You read the crime bit in the local paper and 9/10 of the crimes are committed by europeans, with the victims being european. So they arent really a danger to anyone else.
  • Options
    mike joycemike joyce Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One word sums them up: Arrogant.

I have no problem with immigration but the Eastern Europeans get on my nerves, especially poles and Slovakians. They make no effort whatsoever to blend into our society, always keeping their own company. I can only speak for myself but if I moved to another country I would at least make an effort to blend into their culture.

A couple of other points that have been mentioned in this thread:

To the person who said they think this is the land of milk and honey. Yes, the do, they think we are weak and a bit of a joke for letting it happen.

To the post about their women. Yes, they may be slimmer but it is a myth that their women are all stunners. And their women are certainly more arrogant than our women.