Options

diarrhoea problem

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
Forum Member
Bit of an embarrassing problem but anyway. I've had the dreaded all week. I put it down to one of 2 things, I started them Danone actimel thingys on Monday and have had 1 every day this week, I also started buying Airwaves on Monday to and have been hitting them all week also. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My gut was bad, so i bought actimel and its seemed to work.
    Have you taken any medication in the last week?, Because pepto bismol gives me the s****.
    I also eat a hard boiled egg with spots of blood in it (thought it would be alright once i cut the blood out) , which also give me the s****, the odds are its something you have had to eat.
  • Options
    Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeez, thank you. It's not just me. It's the Danone Actimel. I started on that a couple of weeks ago and I've not got off the loo since either. I've kept on taking it because they've convinced me that it's good for me and I've got a fridge full because it was on special offer. Tell you what, let's both stop taking it. :eek:

I used to have Yakult which was great - used to have IBS and it cleared up with that although it gave me heartburn so I thought I'd give Actimel a try and got the constant squits instead.

Anyone recommend a pro-biotic drink that doesn't have unpleasant side-effects? Please?

Probably choffing that many airwaves is not good for you anyway. Full of chemical nasties.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David81uk wrote:
    Bit of an embarrassing problem but anyway. I've had the dreaded all week. I put it down to one of 2 things, I started them Danone actimel thingys on Monday and have had 1 every day this week, I also started buying Airwaves on Monday to and have been hitting them all week also. Any ideas?

Personal advice: pack in the Actimel ~ they upset my tummy too. Miraculously cleared up as soon as I stopped drinking the stuff.

Obviously doesn't suit everybody.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rugby Rose wrote:
    Jeez, thank you. It's not just me. It's the Danone Actimel. I started on that a couple of weeks ago and I've not got off the loo since either. I've kept on taking it because they've convinced me that it's good for me and I've got a fridge full because it was on special offer. Tell you what, let's both stop taking it. :eek:

I used to have Yakult which was great - used to have IBS and it cleared up with that although it gave me heartburn so I thought I'd give Actimel a try and got the constant squits instead.

Anyone recommend a pro-biotic drink that doesn't have unpleasant side-effects? Please?

Probably choffing that many airwaves is not good for you anyway. Full of chemical nasties.

Snap. I have a bloody fridge full as they were on special offer. I tried them muller thingys before and they did the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David81uk wrote:

A week is a long time to be suffering. Are you taking any antidiarrheals? Most can be purchased without prescription and are usually very effective.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    delboy85 wrote:
    A week is a long time to be suffering. Are you taking any antidiarrheals? Most can be purchased without prescription and are usually very effective.

Took nothing yet, I think i'll look about imodium
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I have been personally told by one of the country's leading immunology experts that these so called "pro-biotic" drinks need to be consumed by the gallon every day to have any effect on your health. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    poobrain wrote:
    I have been personally told by one of the country's leading immunology experts that these so called "pro-biotic" drinks need to be consumed by the gallon every day to have any effect on your health. ;)

By the gallon, they cost an arm and a leg for 8 little pots.
  • Options
    spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They seem to have been on special offer everywhere. Perhaps they are just selling up before everyone sussed out they are 'crap' ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    COYS wrote:
    By the gallon, they cost an arm and a leg for 8 little pots.

Yeah exactly, I only bought them cos they were on offer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try the chemist, they'll advise something for you
  • Options
    Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I've never figured out is if they balance the good/bad bacteria in your digestive system, why doesn't it stay balanced when you stop taking them? Each time I stopped taking yakult thinking my IBS was sorted it came back pretty much immediately.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    The airwaves gum contain a sweetner which can have a laxative effect.

If you've eaten something that is upsetting your gut, then the immodium can end up keeping it inside you thus taking longer to clear up.

And the trouble with the squirts is, you can become anxious that it will reoccur at in inopportune moment and as a result will end up having the squirts through anxiety - a real vicious circle.

My old boss once told me her "emergency solution" to the squirts/IBS. She kept a sterisle 20p wrapped up in her handbag at all times. In an emergency she would slip it in causing the sphincter to clamp down hard and give her enough time to get home. Taking care not to crack the pan when it comes out like a bullet!!!
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Two things -

1 Instead of Imodium, try drinking a glass of lukewarm water, dissolve 1 teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt in it first.

2 Drink some peppermint tea, it helps your digestive system get back to normal. It stops you feeling queazy too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    Try eating some Bisto. It will thicken it up ;)
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." (Matthew 19:24)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote:
    "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." (Matthew 19:24)

Have you got a verbal diarrhoea problem?

See my post above :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elliebee wrote:
    Have you got a verbal diarrhoea problem?

Is actimel any good for that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Elliebee wrote:

<Austin Powers>
    Gravy, booby!
    </Austin Powers>
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally take Asda Probiotic yogurt drink, twice a day and so far I have not had any problems, 6 for £1.28 which I believe is reasonably priced
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "This week, I have mostly been drinking yogurt"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Eat DRY Toast .. That'll clear it up .:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be a combination of both, but Airwives (like most other gums) contains Sorbitol, which is well known for causing diarrhoea.

"Ingesting large amounts of sorbitol can lead to some abdominal pain, gas, and mild to severe diarrhea. "

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbitol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mlog wrote:
    Eat DRY Toast .. That'll clear it up .:)

^^ I agree. Seriously.

Toast with _Marmite_ if you like the stuff (it replaces the electrolytes you've poo'd out, the lack of which makes you feel weak and wobbly).
  • Options
    CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David81uk wrote:

Recalling your thread on 'sick pay' - hope you don't need the use of this facility.