Options

Is Cilla Black the most unpleasant person in showbiz?

Comments

• Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deedee1962 wrote: »
    Whoever said that George was boring must be mad because by all accounts he was anything but, I think that Paul and John had big ego's but I still love them , and I think they were all nice in their own way. George even sent me a autograph in the post in 1978, my sister who was ace at writing letters wrote to him for me and 12 weeks later we received a envelope with the Dark Horse logo on with 3 autographs inside.

I also met Paul in 2006 and he was lovely called me sweetheart and winked at me.
    I've met Paul on several occasions and he's always been nice to me. There have been incidents of him losing it with people, but that's generally been when they have been hanging around his house. There is a list of famous friends who get invited to everything he does -Twiggy, Chrissie Hynde, Peter Blake, not Cilla.
    So back to Cilla. I'm old enough to remember her on television in the late 60s/early 70s, and, ok I was young, but I do remember her as likeable. She also, as others said, was a pioneer of involving the general public. I found this intro to one of her shows on You Tube.
    http://youtu.be/CaLi1ltwOLU
    What a lineup of guests. All legendary in their own way apart from " television's newest comedian" - er, who? It really seems to me that it was the success of Blind Date that turned her into a monster- unless she hid it better in the early days.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    charlie1 wrote: »
    Whatever you may think about Cilla Black; imo you can't deny that she sang some cracking songs.

'Alfie' for one springs to mind. Magnificent orchestration by the genius Burt Bacharach, alongside her cracking vocals makes this song just truly beautiful.

You are joking, right?

Her voice is not a particularly nice experience, Bacharach's beautiful arrangements were the sugar to soften the blow...

She was part of that 60's pop movement. But it was strictly 'showbiz'. She has NO artistry to her whatsoever in the music dept. I'm sure even Cilla would probably agree with that...

I've (tried) to sit thru a hits compilation of hers (in the name of irony, but also out of curiosity too), but, it was an absolute ordeal.

DUSTY was music, Cilla was showbiz, lets keep it at that.;-)
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,021
    Forum Member
    mr muggles wrote: »
    You are joking, right?

Her voice is not a particularly nice experience, Bacharach's beautiful arrangements were the sugar to soften the blow...

She was part of that 60's pop movement. But it was strictly 'showbiz'. She has NO artistry to her whatsoever in the music dept. I'm sure even Cilla would probably agree with that...[/B

]I've (tried) to sit thru a hits compilation of hers (in the name of irony, but also out of curiosity too), but, it was an absolute ordeal.

I don't think she would, not for one second.

Let's not keep it at that. You're entitled to an opinion but that's all it is so telling people what they should and shouldn't think or say is a bit silly. There are plenty others who think she was a talented singer at one point, me included.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    I don't think she would, not for one second.

Let's not keep it at that. You're entitled to an opinion but that's all it is so telling people what they should and shouldn't think or say is a bit silly. There are plenty others who think she was a talented singer at one point, me included.

The proof is on the vinyl/cd/mp3...

She has a ghastly voice with a particular shrillness to it. If she had any interest in pursuing this field she would of, right? Or wrong? She's stuck with what she's good at, which is showbiz/lite entertainment. At the end of the day, Burt Bacharachs musical arrangments were wasted on her voice. It simply isn't a good voice.

I'm not keen on her, but i'm not as 'hateful' as others are on this thread! However, when it comes to music, i'll have my two-penneth!

As far as 'telling people ' what they should think, I don't think i've made a big deal over anything other than give the honest truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The proof is on the vinyl/cd/mp3...

She has a ghastly voice with a particular shrillness to it. If she had any interest in pursuing this field she would of, right? Or wrong? She's stuck with what she's good at, which is showbiz/lite entertainment. At the end of the day, Burt Bacharachs musical arrangments were wasted on her voice. It simply isn't a good voice.

I'm not keen on her, but i'm not as 'hateful' as others are on this thread! However, when it comes to music, i'll have my two-penneth!

As far as 'telling people ' what they should think, I don't think i've made a big deal over anything other than give the honest truth.

Cilla had 19 top 40 hits over 10 years so her singing career wasn't exactly here today, gone tomorrow. She continued to record and tour for much longer too, but I've done my homework. She was having hits in tandem with her having her own tv show in the 60's too. As pretty much what always happens, musical tastes change, artists fall in and out of favour with the public and she did then become more known for her telly career. Actually, you did tell people what to think by saying "let's leave it at that" as if your view is the only correct one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cilla had 19 top 40 hits over 10 years so her singing career wasn't exactly here today, gone tomorrow. She was having hits in tandem with her having her own tv show in the 60's too. As pretty much what always happens, musical tastes change, artists fall in and out of favour with the public and she did then become more known for her telly career. Actually, you did tell people what to think by saying "let's leave it at that" as if your view is the only correct one.

