April the 15th will mark the actual anniversary

Where you watching that night?
What are you memories of it?

Comments

• Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was only a baby when this happened, but I've heard the story from my dad so many times I know it off by heart. He collapsed on stage and everyone was laughing thinking it was part of the act, they lowered the curtain and you could see his feet sticking out. Then they wheeled out another comedian (Les Dennis I believe?) who performed with Tommy's feet still sticking out from under the curtain.

His death was then announced on the evening news after the show had finished.

The incident is available to view online, but I've no desire to see it.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, we were watching it at home. My mum clicked straight away as she used to be a sister in A&E, but I was a bit young to understand.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Some tricks take time to realise but this one takes the biscuit.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall it happening, but didn't actually see the programme.
    Problem for the producer/director is that playing dead was exactly the sort of thing Tommy would do, so sadly its possible he contributed to his own death as they left him so long before getting medics to him.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HOW MANY?? :o Bladdy hell, I've just realised I've got one foot in the grave.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were watching it. Such a sad loss, the man was a genius.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    We were all watching. Thought it was part of the show.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, the OP (now the shock is numbing a bit). No, I wasn't watching it - I heard on the news later, and was very glad I wasn't watching it when it happened. I remember some people I knew feeling very guilty because they'd laughed, thinking it was one of his comedy tricks. They weren't to know, of course, but rationality doesn't help with guilt sometimes.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I've seen his statue, many times.
  • Options
    suncitysuncity Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    I remember watching it on YouTube for the first time only the other year. It could have been a lot more graphic and traumatic for people to watch. Then again, the world was a softer place 30 years ago.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    saw it on youtube, it was most unfortunate for him :kitty:
  • Options
    Apple grapeApple grape Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    I'm sure they would have cut it a lot sooner if it happend today. That was some delay
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Strange delayed double post, deleted!
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I was watching, mum was in the kitchen and I shouted to her, 'Mum, Tommy Cooper has just died on stage. She told me not to be silly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member

I was watching it thinking... this isn't that funny yet everyones laughing... I realise now he wasn't trying to be funny, but Im glad he died with the laughter around him
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    It was my 14th birthday but I didn't see the 'Live at Her Majesty's' though. I think we were watching BBC (something like 'All Creatures Great and Small' I guess) as it was a Sunday night and if it wasn't Easter hols, I had school in the morning. Saw it on the news soon afterwards and was shocked that someone died live in TV.

Jimmy Tarbuck was the compere and I don't envy whoever went on to perform after that event.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else remember how the cover of that week's TV Times featured a big photo of Tommy Cooper, with a cheerful grin on his face, to advertise the show?
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think his act was that bad.

Boom boom.

Sorry :(

Loved Tommy Cooper. :)
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Funnily enough I was watching him and Eric Sykes in "The Plank", a few nights ago. Comedy greats, both of them, and a sad loss.

Very little dialogue in that film, and only they could have made the situation as funny as it was.

Was nearly 11 at the time, and never saw the tragedy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at a friends house with a few other mates and her mum shouted out that TC had just died on stage " just like that" came the immediate reply from one of my more witty pals :)
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never found Tommy Cooper funny and I remember thinking that it was just more silliness with regards to his act.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Yes I was watching it live when it happened and first thought it was part of the act and then when they carried on just thought that it was a strange way to end his act. It wasn't until the announcement on the news that followed that it finally smacked me in the face as to what I had just watched.

For years I wanted to see it again but it wasn't on the internet anywhere. Then all of a sudden it was put up by someone, but I had since changed my mind about wanting to see it again.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Whilst many many people thought he was hilarious, I never did rate him or Hancock.

And Tommy Copper was tight with his money and famously never brought a round in his life, but would drink drinks that others had brought.
    He also had a long time affair with his PA which I think his wife knew about.

So not a very nice person at all.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Was only a baby when this happened, but I've heard the story from my dad so many times I know it off by heart. He collapsed on stage and everyone was laughing thinking it was part of the act, they lowered the curtain and you could see his feet sticking out. Then they wheeled out another comedian (Les Dennis I believe?) who performed with Tommy's feet still sticking out from under the curtain.

His death was then announced on the evening news after the show had finished.

The incident is available to view online, but I've no desire to see it.

I thought the BiB was a myth?
    Jimmy Tarbuck was the compere and I don't envy whoever went on to perform after that event.

Agreed. It reminds me of reading in Mick Foley's autobiography about him having to wrestle after Owen Hart's death.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were watching the other side but I remember hearing about it on the news later. I can't believe it's nearly 30 years :o