Options

Rolf arriving for sentencing at Southwark right now.

Comments

• Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Seems to imply that anyone who doesn't burn his records and trash his videos is in the wrong ...

I'm surprised they haven't already banned the Stylophone:-S
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    Perverts, soft jails and Islam in one story? Right wing orgasm right there lol.

You could be right.
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Is he going to have a cushy cell jail like most of these celebrities do with TVs, hi-fi systems and the like?

Oh look, here you go, you are right!
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so a paedos an ideal candidate for a cushy life inside, where you go on guided walks, do poetry, play football etc....

This country is ******* disgusting!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    so a paedos an ideal candidate for a cushy life inside, where you go on guided walks, do poetry, play football etc....

That's probably all available in harsh prisons. What gets me is that had he have been an average Joe, he'd likely have stayed where he was.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    That's probably all available in harsh prisons. What gets me is that had he have been an average Joe, he'd likely have stayed where he was.
    I thought all prisoners, especially first-timers, spend their first few days at an interim prison on suicide watch, before being moved to a more permanent placing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    memmh wrote: »
    I thought all prisoners, especially first-timers, spend their first few days at an interim prison on suicide watch, before being moved to a more permanent placing?

I thought he was serving his sentence at a soft prison?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member

Its funny people get outraged over that but 'softer' prisons actually have a lower reoffending rate than harsh ones. A couple of Scandanavian countries have 'prisons' which are cottages on offshore islands and the reoffending rates there are extremely low in comparison to countries such as ours, other European ones and America. But thats a whole other debate.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's low re-offending rates that some people want more likely a high mortality rate.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't be surprised if he's allowed on the internet for a certain amount of time a day, with filtering.

There's something wrong when there's people living on the streets and done no crime, and than there's pedo's living in "soft prisons" living a better life.. :o

He won't have a chance to "re-offend" as let's face it he's going to die in there, so it's a morality issue there's no point giving him the "soft" approach hoping he will come out and be a better person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't be surprised if he's allowed on the internet for a certain amount of time a day, with filtering.

There's something wrong when there's people living on the streets and done no crime, and than there's pedo's living in "soft prisons" living a better life.. :o

He won't have a chance to "re-offend" as let's face it he's going to die in there, so it's a morality issue there's no point giving him the "soft" approach hoping he will come out and be a better person.

From a documentary I saw a while back, quite a few homeless people are supposed to prefer living on the streets. A few the host of the documentary interviewed said that they were so used to living on the streets that they wouldn't feel right living in a house/flat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JFoster1 wrote: »
    Its funny people get outraged over that but 'softer' prisons actually have a lower reoffending rate than harsh ones. A couple of Scandanavian countries have 'prisons' which are cottages on offshore islands and the reoffending rates there are extremely low in comparison to countries such as ours, other European ones and America. But thats a whole other debate.

We're talking about paedophiles and not just burglars, fraudsters etc. I'd say about 97% of paedophiles reoffend so long after they've been released.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I thought he was serving his sentence at a soft prison?
    So it would seem, but according to that article, he's at Wandsworth at the moment and will be transferred to Littlehey later. As I said, don't all prisoners start off at an interim prison before being moved to a more permanent placing, whether that be soft, harsh or somewhere between? And aren't all prisoners on suicide watch at first?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BIB^^^ His current sentence will have him out in under three years. He might not die inside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it would seem, but according to that article, he's at Wandsworth at the moment and will be transferred to Littlehey later. As I said, don't all prisoners start off at an interim prison before being moved to a more permanent placing, whether that be soft, harsh or somewhere between? And aren't all prisoners on suicide watch at first?

I wouldn't know. I've never been sent to prison before.
  • Options
    Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dare say he'll have his fans and his detractors inside chokey.

On the one hand he'll have no end of people clamouring for him to teach them how to play the wobbleboard, or do his jake the peg song for them.

On the other hand there'll be times when he'll be blindfolded, and hit repeatedly with hard things to the cry of "can you tell what it is yet?"
  • Options
    soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    BIB^^^ His current sentence will have him out in under three years. He might not die inside.

Not necessarily. If he accepts his guilt, participates fully in any offender management programmes and gets a positive psychological review, the parole board might consider releasing him on license half way through his sentence. And they might not. In practise, sex offenders frequently serve far more than half of their sentence in prison.

Admission of guilt, particularly in the case of serious offences, is central to eligibility for early release. If Harris cannot admit - to himself, prison staff, psychologists and other prisoners - that he is a paedophile, the parole board will almost certainly not consider him suitable.
  • Options
    soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    And aren't all prisoners on suicide watch at first?

This is correct. (I haven't been in prison either!) It varies from prison to prison and prisoner to prisoner, but it is usually 1-2 weeks. After this, he will probably be moved to a prison with a vulnerable prisoners unit. These units are segregated from the rest of the prison population to make management easier - and they are usually populated by sex offenders, ex-police and legal professionals, those who are frail due to age or illness and informers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the explanations, soundcheck. That's what I was wondering.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28564695

What an utter disgrace, this poxy country does it again!.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:confused: Why are you upset? He will, in all likelihood die in prison anyway
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    :confused: Why are you upset? He will, in all likelihood die in prison anyway

We can but hope!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unfortunately, the courts are bound by what sentence could be handed out back then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We can but hope!

Not me. I just think, whatever happens, happens.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good to see the legal system is still working independently of outside pressure applied by social media campaigns and / or politics (politicians).
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope that another prisoner takes the scumbag out.

All paedo's should be euthanized, painfully!