I'm sure they're all loved by those of her era, however i never hear any Cilla being played on radio though. I've never seen any great retrospective of her musical career, aside from the usual Beatles/Bacharach links. The cd I listened to was quite a detailed overview of her career. Believe me, I gave her a chance!

Musical 'taste' is one thing, but, i'm pretty sure that if you had a musical scholar look at her material, they would declare her voice - 'unique'...

If you could sit through an entire concert of her singing live - good on you, maybe in the spirit of camp irony...Maybe, if you're drunk.

I can understand someone defending Cilla as a person on this thread, as theres lots of bile on here, however, as a singer no, no & thrice no!

And if i'm seen as forcing my opinion down someones throat, I can quite happily live with that.
  • Options
    HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    This acoustic demo of Step Inside Love is quite nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVMel5gS84Y
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This acoustic demo of Step Inside Love is quite nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVMel5gS84Y

That's actually ok (Ella Nuts gonna love that!), however, for the the most part she sang flat. She should've stuck with the demo! And i'm still sticking to my guns Ella!
  • Options
    hickenhicken Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the itv adaptation is showing her as quite ruthless which is quite brave considering she's still alive.

A piece in the Liverpool Echo said that her son was executive producer on it, and that she spent a lot of time with the writer, and was very candid about her story.
  • Options
    charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are joking, right?

She was part of that 60's pop movement. But it was strictly 'showbiz'. She has NO artistry to her whatsoever in the music dept. I'm sure even Cilla would probably agree with that...

I've (tried) to sit thru a hits compilation of hers (in the name of irony, but also out of curiosity too), but, it was an absolute ordeal.

No, I'm not joking.

Even Burt Bacharach said her voice had an edge to it.

And I would like to think that a genius such as Burt would not have ever dreamed to record Alfie if he did not think that she could pull it off.

I admit that her shrillness could be slightly off putting. But the softness in her vocals that comes across, IMO, counteracts that.
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    You re my World ... was one fabulous song

(An Italian song actually )

Cilla made a good version of it

Just realised that the bird playing Cilla is
    that bird from the two pints larger sitcom
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    hicken wrote: »
    A piece in the Liverpool Echo said that her son was executive producer on it, and that she spent a lot of time with the writer, and was very candid about her story.

fair play to her then. I am enjoying the biopic.
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    But the softness in her vocals that comes across, IMO, counteracts that.

Bit like Sarah Brightman.... dont go for it when she gets operatic style but when she sings with her own, natural, soft voice ... I love it .
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've heard, she'd have to be very unpleasant to be more disliked than Peter Kay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fair play to her then. I am enjoying the biopic.

Me too. I think the writing and acting are great. It looks and sounds a lot more authentic than recent BBC mid-century dramas - I read that they used CGI after filming on Liverpool streets to make them look as they did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, I'm not joking.

Even Burt Bacharach said her voice had an edge to it.

And I would like to think that a genius such as Burt would not have ever dreamed to record Alfie if he did not think that she could pull it off.

I admit that her shrillness could be slightly off putting. But the softness in her vocals that comes across, IMO, counteracts that.

Yes, I agree. "I've been wrong before" is, for me, one of her best vocals. Powerful yet haunting.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Yes, I agree. "I've been wrong before" is, for me, one of her best vocals. Powerful yet haunting.

As much as I dislike the Cilla of the 'Surprise Surprise' and 'Blind Date' eras - I have to say that before she had her nose operation - Cilla Black not only had a good voice - she had a fricking brilliant voice. I LOVED that nasally sound (some people called it shrill) but she made a song her own. And as much as Sheridan Smith is doing a good version of songs - it is nowhere nearly as good as Cilla's early (pre-nose job) voice.

A lot of people mention Dusty Springfield in comparison to Cilla. I have to say - as much as I respect people's opinions of Dusty's songs (and her version of Windmills of Your Mind was fricking brilliant) given the choice - I'd rather listen to some early Cilla than early Dusty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As much as I dislike the Cilla of the 'Surprise Surprise' and 'Blind Date' eras - I have to say that before she had her nose operation - Cilla Black not only had a good voice - she had a fricking brilliant voice. I LOVED that nasally sound (some people called it shrill) but she made a song her own. And as much as Sheridan Smith is doing a good version of songs - it is nowhere nearly as good as Cilla's early (pre-nose job) voice.

