Options

why has Rik Mayalls death hit people so hard?

kelly_barnardkelly_barnard Posts: 556
Forum Member
✭✭
only asking because i still feel very sad about it :(

Comments

• Options
    charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think because he was an absolute comic genius.
    And also, because he was an incredibly nice guy who made time for his many fans.

God bless you, Rik.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    charlie1 wrote: »
    I think because he was an absolute comic genius.
    And also, because he was an incredibly nice guy who made time for his many fans.

God bless you, Rik.

Same, I wasnt around as he hit fame but its still quite a shock.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    I think we (40 somethings) accept that the starts of the Carry On movies got old and passed away,but Rik was the "new comedian" of our generation.
    2 of the James bonds are over 80 - where does the time go..
  • Options
    EllefEllef Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    I think we (40 somethings) accept that the starts of the Carry On movies got old and passed away,but Rik was the "new comedian" of our generation.
    2 of the James bonds are over 80 - where does the time go..

This is it. For those of us who had grown up on "safe" fare like Morecambe & Wise or Mike Yarwood (good though they were), Mayall and his colleagues felt like something very new and daring. The Young Ones was like nothing we'd seen before, and it was quite a shock to the system for those who were teenagers at the time. It felt like "our" comedy rather than our parents'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    only asking because i still feel very sad about it :(

Because alot of us were totally unexpected by it! It just came out of the blue.

Plenty of us grew up watching Rik in the 80s through the 90s & it was a total shocker we wont see anymore great sitcoms he was in.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because alot of us were totally unexpected by it! It just came out of the blue.

Plenty of us grew up watching Rik in the 80s through the 90s & it was a total shocker we wont see anymore great sitcoms he was in.
    I woke up this morning thinking "Hmmm- its still a Rik-less world" so yes people ARE quite upset. The reasons??
    He was an important figure to his generation. He & his pals had a massive influence on the multi- million pound comedy industry we see today. The death was totally out of the blue.
    People had a lot of affection for him, many grew up with him. He was in several iconic shows. Finally- he was Good! a good actor & comedian & a good man if anectdotes are to believed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    I woke up this morning thinking "Hmmm- its still a Rik-less world" so yes people ARE quite upset. The reasons??
    He was an important figure to his generation. He & his pals had a massive influence on the multi- million pound comedy industry we see today. The death was totally out of the blue.
    People had a lot of affection for him, many grew up with him. He was in several iconic shows. Finally- he was Good! a good actor & comedian & a good man if anectdotes are to believed.

I believe he was part of this generation consider the comedy shows he has been in.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because he's only 4 years older than me.
  • Options
    FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellef wrote: »
    This is it. For those of us who had grown up on "safe" fare like Morecambe & Wise or Mike Yarwood (good though they were), Mayall and his colleagues felt like something very new and daring. The Young Ones was like nothing we'd seen before, and it was quite a shock to the system for those who were teenagers at the time. It felt like "our" comedy rather than our parents'.

I think that's it in a nutshell Ellef. I grew up with my parents watching It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Hi-de-hi, Terry and June and so on - shows that were amusing but old fashioned, ploddy and a bit smug. With the Comic Strip and the Young Ones, it felt as though this was made for us, not our parents.

Even those who didn't love the Young Ones (weirdos ;-) ) can't deny that those shows (along with Blackadder, Ben Elton, Not the Nine O'Clock News) did change the nature of comedy on TV.

Also - he died shockingly young and shockingly suddenly. This wasn't like a Michael Jackson or an Amy Winehouse (sadly inevitable) death, it was utterly out of the blue.

RIP Rik with a silent P.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Because he's only 4 years older than me.

He was barely a year older than me and I think this is why it strikes home so hard. It makes you aware of your own mortality. And as people have said - he was a genuine comic one-off who influenced so many after him .... and by all accounts it seems he was a genuinely nice man.

I'm finding myself singing (to myself) Billy Joel's 'Only The Good Die Young' a lot lately too!
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was a major part of televised comedy during my childhood, always used to love watching things like The Young Ones & Bottom, along with his role in Blackadder. All of them are cult classics that will never be replaced. He was a legend & will be missed by many :(
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »

Thanks for saying it better than I could! That's it, really. I was only about 11 when I came across Kevin Turvey, but thought he was great so obviously found Rik intrisically funny from the off.. Then came The Young Ones which I guess was my generation's Monty Python which I ADORED. Bad News, New Statesman, Blackadder, Bottom....what a hit rate. So, yeah...felt like I grew up with him.

