Options

Why am I not "Allowed" to be upset" that people cannot speak English

Decorum dictates that I have to start this thread with the phrase "I'm sorry but" but what's the point as the people I am complaining about will not understand anyway (when they choose not to)
Point being why,in this "Multicultural society" must the indiginous population have to bow down and accept that immigrants have not BOTHERED to intergrate themselves into our society/culture/language..Surely the days of "race hatred" are long gone? So why cannot the "people" who want to enter OUR society conform to the basic principles/customs of the UK?

Comments

• Options
    cretincretin Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Que ?
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    This will not end well.:o
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they should intergrate with us indiginous.
  • Options
    InkyPinkyInkyPinky Posts: 4,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats all the excuse I need ..Righty all you English blokes ..bugger off. I was ere first. hoho

Really, do you want to take this argument to it's conclusion?
  • Options
    AJ21AJ21 Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if they can not be bothered to learn basic english or welsh then they should not come to this country
  • Options
    wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what about people from the uk who go to live in france/spain/germany etc etc who cant speak the language?

forgot their called' expats', not immigrants ............
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decorum dictates that I have to start this thread with the phrase "I'm sorry but" but what's the point as the people I am complaining about will not understand anyway (when they choose not to)
    Point being why,in this "Multicultural society" must the indiginous population have to bow down and accept that immigrants have not BOTHERED to intergrate themselves into our society/culture/language..Surely the days of "race hatred" are long gone? So why cannot the "people" who want to enter OUR society conform to the basic principles/customs of the UK?

I agree with this
  • Options
    cretincretin Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Que ?
  • Options
    springtimeloverspringtimelover Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Altho I think its up to the individual if they want to learn a new language , I really can see nothing but good from doing so.

Ive seen a lot of non English speaking people in old folks homes who dont have anyone to talk to, some are/go senile and deteriorate faster because of this :(
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what about people from the uk who go to live in france/spain/germany etc etc who cant speak the language?

Yeah. Would be grateful if the OP could respond to this while I go get a popcorn refill.
  • Options
    steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can never understand people who move to a foreign country and make no attempt to learn the local language. It can't make their life very easy, for a start. Of course most of the Brits who go and do it in Spain, France etc are usually the same ones who complain about other nationalities doing the same thing in the UK.
  • Options
    DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJ21 wrote: »
    if they can not be bothered to learn basic english or welsh then they should not come to this country

If i wanted to live in Greece, I'd expect to learn Greek or it would be very difficult to go about my life.

N.B Learning Welsh wont help them unless they only want to live in a little hamlet near Porthmadog
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iechyd da
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damanda wrote: »
    If i wanted to live in Greece, I'd expect to learn Greek or it would be very difficult to go about my life.

N.B Learning Welsh wont help them unless they only want to live in a little hamlet near Porthmadog

dew dew
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    OP is right unfortunately.

Our current policy is going to back fire badly.
  • Options
    Butcher BillButcher Bill Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they live in enclaves where they can get by fairly comfortably without learning the language then that's what they'll do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iechyd da

Diolch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InkyPinky wrote: »
    dew dew

Barney Mcgrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb?
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whoah. WHOAH.

You only just got here. C'mon, don't be so angry. Just sit down for a bit.

And

*breeeeeaaaaaathe*.

Have a beer.

And then work on your English. Dude, it could REALLY do with it. "Indiginous"? That ain't no typo. "I" and "E" are, like, four keys apart.

Sort it out, and then come and join us.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We call them ex-pats the country they are in will class them as immigrants . If they intend to go to another country they should especially if they want to work learn the language .

I find it not only difficult if you have to work with people who cannot speak your language but also a tad arrogant of the person who assumes they should be able to work in a country with no knowledge of its language, and in a work place it can also be unsafe as if you cannot speak the language then you cannot read items on safety notices etc .

Mind you the overwhelming majority of immigrants to the Uk do try and learn the language they show the Brits up really, but then I suppose historically English has been the major business language of the world which has made us very lazy with other languages.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member

Dont know where your from but Bimingham is over run with these. I can see it spreading throughout the UK. Point being How much more do we give away ? For gods sake you cannot fly the George cross anymore so you don't offend Abdul/Singh etc.. and I for one don't belive if was Abdul or Singh that bloody maoned about it ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barney Mcgrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb?

Da iawn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

if I moved to a foreign country I would try my hardest to learn the language
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is this written in the modern English alphabet and not the traditional old English runic alphabet? Bloody immigrants. If you want to use a Latin alphabet. Go back to Italy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InkyPinky wrote: »
    Da iawn.

Diolch :)