Options

No border-line singers?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,259
Forum Member
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the lack of fairly decent singers who get turned away because they aren't quite good enough?

This happened in previous years where a contestant would split the panel and end up getting turned away, despite having a fairly decent voice but the support of only two judges - hence we have people coming back to try their luck in later series (including this one).

So far this year I don't remember seeing anyone who fitted this description and the show has become more and more polarised between the folk who all the judges love and the awful ones they ridicule.

Surely this only further detracts from the shows already waning credibility?
Anyone else noticed this or have I missed an instance where this happened this year?

Comments

• Options
    JimmyJoeJimmyJoe Posts: 17,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen few borderline and a handful who are a actually decent.

The auditions this year have been really focused on the crap. Tonight was probably worst overall of the series. One person for me - Hannah - who stood out just.

Hopefully theres a noticeable difference at bootcamp as right now I could name the potential winners on one hand just.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JimmyJoe wrote: »
    I've seen few borderline and a handful who are a actually decent.
    Oh yeah I mean some of the ones they've put through are quite dubious but I mean there hasn't really been anyone who half the panel liked and were quite a good singer but just failed to secure a third vote.

This happened in previous series where it was usually Simon who sent them packing, despite Louis and Sharon saying otherwise. They'd usually be edited quite favourably too - rather than just the current "favourable edit = good singer, bad edit = bad singer" line, where you can basically predict the result as soon as the background music starts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    Theres been tons of borderline boys gone through this year. I don't think they should go through if they are borderline good singers anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    utoia2007 wrote: »
    Theres been tons of borderline boys gone through this year. I don't think they should go through if they are borderline good singers anyway.
    Not what I'm saying.

I'm talking about people who are fairly good but get knocked back. People who get the support of half the panel but miss out on their third 'yes'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm... having just seen tonights ep, I guess you could say your bloke who auditioned in 2005 kinda fits into this category.
    His voice was very, very average but they did sort of give him a sob story and a favourable edit, even though he got voted down.
  • Options
    Early DoorsEarly Doors Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Chief wrote: »
    Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the lack of fairly decent singers who get turned away because they aren't quite good enough?

This happened in previous years where a contestant would split the panel and end up getting turned away, despite having a fairly decent voice but the support of only two judges - hence we have people coming back to try their luck in later series (including this one).

So far this year I don't remember seeing anyone who fitted this description and the show has become more and more polarised between the folk who all the judges love and the awful ones they ridicule.

Surely this only further detracts from the shows already waning credibility?
    Anyone else noticed this or have I missed an instance where this happened this year?

I don't know that I agree with that. I don't think Tony (piano man) and the blond plumber who was asked to come back in different clothes, with a different attitude, etc, should have been rejected for a start.
  • Options
    Faria262Faria262 Posts: 6,952
    Forum Member
    If acts like the girlband with robotic voices and Ryan, the overconfident guy singing R Kelly were good enough, I don't see why Tony and Greg weren't (Piano man and Xtra plumber) - in fact, I would've put them through ahead of the other two I mentioned.

A lot of contestants who'd be boderline probably aren't put in front of the judges. maybe the "borderline" scenario isn't one of Simon's favourite ways of making "good TV".