When I heard the news....really felt like someone had whacked me in the stomach. Might sound silly, but I guess not the only one looking at the general response.

Also....bottom line. There's a lot of sh*t and nastiness out there. Obviously. People who make us smile/laugh/feel better.....they are precious and they are few. Rik was one of those people. That's special. So was he.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably because it was unexpected (no rumors of him being ill that I heard of) and he was still pretty young. People are less shocked when someone who is 80 or 90 dies, of course. They might still be sad, but more of a 'yeah, they were getting on a bit' type of reaction.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is always a massive outpouring of grief when a celebrity dies - especially when it is a celebrity who was relatively young and such a supreme talent.

Peaches Geldof's death seemed to garner much of a similar reaction - perhaps people weren't eulogising her quite so much - but the fact that she was a 25 year old Mother of 2 was pretty shocking to most.

& yeah, I am very much of the generation that grew up with Mayall's comedy. & it was fabulous. As was he.

It's a damn shame.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Young
    Talentled (can up you think of one really bad thing he did.)
    Funny
    Nice (no scandals, or hint of a shady past.)
  • Options
    Leanne_Blake1Leanne_Blake1 Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's part of my childhood gone, used to watch the Young ones (I'd only have been about 10) plus he was a very funny guy. Loved the New Statesman too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is always a massive outpouring of grief when a celebrity dies - especially when it is a celebrity who was relatively young and such a supreme talent.

Peaches Geldof's death seemed to garner much of a similar reaction - perhaps people weren't eulogising her quite so much - but the fact that she was a 25 year old Mother of 2 was pretty shocking to most.

& yeah, I am very much of the generation that grew up with Mayall's comedy. & it was fabulous. As was he.

It's a damn shame.

I still havent worked out why she posted a pic on twitter of her & her mother together moments before she died.
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the fact that it was unexpected has a lot to do with it- if he had had a long drawn out illness it would not have been such a shock. He was part of my youth and I assumed he would always be around. He was also, clearly, an exceptionally nice man. I think there's a bit of revisionism about The Young Ones. I actually remember watching it with my parents. Despite appearances, it was fairly family friendly.
  • Options
    FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    Yes, the fact that it was unexpected has a lot to do with it- if he had had a long drawn out illness it would not have been such a shock. He was part of my youth and I assumed he would always be around. He was also, clearly, an exceptionally nice man. I think there's a bit of revisionism about The Young Ones. I actually remember watching it with my parents. Despite appearances, it was fairly family friendly.

Maybe you had really cool parents?! My mum used to get her knickers in a right old twist about it, that they were 'revolting and violent'. Mind you, we weren't allowed to watch Grange Hill either, in case those dreadful children influenced us to start dropping our aitches :) She's unclenched now, thank goodness!
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fatsia wrote: »
    Maybe you had really cool parents?! My mum used to get her knickers in a right old twist about it, that they were 'revolting and violent'. Mind you, we weren't allowed to watch Grange Hill either, in case those dreadful children influenced us to start dropping our aitches :) She's unclenched now, thank goodness!

My parents weren't cool at all ( or at east I didn't think they were!).
    Really, the Young Ones featured lots of slapstick, not much swearing, no nudity and it really wasn't nasty.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was a major part of televised comedy during my childhood, always used to love watching things like The Young Ones & Bottom, along with his role in Blackadder. All of them are cult classics that will never be replaced. He was a legend & will be missed by many :(

exactly this!
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Because he was a comedy genius!

I grew up watching him on tv, first as Kevin Turvey then in the Young Ones, Bottom and Drop Dead Fred!

Rik WAS comedy, imo, end of!
  • Options
    Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me and my sister used to get stomach aches from laughing at Bottom, especially the fairground episode!

"Don't you dare call me overweight young man!" ...

RIP Rik. A legend.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rik MayalL was as funny as hell in Bottom. The faces he pulled were hilarious. :D It was always on the TV in our house back then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it the huge comedy frying pan?