Options

Should benefits be cut for obese people if they refuse to exercise?

dirty dingusdirty dingus Posts: 2,037
Forum Member
✭✭✭
According to Sky News a government proposal says if you are a fattie signing on you may loose housing benefit unless you get yer butt into shape. I'm sure guys like Eric Pickles will end up the driving force behind this scheme. The coalition, what they like.

Comments

• Options
    Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shitty food seems to be cheaper than food that is good for you.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh look. A thread about fat people. I've never seen one of those before on DS. Seriously. Never. Possibly the most original thread i've ever seen. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    According to Sky News a government proposal says if you are a fattie signing on you may loose housing benefit unless you get yer butt into shape. I'm sure guys like Eric Pickles will end up the driving force behind this scheme. The coalition, what they like.

shit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone going to keep their benefits. Was David Cameron not claiming DLA or some form of benefit for his son? (I could be wrong i am sure I read it somewhere)…If so a bit hypocritical a privilidged millionaire being allowed them but down with everyone else.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    I can't find link to this but there was mention on the Today programme this morning of a new American survey suggesting that obese people are healthier than extremely thin ones.

Mind you the Americans would have a vested interest in saying that . :D
  • Options
    Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone is overweight and signing on then they must be classed able to work, therefore why would they be forced to get into shape? I originally thought this would be about overweight people who were so overweight they were classed as disabled and unable to work. That would make more sense.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been listening to the news.

Isn't this to do where a doctor has advised the patient to do exercise to reduce their weight to avoid problems like diabetes but the patient hasn't done what has been suggested?
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shitty food seems to be cheaper than food that is good for you.

wrong
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    We'll help you if you help yourself.

Doesn't seem so unfair to me. If you've no medical condition that makes you fat, then you obviously eat shit and don't exercise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the Financial Times - http://i.imgur.com/de2I4.jpg

Its behind the paywall there hence the screengrab.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Just been listening to the news.

Isn't this to do where a doctor has advised the patient to do exercise to reduce their weight to avoid problems like diabetes but the patient hasn't done what has been suggested?

dodgy ground if that`s the case, where would that leave the freedom to refuse treatment?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    Anyone going to keep their benefits. Was David Cameron not claiming DLA or some form of benefit for his son? (I could be wrong i am sure I read it somewhere)…If so a bit hypocritical a privilidged millionaire being allowed them but down with everyone else.

So? I see nothing hypocritical about it at all. DLA is not means tested and he had every right to.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice choice of words for the thread title :(
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    We'll help you if you help yourself.

Doesn't seem so unfair to me. If you've no medical condition that makes you fat, then you obviously eat shit and don't exercise.

I agree with that to a point but i think more should be done to educate people when it comes to diet and exercise and i'm talking classes and support groups rather than a leaflet.
  • Options
    Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the Financial Times - http://i.imgur.com/de2I4.jpg

Its behind the paywall there hence the screengrab.
    Thanks for the link. Seems to be a punishment aimed at overweight people who refuse medical advice to lose weight. While it's fair to argue that if the taxpayer is paying for them they should do as they're told by their doctor, it's also fair to argue that it shouldn't just apply to overweight people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So? I see nothing hypocritical about it at all. DLA is not means tested and he had every right to.

Well maybe they should be looking into taking benefits away from people that do not need it, such as millionaires, rather than the disabled, poor and now overweight. No fun in bullying your own i guess.

A millionaire who took benefits , telling other people they do not desreve it I do find hypocritical, yes. Sorry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »

Seems fair:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well maybe they should be looking into taking benefits away from people that do not need it, such as millionaires, rather than the disabled, poor and now overweight. No fun in bullying your own i guess.

A millionaire who took benefits , telling other people they do not desreve it I do find hypocritical, yes. Sorry.

I see your point but the child is entitled no matter what's in the parent's bank account.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    Seems fair:cool:

Not "obese", "overweight" or even "morbidly obese" but fatties, yeah that seems fair.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see your point but the child is entitled no matter what's in the parent's bank account.

Why? The parents have adequate money to support the child. The money could go to people in a less priviledged financial position.

You see I would not normally care but this is a guy that has spent the last two years trying to punish and stigmatise the poor and sick for needing help
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't worry, they will be going after the grammatically deficient next.
  • Options
    19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, they will be going after the grammatically deficient next.

Yes maybe they will lose their right to post on internet forums. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not "obese", "overweight" or even "morbidly obese" but fatties, yeah that seems fair.:rolleyes:

Rating people by height and weight, regardless of muscle or bone, is flawed. Fat is the problem. I doubt their are many people who are classed as disabled due to their massive biceps.
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member

I agree lady and what about looking at the money grabbing MP's expenses :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    Rating people by height and weight, regardless of muscle or bone, is flawed. Fat is the problem. I doubt their are many people who are classed as disabled due to their massive biceps.

You have hit on a point. They are still classed as obese going on BMI. How would this be measured? Body Fat content?

If so that makes the previous scale used to monitor and get stats for obesity completely incorrect.