Will the word "black" become offensive in future?

Comments

• ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The colour of people 'of Afro Caribbean descent' varies massively doesn't it?

So what?
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I suppose it will. I'll be old then, and will use it on purpose, citing senility for my apparent lack of social awareness.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffawkes wrote: »
    So what?

So saying that you think this person you describe 'is of Afro Caribbean descent, just isn't good enough as a description.

You're going to have to say something else to clarify your description - or would it be 'racist' to do so?
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So saying that you think this person you describe 'is of Afro Caribbean descent, just isn't good enough as a description.

You're going to have to say something else to clarify your description - or would it be 'racist' to do so?
    Well, if you were the copper and you wanted to know exactly what colour the person's skin was, I'd ask you to show me a Dulux colour chart and I'd choose one.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is nothing racist about the word black, unless you use it in an offensive way. To describe a man as a black man is not racist, to call him a dirty black bastard would be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northerly wrote: »
    Can you still go out for a chinky or is that now not allowed?

That term would piss off my parents.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if you were the copper and you wanted to know exactly what colour the person's skin was, I'd ask you to show me a Dulux colour chart and I'd choose one.

You wouldn't really say - Afro Caribbean descent, really fair skinned with long curly hair?

Or Afro Caribbean descent - black guy, very dark?

How about - Afro Caribbean descent, black features pale skin?

I'm honestly trying to figure out what would be acceptable to you, without compromising political correctness.

It's an absolute minefield, and therefore I think that when it is descriptive there should be a bit of tolerance, rather than slamming people as racists if they say the 'wrong' thing.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    TBH, I thought "black" was offensive until I was edumacated. :o
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    TBH, I thought "black" was offensive until I was edumacated. :o

It usually is about anything else.
    Are there many descriptions where black as a prefix is used to denote something positive?

Why it was chosen as the description of choice is anybody's guess.

Take MOBO, music of black origin. In English that can have two meanings, music originated by black people, music originated from something sinister.

Now of course everybody knows what is meant, but language doesn't really care that much, especially English.
    Dual meanings for all sorts of words.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    It usually is about anything else.
    Are there many descriptions where black as a prefix is used to denote something positive?

Why it was chosen as the description of choice is anybody's guess.

Take MOBO, music of black origin. In English that can have two meanings, music originated by black people, music originated from something sinister.

Now of course everybody knows what is meant, but language doesn't really care that much, especially English.
    Dual meanings for all sorts of words.

At the risk of sounding very inappropriate...

I can kinda see it from both sides.

I always used to assume that "coloured" was a better term because, maybe, people who aren't actually black would be offended at being categorised that way.

Course, the problem there is that, aside from the historical use of the term, it kind of implies that you've got white people and then anybody who isn't white is "coloured" whereas I guess, if we're gonna call white people "white" then at least the term "black" is similarly arbitrary so it's all very equal.

I do tend to agree with some of the comments people have made about how it's easy to fall foul of using the "wrong" word, even when no malice is intended.
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Why do us white people feel the need to describe someone by their skin colour or ethnicity? ...Do we feel some kind of superiority to other races?

I don't personally but if I am describing someone to someone else that need to find them, why pussyfoot around avoiding mentioning the bleeding obvious characteristic that they a are big 6 foot 6 black bloke working out in the yard?

Sometimes being PC goes beyond common sense.

If I was the only white/pink English bloke working where everyone else was another race, I wouldn't mind being pointed out as the white bloke or the English bloke or the non-black bloke. That's what I am! - That's totally different to racism.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somehow there's this idea that everyone is just waiting to be offended, and liberals have taken this to absurd extremes. Sure, stop people from being deliberately offensive. But for goodness sake stop the hand wringing. Let's just call a spade a spade.

;)
    http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/349/990/304.gif

Double ;)
    Forum Member
    A description to the police about what?

A person you have seen doing a crime.

You might say:
    "He was a white bloke in his mid 20s"
    or
    "He was a black bloke in his mid 20s"
    or
    "He was an Indian bloke in his mid 20s"
    or
    "He was an Eastern European bloke in his mid 20s"

All valid descriptions of the person the witness saw.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calling black bags... green bags is bloody stupid..

I've never heard of this one before :eek:
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,525
    Forum Member
    Personally I think the word "Black" is ridiculous as so few of the people who identify as "Black" are anything like black in colour. No friend I have ever had (who is not pink) has ever had black skin and most have been lonely coffee coloured from light coffee to dark coffee and from all over the planet. Even my friends from South Africa are dark brown at best but not black.

Yeah but white people aren't white. It's just the same kind of shorthand and I guess the idea was originally to take the colour out of it (neither white nor black being colours). This may explain why "coloured" eventually became frowned on by dark skinned people.

So unless we stop describing pale skinned people as white, I suspect that we won't stop describing dark skinned people as black (or whatever the people themselves wish to be described as).

And we haven't even got onto people from the Far East yet, how does that fit into the discussion (I've no idea!).
    Forum Member
    big mac wrote: »
    Yes, but it still means that a term that is considered PC to describe someone of a certain skin colour always has to exist.

Yes but a person's skin colour (whichever one) IS a massive characteristic about them. That isn't a negative. Just that some people make it out to be and claim racism where there is none.

Hair colour is another one along with sex and height.

They are only negative if someone wants them to be.

To be racist you have to know what is going on in someone's head. A word on it's own it nothing without meaning.

I could say:

"He's a black guy" - as a description of my friend with not a trace of racism.

Or I could say:

"He's a black guy" - in a distasteful way about someone and that would be racist.

So the same words said differently are entirely different.
  • ItHasPotentialItHasPotential Posts: 7,817
    Forum Member
    bah bah rainbow sheep

seriously
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it racist to find the word black offensive, as it suggests that being black is a negative thing, when it's not.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Yeah but white people aren't white. It's just the same kind of shorthand and I guess the idea was originally to take the colour out of it (neither white nor black being colours). This may explain why "coloured" eventually became frowned on by dark skinned people.

So unless we stop describing pale skinned people as white, I suspect that we won't stop describing dark skinned people as black (or whatever the people themselves wish to be described as).

And we haven't even got onto people from the Far East yet, how does that fit into the discussion (I've no idea!).

As Johnny Mathis might say, "Black, white, yellow...no one knows"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    Northerly wrote: »
    Can you still go out for a chinky or is that now not allowed?

Has that ever been "allowed"? To my knowledge, it's always been an offensive term.
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bah bah rainbow sheep

seriously

While we're at it, I'll throw "chalkboard" into the equation. Another ridiculous one - it's a board that's black, therefore it's a blackboard. How a description of something designed to be written on in a classroom can be considered to have any racial connotations is baffling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big mac wrote: »
    While we're at it, I'll throw "chalkboard" into the equation. Another ridiculous one - it's a board that's black, therefore it's a blackboard. How a description of something designed to be written on in a classroom can be considered to have any racial connotations is baffling.

Whiteboards are most often used now.

No one seems to be worried.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find it racist to find the word black offensive, as it suggests that being black is a negative thing, when it's not.

Black market, blackmail, black mark, black sheep, black day, etc.

Lots of negative things tagged as "black" so maybe an entire race (including mixtures thereof) should have a more accurate term.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Black market, blackmail, black mark, black sheep, black day, etc.

Lots of negative things tagged as "black" so maybe an entire race (including mixtures thereof) should have a more accurate term.

So do you find black people to be negative? If you meant black as in evil I'd agree, but as in skin colour, not at all. There is nothing evil about having black skin and the two terms mean very different things.