A lot of people mention Dusty Springfield in comparison to Cilla. I have to say - as much as I respect people's opinions of Dusty's songs (and her version of Windmills of Your Mind was fricking brilliant) given the choice - I'd rather listen to some early Cilla than early Dusty.

Me too. Both Cilla and Dusty recorded I've been wrong before in fact, and Cilla's version is frankly the better performance. Her's has so much more light and shade to it, is the best way I can explain it. I expect we are in a very small minority but it's a matter of personal preference.

EDIT - I just listened to Dusty's Windmills of your mind, I can't believe I had never heard this version before. Wow, Dusty at her best I think.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Me too. Both Cilla and Dusty recorded I've been wrong before in fact, and Cilla's version is frankly the better performance. Her's has so much more light and shade to it, is the best way I can explain it. I expect we are in a very small minority but it's a matter of personal preference.

EDIT - I just listened to Dusty's Windmills of your mind, I can't believe I had never heard this version before. Wow, Dusty at her best I think.

Dusty's Windmills of Your Mind was just fricking brilliant!
  • Options
    WeeJintyMcGintyWeeJintyMcGinty Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Musical 'taste' is one thing, but, i'm pretty sure that if you had a musical scholar look at her material, they would declare her voice - 'unique'...

Personal opinion is one thing but if you think it's for 'musical scholars' to decide on the merits of pop records then you don't understand pop music at all. Pop music was never about perfect musicianship or technique but raw emotion and appeal that captured the zeitgeist of the times. Cilla did that, as have plenty of others down the years that weren't expert songwriters, musicians or singers for the scholars to gush over.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member

Totally agree. Cilla's early stuff is fantastic. I wish they'd decided to have Sheridan miming, because although she's having a good crack at it she is nowhere near the originals. In fact her imitation will be backing up those with the opinion that Cilla had a rubbish voice which in my opinion is far from the truth.

I do have to agree with the earlier posters comment about artistry though. I think she was a kid with a great voice which was of its time but I don't think she really "felt" the music. It was a performance and no more. We'll see evidence of that in next weeks episode when she records Alfie with Burt Bacharach. He made her do many many takes looking for that elusive "something". She didnt understand that, and thought the first take was fine. It was in tune, sounded good, that's all it was for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    Totally agree. Cilla's early stuff is fantastic. I wish they'd decided to have Sheridan miming, because although she's having a good crack at it she is nowhere near the originals. In fact her imitation will be backing up those with the opinion that Cilla had a rubbish voice which in my opinion is far from the truth.

I do have to agree with the earlier posters comment about artistry though. I think she was a kid with a great voice which was of its time but I don't think she really "felt" the music. It was a performance and no more. We'll see evidence of that in next weeks episode when she records Alfie with Burt Bacharach. He made her do many many takes looking for that elusive "something". She didnt understand that, and thought the first take was fine. It was in tune, sounded good, that's all it was for her.

Actually, George Martin asked "What is it exactly you are looking for Burt?" and when Burt said "that little piece of magic", it was George who said "I think we got that on take 3.", Burt went back and listened to it, and agreed. I don't know, I don't really understand this 'not feeling' songs. I think in the very early days she was inconsistent in that area but improved hugely as the decade progressed.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Actually, George Martin asked "What is it exactly you are looking for Burt?" and when Burt said "that little piece of magic", it was George who said "I think we got that on take 3.", Burt went back and listened to it, and agreed. I don't know, I don't really understand this 'not feeling' songs. I think in the very early days she was inconsistent in that area but improved hugely as the decade progressed.

You're absolutely right about it being George Martin, I stand corrected!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDF_taQnoXk

One of my favourites was "Step Inside Love" which was the track they used as the opening of one of her TV series. I never heard the whole thing back then though, because as soon as the music struck up, wherever he was in the house my dad would shout "GET THAT WOMAN OFF!!" - he couldn't stand her :D
  • Options
    poshnoshposhnosh Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cilla was a successful recording artiste despite her voice, not because of it.

It also helps if you get to record Burt Bacharach songs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poshnosh wrote: »
    Cilla was a successful recording artiste despite her voice, not because of it.

It also helps if you get to record Burt Bacharach songs.

That's rather skewed. I read up a bit on her history after watching the ITV drama. It seems Burt Bacharach had a high opinion of her voice and she was his choice for Alfie. He said: "There weren't too many white singers around who could convey the emotion that I felt in many of the songs I wrote, but that changed with people like Cilla Black."

http://www.jazzwax.com/2010/02/alfie.html
This discussion has been closed.