Scotland should have different time zone to UK says historian

Comments

• SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two different time zones in any part of the British Isles would render millions of radio controlled clocks in one or other of them completely useless. That's before you start to think of the confusion others have already mentioned.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People should really now how to drive safely in the dark surely?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sir Alistair Horne said it was "absolutely crazy" for the UK to have a different time zone to the rest of central Europe.

How does it make any sense to imply that the UK (and he should really have said the British Isles, as this affects the Republic of Ireland as well) is part of central Europe? Look at a map and see how far to the east a country like Romania is from Germany, which is as good as any a country to take as the centre of the CET zone. The same sort of distance as the British Isles are to the west. Romania is an hour ahead, we are an hour behind. It makes perfect sense.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotlish wrote: »
    It is, and should be officially :cool:

Well why dont you go ahead and vote and get it over with ? instead of just talking about it. That way we will see if thats what the majority of Scots want.

Sir Alistair Horne said it was "absolutely crazy" for the UK to have a different time zone from the rest of central Europe

Sir Alistair said Central European time stretched "from the eastern frontier of Poland to the western frontier of Spain" and Britain and Ireland were on the same western time zone as Portugal.

Portugal is on the same time zone as us and they too change their cocks, so what is his point ? Is he saying Portugal should change as well ? Does he really think we should all be the same time zone to save people changing their watches on arrival in Paris ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as people use social reasons (I want to be able to go for a walk at 5pm) and reasons that can be combatted another way (Road deaths, which are some of the lowest in Europe and can be fought using different methods) then this remains a completely idiotic idea.

The economic arguments for GMT are simply huge. Construction workers, outside occupations etc. Dividing the timezone in Scotland or even the Midlands of England (this affects England anywhere north of about Ipswich, but it could be argued some on this forum in think the South East is exactly the same as any other place in England and then Scotland is suddenly a whole new world) would be economic madness for commutes or even social reasons.

Fact is: GMT is our natural time zone, it should be France and Spain's time zone really but it doesn't affect them as much as they're further south. The South of England gets it lucky, the North of England and Scotland get it worse than the South and they don't complain.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Sulriss wrote: »
    People should really now how to drive safely in the dark surely?

I just saw a woman pull out through red traffic lights and another car coming from a side turning (with a green light) almost crash into her. The woman was using her mobile while driving and it was dark. Nuff said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I just saw a woman pull out through red traffic lights and another car coming from a side turning (with a green light) almost crash into her. The woman was using her mobile while driving and it was dark. Nuff said.

I am sure we can all agree that using a mobile phone whilst driving is wrong, regardless of whether it is dark or not. For every idiot doing it on a dark evening, there will be another doing the same on a dark morning.
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be interesting to see what Republic of Ireland would do. Seems to be overlooked in this, unlike Portugal.

Actually, Ireland are considering it too:

http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/ireland-considers-cet.html
  • lucky74lucky74 Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found that when the big lamp in the sky goes away, headlights are really helpful to see where you are going.
  • lucky74lucky74 Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

That's just an example of a muppet on their cell phone while driving though. That could just as easily happen in daylight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »

That would put sunrise in Galway, near to the west coast, at 9.51 in midwinter and it would only be ten minutes earlier in Dublin. I bet they won't do it and even if they do, it won't last long.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    That would put sunrise in Galway, near to the west coast, at 9.51 in midwinter and it would only be ten minutes earlier in Dublin. I bet they won't do it and even if they do, it won't last long.

Mhm, and look at that too: http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/jersey-time-zone-referendum.html
  • DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »

I was working in Ireland back in 1968 when this was tried last time. Even in November it did not get light until nearly 10'clock on the morning.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Portugal is on the same time zone as us and they too change their cocks

Well, I hope we're not going to start changing our cocks. That sounds like it might require painful surgery.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I hope we're not going to start changing our cocks. That sounds like it might require painful surgery.

I agree.

Who's would I get anyway? This needs more thought before it's introduced.
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Scotland 'is' in a different time zone ........the 1970s

;)

What does that make Wales then?:p
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if you live in Northern England? parts of NE England are further north than Scotland. When they talk about this new time zone nonense they mean Scotland and Southern England (ie London) People in the middle and up don't seem to exist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if you live in Northern England? parts of NE England are further north than Scotland. When they talk about this new time zone nonense they mean Scotland and Southern England (ie London) People in the middle and up don't seem to exist.

Many people in the south of England show a shocking lack of consideration for their fellow countrymen in the north when this issue is discussed.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Scotland should decide for themselves if they want a different time zone to the rest of the country. Likewise, Northern Ireland.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fair point. I don't think people in the South realise just how much difference a few degrees of latitude makes to the light/dark situation. But when you consider that London is about 51 degrees North, and the Arctic Circle is 66 degrees North, you soon realise that every one of those 15 degrees in between is critical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I think Scotland should decide for themselves if they want a different time zone to the rest of the country. Likewise, Northern Ireland.

I think that by and large the Scots are happy with the present arrangement. It's people in the south of England who carp on about this, showing - as we've both just said - precious little consideration for those in the north of England.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    Don't see the logic in it myself...

you go from Glasgow to Carlisle and suddenly need to change time zones?

Sorry if I'm being stupid here :o But to me that makes no sense whatsoever
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I never noticed that :o:o

I shouldnt give the EU any ideas, the next thing we know they will be voting on it.:D
  • DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I never noticed that :o:o

I shouldnt give the EU any ideas, the next thing we know they will be voting on it.:D

I wonder if they will have the same rule as they did for straight and bent bananas? :)
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I'm not fussed about what Scotland does tbh. But I think it's ridiculous we're putting our clocks back again.

It'll be pitch dark when I finish work from now on :mad:

*Every* year we have this two-day debate about whether we should stop this silly system, then everyone forgets about it for another year.

Can someone please sort it out.