Options

Why are you no religious and why don't some of you beieve in God and Jesus?

Comments

• Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »
    I never said 'all atheists are immoral'. Please don't twist my arguments to suit your own agenda. You're either doing that or cannot read or think properly. What I DID say was that SOME atheists don't believe in God, and don't WANT God to exist, because having to follow rules would get in the way of their selfish pleasures. That is quite a different statement.

Similarly, with regards to your final sentence, at no time did I say that we have 'free will' with regards to when we are born and when we will die. What I DID say was that we have free will to decide how to live our lives and how to use the talents God has given us while we are here.

Well, that's a pretty shitty system for an all-powerful, all-knowing, omni-benevolent deity to devise. Have fun worshipping that. I'll keep my rationality and recognise the tragedies in the world.

I note you didn't mention that some atheists reject religion because they find the morality infantile and hypocritical either. In fact, you never mentioned any of the myriad of reasons why atheists might reject religion. You simply offered an opinion (without proof or examples) that some atheists reject religion because of it's strict moral code (notwithstanding child sacrifice in the stories and the odd priest's misdemeanor which I won't even mention as it's so ubiquitous that everyone knows what I'm talking about). Where is the balance in that statement? I might as well counter that often some people join the church because of some "evil" they sense in themselves and that they wish to gain a cloak of respectability when they are anything but and that this often surfaces later on when they start abusing kids (oops, looks like I mentioned it). That seems a pretty shitty thing to say, to tar all with the same brush, but I should be okay since I used the word "some" just as you have. Isn't generalising unfair?

Yeah, have fun with that spaghetti junction of morality. I'd rather be on this side of things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it utterly ridiculous that someone would not drink tea because it is written down somewhere for no apparent reason....
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boofie wrote: »
    I find it utterly ridiculous that someone would not drink tea because it is written down somewhere for no apparent reason....

The lunatic who invented the cult of Mormonism decided that. Just as he invented the rest of their beliefs. I'm sure Christ loved a good cuppa. You couldn't make it up..........oh yes someone did. Some mighty wealthy hierarchy in their Church.;-)
  • Options
    MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A convenient teaching common to all religions is that you must have faith. Why? Because it is all a big con. Without the "faith" aspect they would be expected to produce evidence and they can't do that.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The majority of people in this country consider themselves Christian according the UK census. Christianity has built the structure and values of society we know today. Not too much has changed. UK is officially Christian. Just like Saudi Arabia is officially Muslim and North Korea is officially Atheist....I know where id rather live.

But fear not! People are slowly coming to their senses and abandoning religion. Another few decades and Christianity should be a minority:
    http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census/key-statistics-for-local-authorities-in-england-and-wales/sty-religion.html
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boofie wrote: »

Joseph Smith was one of the most preposterous charlatans in world history. :D

How anyone could found a belief system on this scumbag criminal is totally beyond my comprehension. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But fear not! People are slowly coming to their senses and abandoning religion. Another few decades and Christianity should be a minority:
    http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census/key-statistics-for-local-authorities-in-england-and-wales/sty-religion.html

But Islam is growing.

And becoming more radical by the day. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    I never said 'all atheists are immoral'. Please don't twist my arguments to suit your own agenda. You're either doing that or cannot read or think properly. What I DID say was that SOME atheists don't believe in God, and don't WANT God to exist, because having to follow rules would get in the way of their selfish pleasures.
    That is quite a different statement

Similarly, with regards to your final sentence, at no time did I say that we have 'free will' with regards to when we are born and when we will die. What I DID say was that we have free will to decide how to live our lives and how to use the talents God has given us while we are here.

Which selfish pleasures?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Which selfish pleasures?

Free thought probably.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How anyone could found a belief system on this scumbag criminal is totally beyond my comprehension. :confused:

Well they do?:o

Here he is in all his very dubious glory:D

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith,_Jr.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Free thought probably.

Nice to know and in no way judgemental or sanctimonious, that anyone who isn't a believer is selfish? Must get neck ache from looking down on others?;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member

The bigger the lie....

Look at Scientology. Their leader was quite explicit in what he was doing and why and still managed to sucker people in. Some people need something. It's their response to the problems of existentialism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which selfish pleasures?

It is so frightening to think some people actually need the threat of Hell not to go around, killing, raping and abusing people. :(

We are a truly sick species - but our evolution (as recent papers attest) was driven by brutal savagery and violence (the adaption of human fists and the male face).

Thank goodness some of us are moving away from this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nice to know and in no way judgemental or sanctimonious, that anyone who isn't a believer is selfish? Must get neck ache from looking down on others?;-)

You should learn to laugh at the absurdities in life.

It's factually true though. Free thought is the enemy of doctrine and the two will always collide. They are at odds by definition. Just like faith and knowledge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bigger the lie....

Look at Scientology. Their leader was quite explicit in what he was doing and why and still managed to sucker people in. Some people need something. It's their response to the problems of existentialism.

The cults are all the same. Started by lunatics to justify their own lunacy, megalomania, greed and narcissism.
    They also, of course, all got rich, fast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The cults are all the same. Started by lunatics to justify their own lunacy, greed and narcissism.
    They also, of course, all got rich, fast.

All I see are cults. One person's religion is another person's cult.

Do you think religions started 2000 year ago were any different from the charlatans of today? I doubt it.
  • Options
    Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't need that link. The bible already prophesied that people will turn away from the truth and society will become more lawless and unstable.
    Even if Christians built there own little island and lived happily. And left the UK to Atheists and Muslims. I guarantee you any money they would all end up trying to flee to the Christian island for comfort and security. (and then ruin it all over again).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is so frightening to think some people actually need the threat of Hell not to go around, killing, raping and abusing people. :(

We are a truly sick species - but our evolution (as recent papers attest) was driven by brutal savagery and violence (the adaption of human fists and the male face).

Thank goodness some of us are moving away from this.

It says something about a person if they believe that humans would automatically fall into barbarism without religion. It also begs the question - if you act good to avoid recriminations then are you actually any good? Where is the sincerity?
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Well he answers prayers and he created the universe what else created the universe and Adam and Eve ect?

I prayed to win the lottery and never got it, ergo he aint real.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't need that link. The bible already prophesied that people will turn away from the truth and society will become more lawless and unstable.
    Even if Christians built there own little island and lived happily. And left the UK to Atheists and Muslims. I guarantee you any money they would all end up trying to flee to the Christian island for comfort and security. (and then ruin it all over again).

Hahahahahahaha!
    "Turn away from the truth" -comedy gold.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am putting my trust in Jesus
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I am putting my trust in Jesus

But if He even existed He has been dead for about two thousand years.

Good luck with that.
  • Options
    collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cynet wrote: »
    also there is a lot of violence and insults thrown at gay people and that I do condone because that is unacceptable.

WTF? Please say you used the wrong word there and meant condemn.
  • Options
    Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The majority of people in this country consider themselves Christian according the UK census. Christianity has built the structure and values of society we know today. Not too much has changed. UK is officially Christian. Just like Saudi Arabia is officially Muslim and North Korea is officially Atheist....I know where id rather live.

A large portion of the population is indeed Christian but we do not force christianity on the people through our laws. That makes us Secular. Saudi Arabia and North Korea are Dictatorships with one person having full power whether they are Muslim or Atheist or believe in mole people is irrelevant.
  • Options
    Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I prophesize that the sun will set and the moon will rise tonight.
This discussion has been closed.