Films the majority of people love, but you absolutely hate

Comments

• JohnQuigJohnQuig Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    I can't understand why everybody loves The Hangover, Project X... any films like that. I'm 20, I'm supposedly their target demographic but I'd rather watch Blue Jasmine or something.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    The Avengers
    Iron Man 3 I would say 2 as well but don't think that was well liked.
    Captain America
    Return of the Jedi
    Mamma Mia (though not seen it, but as I cannot stand ABBA, don't really think I need to)
    Titanic
    The Wizard of Oz
    Kill Bill 1 & 2

If you didn't like Iron Man 2 or Captain America, why on earth did you watch Avengers and Iron Man 3?
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill 2.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In agreement with quite a few here:

Shawshank - never understood its poll-topping appeal.
    Mamma Mia - like many of the cast, Abba and love musicals, but just found this naff karaoke. Similar goes for Moulin Rouge.
    Batman Begins (etc) - worst, with TDKR, of the three. TDK is almost bearable (due to Ledger), but still don't get why people cream themselves over them.
    Gladiator - it's ok, I guess.
    Most Tarantino films - find them over-hyped. Jackie Brown's ok, and bits of Kill Bill, but find them all disjointed and bitty. Django is probably most mature work, but could do with serious pruning.

My guilty pleasure 'most hate/I love' are Twilight films. Naff but sort of fun. :D
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you didn't like Iron Man 2 or Captain America, why on earth did you watch Avengers and Iron Man 3?

Let me see...Iron Man & Thor were very good. I didn't go and see each film expecting to dislike them. I will go and see Captain America 2 as well, from the trailers it looks good.

I judge each film on it's own merits, not lump them all together, because one or two I might dislike, doesn't mean I will dislike them all, I need to see them to make that opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put the hard hat on for these but Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, American Beauty, Memento, Raiders of the Lost Arc, Sixth Sense, most Disney Pixar, all Harry Potter and most Superhero, Fantasy/Sci-Fi, Comic book, James Bond and Summer Blockbuster films. All teen comedies too.

Cant stand any of them. I would have the very first three I mentioned though as the ones I really couldn't stand the most.

So uhhh...what exactly do you like?

The thread is called "...films you absolutely hate" but someone has put Iron Man, with a comment that its "ok", well you don't absolutely hate it then do you?

Lrn2read ffs :P
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    There is, of course, no way of ascertaining a majority unless everyone who has ever seen a particular film was polled on it. I understand long-standing popularity can breed a vague, general consensus, but these things should never be carved in stone. I digress.
    Scott_P wrote: »
    The thread is called "...films you absolutely hate" but someone has put Iron Man, with a comment that its "ok", well you don't absolutely hate it then do you?

Good point. Hate is a very strong term, and if we're honest with ourselves, it would, if at all, only really apply to a very select few.

American Beauty
    . Smug, phoney middle class crap with platitudes passed off as insight. If you want the flattering sheen of something clever but not the content, this'll be right up your street.

The Cabin in the Woods. Dopey deconstruction, far too pleased with itself. Another film that flatters idiots.

Lost in Translation. A fickle, self-centrered rich girl's conceit of a film. Completely empty unless you see faces in clouds. As with AB, the scent of something more lingers in the air, but it never actually arrives. You could say nasty traces of western superiority can be detected, though that may just be blithe ignorance on the film-maker's part.

Schindler's List a.k.a. Indiana Jones in the Krakow Ghetto. Not so much the film itself (which is artfully shot Spielberg syrup), but the fawning reverence with which it's held. The subject matter alone arm-twists the audience into respecting it, and yet here is a film supposedly about the Holocaust that actually makes the Holocaust look not that bad. Well done, everyone.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,197
    Forum Member
    There are a few films I can't stand, like The Shawshank Redemption.:eek::eek:

Everybody else seemingly loves it, but for me, it's a cliched-ridden, over-acted, far-fetched, boring, tale with an unconvincing plot/story and conclusion.

And they're just its good points. :D

Any other movies you do not get the love for. Can be any film that's hailed as a great.

Thanks for your input. ;)

This describes Forrest Gump for me. I HATE THAT FILM! Bloody brilliant soundtrack, i admit i own it. But i hate that film!
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    The Blues Brothers, a self-indulgent, overblown mess of a movie. The music's good though,
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scott_P wrote: »
    So uhhh...what exactly do you like?

Lrn2read ffs :P

In all seriousness, I have thought before about starting a thread on here, trying to understand more what I like, as its always a problem when Im searching through hundreds of films on Virgin and by genre, there isnt really one which I would say I instantly look towards.

Broadly speaking, a film has to be one where I dont know how it'll end, which wipes out many genres.

Although, I reassure myself that most of my 9 or 10/10 films on IMDB are in the top 250, or have been. Without taking the thread in the opposite direction, Shawshank, Great Escape, Usual Suspects, Magnificent 7, Castaway, Goodfellas, Young Guns, Back to the Future, Tombstone, Airplane, Papillon, And Then There Were None, Donnie Darko, Four Weddings, Holy Grail, Life of Brian, Groundhog Day and Gran Torino all brilliant. And Bill & Teds!

Never seen a bad Hitchcock film either.

Ive no idea what that says. Mix of Time Travel/being stranded/Escaping/Playing detective and a decent twist and humour either English or slapstick. But short of exploding cars, non humans and knob jokes!
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Life of Pi...I was really looking forward to this and just felt like falling asleep..I have a reasonably good attention span and enjoy a wide variety of films..but this didn't thrill me at all.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Lost in Translation
    Forrest Gump
    Audition
    Ringu
    Seven Samurai
    Battle Royale
    Silence of the Lambs
    Once Upon a Time in America
    Gone With the Wind
    13 Assassins
    The Exorcist
    Halloween
    Casablanca
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

I don't hate them, though. They just simply didn't work for me. Enough to irritate me deeply when people recommend them to me.

