Options

Mark. A little contrived?

ToxicBlossomToxicBlossom Posts: 219
Forum Member
Is it just me or does anybody else find Mark a bit contrived? Now don't get me wrong, I do genuinley laugh at some of the things he says. Like when he was nominating Tashie and said that he was worried that if he did anything funny at the same time she was dressed as a Disney character they wouldn't be able to show it for copyright reasons :D

But sometimes I can't help but thinking that he's putting on some of the things he says. Like when he was talking about the chicken with no head. Again, funny, but I kept thinking in the back of my mind, he's putting that on. There's just something about some of the stuff he says that make me think that it's not genuine and is a bit of an act.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    i think he is totally insincere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Ya think? I'm betting his friends have heard these "off the cuff" routines so many times now they put it on mute
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    The problem is that I don't think went it comes to Mark. I just roll my eyes :rolleyes: and think 'yeah-yeah-yeah.'
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Scripted Reality' is the new contrived... apparently :rolleyes:
  • Options
    TarotTarot Posts: 11,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel sorry for Mark, his tortoise was 'nobbed' to death.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His QI diary room entry was cringeworthy. Trying way too hard.

Oddly though he doesn't bother me, maybe because he's at least trying to be interesting, unlike others. ;)
  • Options
    mimi123456mimi123456 Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't like him at all. It is just an act and I am getting bored of it. I think he is trying to be the Stacey Solomon / Amy Childs of the show.

Hopefully he won't win. I would rather Alex win. She really is thick but kinda funny at the same time.
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked him until two days ago. I thought he was genuine but it's so obviously an act. Harry and Alex are my favourites now.
  • Options
    JanisElizabethJanisElizabeth Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimi123456 wrote: »
    Don't like him at all. It is just an act and I am getting bored of it. I think he is trying to be the Stacey Solomon / Amy Childs of the show.

Hopefully he won't win. I would rather Alex win. She really is thick but kinda funny at the same time.

I quite like him even though he is definitely playing the class clown very hard. Can't make up my mind about Alex. Can't help thinking she could be a bit nasty if something really hacked her off but will reserve judgement as I haven't really seen enough of her to decide.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked him until two days ago. I thought he was genuine but it's so obviously an act. Harry and Alex are my favourites now.

I want Harry and Alex to get a spin off show!!! Like the odd couple. :D
  • Options
    mimi123456mimi123456 Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like him even though he is definitely playing the class clown very hard. Can't make up my mind about Alex. Can't help thinking she could be a bit nasty if something really hacked her off but will reserve judgement as I haven't really seen enough of her to decide.

Know what you mean. Looks like she could easily beat someone up if they disagreed with her. Thought she was gonna headbutt Harry the other day when he soaked her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member

I think it's Alex's natural tone of voice and facial expressions give an irate impression unintentionally. I have heard Maisie and Tashie comment but so far I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. I don't think it's intentional.

Like when she kept repeatedly saying to Aaron or Harry, "Ya know N-Dubz?". That was one of the funniest moments for me
  • Options
    BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's prepped a lot of his material before he went in like the soldier stuff for example and I think he spent time thinking about his fox hunting skit.
    However i do think he can be genuinely off the cuff funny!
    The chicken thing was thought up in response to a question BB had just thrown at him which shows he's very quick witted, I found it really funny!
    I also liked the tranquiliser dart thing with Aaron.
    I really like him, not only does he make me laugh but he also can dish out good advice where needed (e.g. with rebeckah) I think Aaron would be a bit lost without him as well!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met him in Thailand a few years ago - he was pretty much exactly the same as he is in the show - a bit more off the wall actually.
  • Options
    CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just me or does anybody else find Mark a bit contrived? Now don't get me wrong, I do genuinley laugh at some of the things he says. Like when he was nominating Tashie and said that he was worried that if he did anything funny at the same time she was dressed as a Disney character they wouldn't be able to show it for copyright reasons :D

But sometimes I can't help but thinking that he's putting on some of the things he says. Like when he was talking about the chicken with no head. Again, funny, but I kept thinking in the back of my mind, he's putting that on. There's just something about some of the stuff he says that make me think that it's not genuine and is a bit of an act.

What do you all think?

I agree - its like a rehearsed stand up routine. Sometimes its funny I will admit and he doesn't annoy me and he is someone I don't mind watching. However his humour seems a bit "worked out" to me. Whereas I find Aaron and Harry more natural with their humour.

I don't dislike Mark but I feel I am being played.:confused:
  • Options
    CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you see as much as I like Alex I find her a bit contrive as well. No one is that stupid and she seems to have no sense of humour.
  • Options
    Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well he has not yet so much as raised a titter from me, I am bored stiff of his nonsense, unfunny, fake, and yet I get the feeling if he dropped all that crap he would be a nice guy..........he might even be naturally funny too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark - a little c*nt!%;"$
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh these threads are just getting monotonous now ( why do I read them then; because I can). I think he is what he is. Just because a person acts a bit of a fool everyone ha it down as some sort of act. I think he is genuinely being himself and I blame the curse of that idiot belo for ruining it for anyone who s actually a bit dim, though I believe mark is smart with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »
    Mark - a little c*nt!%;"$

Thank you for your thoughtful and interesting contribution. :rolleyes:

I am genuinely baffled by all the outrage that Mark might prepare things like his nominations in advance to make them funny. Are only thoughtless blurtings allowed on BB? If he is willing to take the trouble to think up amusing things to say, more power to him. And he does seem like a very nice person. At the moment I like him best by quite a long way.
  • Options
    PaulB1973PaulB1973 Posts: 2,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pity he nommed the chap [Aden] who he gave comforting advice to last Friday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pices-55 wrote: »
    Well he has not yet so much as raised a titter from me, I am bored stiff of his nonsense, unfunny, fake, and yet I get the feeling if he dropped all that crap he would be a nice guy..........he might even be naturally funny too.

Humour is always going to be a matter of taste. Just as I thought Jedward saved CBB I think Mark is saving BB, but I can appreciate that those who don't find them funny might have trouble empathising with this.
  • Options
    StardogStardog Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a good guy. Reminds me of Brian.
  • Options
    Jenna TalwartsJenna Talwarts Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's an act. I think he probably was the class clown and he approaches situations from a humorous angle. No one could pretend to be what they aren't for that long. He reminds me of a couple of friends I have ... just joking about most of the time.

The chicken with the head thing was a challenge...he had to say something mildly interesting to get his suitcase back. I think he did better than most of the other housemates would have done under those circumstances.

He also does provide advice when he's needed to and he doesn't just agree with people if he doesn't believe what they're saying is fair.

Mark's definitely one of my favourites.
  • Options
    Jenna TalwartsJenna Talwarts Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PaulB1973 wrote: »
    Pity he nommed the chap [Aden] who he gave comforting advice to last Friday.

They all have to nominate 2 people....seems to me that Mark gets on with everyone.