Wearing sunglasses when shortsighted

highland paddyhighland paddy Posts: 672
Forum Member
✭✭
I've recently started wearing glasses and wouldn't mind using sunglasses in the summer. Are you basically restricted to wearing prescription sunglasses, and if so how much do they usually come in at including lenses and frames? Kind of sucks if you can't just wear a pair from the shops.

Comments

• i4nic8i4nic8 Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    I think you can still buy clip-ons
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just got some from specsavers, would have been £69 but they were free with my proper glasses as they have a 2for1 offer on.

I think there were cheaper ones.

If you know your prescription you could have a look at online sites, might get some cheap.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Go for reactive lenses
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    I have two pair of prescription sunglasses and two pair of clip-ons. The fomer will always look cooler but the latter are more convenient.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    Go for reactive lenses

I have these. The only downside is the ones I have don't work in the car so can be a bit of a pain in the sun, but a lot of the time Boots or Specsavers have offers on a 2nd pair.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clip-ons always look stupid.

I don't like reactive lenses as they have a life of their own, especially when you are driving.

Proper sunglasses frames with proper prescription lenses is the answer. I have a good pair that I use when out and about and a cheaper pair that I keep in the car
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    You have a number of options:

Normal glasses and prescription sunglasses, my preferred method but you look like a **** on the underground if you can't be bothered to switch back to the normal ones, and you need to be sure your prescription isn't changing too often otherwise it can get costly.

Clip on shades, handy but look dorky,

Reactive lenses, great as its just one pair and no hassle of changing between pairs. Personally I find the time it takes to react is a little too long for my liking so when driving out of a tunnel into the blazing sunshine you can get blinded for a few seconds.

Contact lenses and normal shades, a compromise to be able to wear whatever shades you like but assuming you can wear contacts.

In terms of cost it could be anything from free with another pair to several hundred pounds for a designer pair of prescriptions (mine are Oakley and were around £400).
    Clips on again are varied, as are reactive and contacts. I guess its what you're willing to pay and whether you are particular conscious about how they look and whether you want designer or not.
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are sunglasses available now which wrap around your own prescription sunglasses.

Here's a sample nu they're available from many places now

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vision-WrapAround-Unisex-Anti-Glare-Sunglasses/dp/B004EPSVIK
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Clip-ons always look stupid.

I don't like reactive lenses as they have a life of their own, especially when you are driving.

Proper sunglasses frames with proper prescription lenses is the answer. I have a good pair that I use when out and about and a cheaper pair that I keep in the car
    Don't the two or three main specs shops always have a two for one deal on?

They always seem to at specsavers and I got glasses the same style but one with dark lenses.

You also have the choice to choose a different style though as generally sunglasses are more stylish than regular glasses.
    Forum Member
    There are sunglasses available now which wrap around your own prescription sunglasses.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vision-WrapAround-Unisex-Anti-Glare-Sunglasses/dp/B004EPSVIK
    Wouldn't it depend on your glasses style though?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    In terms of cost it could be anything from free with another pair to several hundred pounds for a designer pair of prescriptions (mine are Oakley and were around £400).

I recently treated myself to a pair of prescription Oakleys though my prescription is outside of their usual range so I had to get the lenses made as a custom job. They were expensive but I love them. I'm just frightened of losing them.

Urrghhh... they look even worse than clip-ons.
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Don't the two or three main specs shops always have a two for one deal on?

They always seem to at specsavers and I got glasses the same style but one with dark lenses.

You also have the choice to choose a different style though as generally sunglasses are more stylish than regular glasses.

Previously I have always gone to Specsavers when they had a 2-for-1 offer on and have always been happy but recently I got a a cheap pair of glasses and sunglasses as spares to take on holiday from: http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/sun-glasses/
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I've recently started wearing glasses and wouldn't mind using sunglasses in the summer. Are you basically restricted to wearing prescription sunglasses, and if so how much do they usually come in at including lenses and frames? Kind of sucks if you can't just wear a pair from the shops.

You can, But you won't be able to see as well as with prescription ones. I don't understand what you want the solution to be?
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Wouldn't it depend on your glasses style though?

Those ones are very large, comfy and easy to wear.

I also use the wrap arounds for night driving as I am sensitive to flashing lights.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently treated myself to a pair of prescription Oakleys though my prescription is outside of their usual range so I had to get the lenses made as a custom job. They were expensive but I love them. I'm just frightened of losing them.

Urrghhh... they look even worse than clip-ons.

Previously I have always gone to Specsavers when they had a 2-for-1 offer on and have always been happy but recently I got a a cheap pair of glasses and sunglasses as spares from: http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/sun-glasses/

(if you are a woman) - Don't do what I did and use one of those chain things that hang round your neck - it scratch my lenses and had to have some more made - expensive mistake.

I bought a rubber lanyard which does not scratch - this type of thing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/390172481454?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

We spend a lot of time in the sun so always wear a large brimmed hat and tuck the lanyard under the hat.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member

Its probably one of the most expensive thing you'll take on holiday with you but they'll end up on your face for most of the time anyway hopefully :)
    Forum Member
    If you're sporty then get a sports strap.

I use my old glasses with a sports strap when I go to Thope Park etc.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    I have these. The only downside is the ones I have don't work in the car so can be a bit of a pain in the sun, but a lot of the time Boots or Specsavers have offers on a 2nd pair.
    That's why I keep a pair of prescription sun glasses in the car. Specsavers don't usually charge for the frames for the sunglasses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    Its probably one of the most expensive thing you'll take on holiday with you but they'll end up on your face for most of the time anyway hopefully :)

My theory is that the more expensive they are the better I'll take care of them. I have lost some cheap sunglasses in the past by putting them down in a bar or restaurant while I put my normal glasses on - then walked off without them.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    contact lenses, you'll never look back
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have these for driving but would not wear them out in public.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Clip-ons always look stupid
    I like to think mine don't look that bad. The trick is to get a pair that are the right size and shape for the glasses they are to be used with.
    Urrghhh... they look even worse than clip-ons
    Far worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    contact lenses, you'll never look back

Not for me. I can't cope with the idea of poking small pieces of glass/plastic into my eyes. I can't even watch other people put their contacts in or take them out. Nobody is going to shine any lasers into my eyes either.

I have been wearing glasses since I was 5 years old so they are part of me. I can't imagine not having them.
    Forum Member
    Not for me. I can't cope with the idea of poking small pieces of glass/plastic into my eyes. I can't even watch other people put their contacts in or take them out. Nobody is going to shine any lasers into my eyes either.

I have been wearing glasses since I was 5 years old so they are part of me. I can't imagine not having them.
    Same here. I tried once and couldn't even get them in.
    I've been wearing glasses since I started colledge and now would feel strange without them.

At college there was a guy who couldn't use them because of the shape of his eyes or something. Things might have advanced since those days but there are people who can't or don't want to wear them.

Anyway, if you wear glasses then the simple solution is to get perscription sunglasses.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clip on shades
    Perscription sunglasses
    Reactive lens on your regular glasses

Option 3 is the most expensive but best. Just to clarify, it's not like an instant change from light to dark and back, not like pressing a switch. Takes a while to change, so headlights zooming toward u for a few seconds shouldn't trigger them to change. I have had countless pairs with this feature and this has never been a problem with any of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Specsavers are doing free reactions on one pair of glasses at the moment. Or as I mentioned earlier the other option is buy 1 get 1 free and you can have prescription sunglasses in that offer. you can't have free reactions and BOGOF though.