There are only six films I truly hate, but most people haven't heard of those films, thank god. :D

I'm curious - What are the six?
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Silence of the Lambs...

Yeah, I never found Silence of the Lambs scary or interesting either.

The part where Hopkins says 'and I ate his liver' (or words to that effect) and he wriggles his tongue, I thought that was very funny., :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVlkZVAw8Gc

Good point. Hate is a very strong term..

I used the word very loosely. ;)
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    Mamma Mia- loved by all women everywhere... 'cept me! Its just a Massive cringe!!:o:o

Hate to tell you. Not just you. Others here (I think some are ladeez) feel the same way.

And include me. I watched an hour or more of it, in a vain effort to convince myself it couldn't possibly be as bad as I was thinking it was. I gave up and vowed never to try to watch it again.
    Forum Member
    Grease I remember it being shown on video at school as some sort of treat and everyone bar me wetting themselves in delight. I liked Grease 2 much more.
    Dirty Dancing I also hate with a passion prefered Patrick Swayze in Point Break,what narks me is as a girl/woman im meant to love this shite.

As shown here in the case of Mamma Mia, there are women (and probably lots more than we think) who can't stand Mamma Mia, Grease, DD or the like. There's really nothing to get narked about.
  • scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    As shown here in the case of Mamma Mia, there are women (and probably lots more than we think) who can't stand Mamma Mia, Grease, DD or the like. There's really nothing to get narked about.

Aw thanks its because when I was younger I was made to feel like an oddity for not liking those films. I did give Mamma Mia a go and thought that was pants as was Pretty Woman.:-D
    Forum Member
    Aw thanks its because when I was younger I was made to feel like an oddity for not liking those films. I did give Mamma Mia a go and thought that was pants as was Pretty Woman.:-D

As an ex boyfriend of mine once said to me "you're not very girly, are you." Now, I love Grease, enjoy Pretty Woman as a bit of escapist tosh, Dirty Dancing (same but it does have cracking music and Cynthia Rhodes's fabulous dancing) but there's loads more chickflicks I can't be doing with and unless ]there's a sharp script and some knock-out performances involved, I won't bother watching anything like that any more.

Growing up I was often to be found watching spaghetti westerns, the dirty harry films, Westworld, The Terminator and for "fun" Hammer Horrors.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    I hated all the Jurassic Parks.

I just can't get into dinosaur related stuff at all.

So you proceeded to watch all three of them.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    really didn't like The King's Speech. Or The English Patient (loved Elaine in Seinfeld on that one).
    In fact many of the Oscar winning films drive me nuts.
    Forrest Gump for example.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you proceeded to watch all three of them.

My partner likes this sort of thing so he watched them whilst I read a book. From what I saw, I didn't like any of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    As an ex boyfriend of mine once said to me "you're not very girly, are you." Now, I love Grease, enjoy Pretty Woman as a bit of escapist tosh, Dirty Dancing (same but it does have cracking music and Cynthia Rhodes's fabulous dancing) but there's loads more chickflicks I can't be doing with and unless ]there's a sharp script and some knock-out performances involved, I won't bother watching anything like that any more.

Growing up I was often to be found watching spaghetti westerns, the dirty harry films, Westworld, The Terminator and for "fun" Hammer Horrors.

Me too. I much prefer action and science fiction.

But if I hear enough fan-fair about a girly movie, I'll watch it and usually, it's then pretty decent such as Bridget Jones and 10 Things I Hate About You.

Many 'girlie' movies are just boring garbage though. It's a no wonder that many don't do very well.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Mamma Mia- loved by all women everywhere... 'cept me! Its just a Massive cringe!!:o:o

I second that. Mamma Mia was appalling drivel.

I also dislike James Bond films. The series ran out of steam years ago and belongs to another era.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yaristaman wrote: »
    I'm curious - What are the six?

Map of the Sounds of Tokyo (2009)
    Bad Guy (2001)
    Tenshi no Tamago (Angel's Egg) (animated) (1985) (a painfully slow ham-fisted take on Christianity versus Shintoism, with the story wrapping around the concept of an oft-quoted line* from a novel)
    Twisted Nerve (1968)
    Au Hasard Balthazar (1966)
    A Hen in the Wind (1948)

Neighbour No. 13 (2005) is listed as well, but I'm leaving it off for this thread because the dislike essentially has nothing to do with the film itself. It's wonderfully dark, yet an incoherent mess. I had to watch it repeatedly in eight hours as a rush translation job. For a media company that needed subtitles for its theatrical release, but didn't have a copy of the script delivered in time. Each flaw of the film grew more irritating with each viewing, which had me disliking it so much that I couldn't stand the title, some actors and the soundtrack for a long time. The dislike has mellowed over years, though, but the embers still burn.

I also leave Black Rain (1989) off the list for this thread because unlike all those films above, it's a generic action film. Not meant to be taken seriously. Still pisses me off, though.

*The quote and the book title, re: Angel's Egg:
    From Hermann Hesse's coming-of-age novel, Demian, one of most influential novels in Japan, the oft-quoted line (am relying on memory here):
    "The young bird struggles to break free of its egg. It knows. The egg is the world. Those who wish to be born, destroy the world. Only then, the bird flies to God. And that God is Abraxas, the God of all gods; the supreme being."
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    Hated, hated, hated, Into The Wild.

It was a present and I, shamefully, told the person who got me it that it was brilliant (its their favourite film of all time) when they asked me what I thought of it.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not particularly a fan of the American Pie films. I did not even find them funny.