Adele to play Dusty Springfield in an upcoming biopic?

flyonthetableflyonthetable Posts: 170
Forum Member
Oscar-winning singer Adele is in the early stages of discussions about playing Dusty Springfield on the big screen.

‘There’s a project — and it’s true Adele is attached — but it’s in an early stage of development,’ a studio executive with knowledge of the negotiations told me yesterday.

Screenwriter David Stenn, who writes for the HBO drama series Boardwalk Empire, is about to be signed to a contract to write a script. It would explore Dusty’s experiences as she went through a period of re-invention in 1968 when she moved to Memphis to work with producers at Atlantic records.

The resulting album, Dusty In Memphis, became a template against which many other vocalists have measured themselves. Its standout track, Son of A Preacher Man, was released as a single and went on to become one of her signature songs.

Adele cited it as one of her favourite numbers — although she didn’t study Dusty until after her first LP, 19, came out.

The Dusty movie is one of several that have been in the pipeline for years. Nicole Kidman has long been keen to portray the singer, and a few months ago I wrote about a stage musical of Dusty’s life involving Sandi Toksvig as writer and Vicki Wickham and David Ian as producers.

Those involved tell me that if the script is accepted by a studio, London-based Working Title could be among those competing for Stenn’s services. A director has to be found, and Adele has to approve the screenplay and be ready to commit to carrying a major movie.

If it’s green lights all the way, then shooting could start late next year or sometime in 2015.

The London-based spokesman for Adele did not deny my story but simply offered a ‘no comment on this’ when approached.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2434284/Is-Adele-wishin-hopin-star-Dusty-Springfield.html

Intersting, usually "no comment" from any spokesman means "yes".

Comments

• Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    Jesus effing Christ, no!
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    The thought of Adele doing serious acting does make me chuckle :D

But no. This should not and will not happen.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a big fan of Jimmy Hendrix, and even though I am not black, never acted in a film, didnt even bother doing GCSE drama, I think I would be perfect for a major production movie.

The qualifications for acting these days appears to be as long as you are famous, even if it has nothing to do with acting. Although to be fair, Adele acts like she has talent so I guess she has that in her back pocket.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like how they mention she won an Oscar but don't mention that it wasn't actually for acting. Not trying to be shady, I just don't see the relevance of that Oscar in terms of her unknown acting ability.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    I am a big fan of Jimmy Hendrix, and even though I am not black, never acted in a film, didnt even bother doing GCSE drama, I think I would be perfect for a major production movie.

:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    I think that an actual actress should play Dusty Springfield. Adele can do the soundtrack if she wants.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused:

My point being, just because at one point Adele said she was inspired by Dusty, all of a sudden that makes her perfect for playing that role in a film about Dusty. Even though Adele is not an actor, and as far as I know has never acted in anything worth while.

Like compare Adele to Nicole Kidmen (mentioned in the OP), Nicole is an established acting talent, Adele is a not. But the chances of it going to Adele are pretty high, because they can do the whole big "Susan Boyle recreation moment" in the film and they think having a chubby karaoke singer is a much better choice than an actual actor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    My point being, just because at one point Adele said she was inspired by Dusty, all of a sudden that makes her perfect for playing that role in a film about Dusty. Even though Adele is not an actor, and as far as I know has never acted in anything worth while.

Like compare Adele to Nicole Kidmen (mentioned in the OP), Nicole is an established acting talent, Adele is a not. But the chances of it going to Adele are pretty high, because they can do the whole big "Susan Boyle recreation moment" in the film and they think having a chubby karaoke singer is a much better choice than an actual actor.

I'm with you now.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats the point?

Adele looks nothing like Dusty physically.

Adele's voice sounds nothing like Dusty's.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    The thought of Adele doing serious acting does make me chuckle :D

But no.This should not and will not happen.
    Big, big mistake if it does
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    I like how they mention she won an Oscar but don't mention that it wasn't actually for acting. Not trying to be shady, I just don't see the relevance of that Oscar in terms of her unknown acting ability.

but it does though...
    Oscar-winning singer Adele

wow, a lot of assumptions and hysterics here based on a story propped up by sources from the daily mail.:p assuming there is any substance to this story, how do we know she cant act? adele graduated from the brit school of performing arts, its not beyond the realms of possibility that she could have learnt some acting there. where in the article does it state that adele may record vocals in the style of dusty? its possible they wont use her singing voice at all.:D

as for the size issue that has been addressed as subtly as a brick through a window in here, who's to say she wont get into shape for the role? just because she hasn't conformed to stereotype and lost weight to make it as a successful singer, that doesn't mean she wont lose weight for an acting role and actors physically prepare themselves for roles all the time. that is of course assuming there is any truth to this rumour, but if it is stunt casting like people have suggested here, then she has a lot of work to do to avoid making a complete fool of herself.:eek:
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    Mallaha wrote: »
    I think that an actual actress should play Dusty Springfield. Adele can do the soundtrack if she wants.

Surely if they need an actress to do the acting, they should get a singer to do the singing?
  • flyonthetableflyonthetable Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    mr muggles wrote: »
    Whats the point?

Adele looks nothing like Dusty physically.

Adele's voice sounds nothing like Dusty's.

You really think that? :confused:
    http://abcnewsradioonline.com/storage/music-news-images/Getty_092713_AdeleDustySpringfield.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1380322022548 Adele looks a lot like Dusty.
    And this role would be a perfect excuse for Adele to lose 3 stones.

Also, I can't imagine any other young British artist whose voice is more alike Dusty's than Adele's.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt Adele would do the singing, as most films use the real singer's recordings. The only time I know of where the actor/actress did their own singing was when Diana Ross did the Billie holiday film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt Adele would do the singing, as most films use the real singer's recordings. The only time I know of where the actor/actress did their own singing was when Diana Ross did the Billie holiday film.

I know it wasn't a biopic exactly, but didn't they use Beyonce's own vocals in Cadillac Records? She sings five Etta James songs on the soundtrack.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it wasn't a biopic exactly, but didn't they use Beyonce's own vocals in Cadillac Records? She sings five Etta James songs on the soundtrack.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Yeah, Bey did her own for that.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't know Dusty was an overweight coarse Ginger
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele is not the right singer to portray Dusty.
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am thinking that someone like Joss Stone is more suitable.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baz O wrote: »
    I am thinking that someone like Joss Stone is more suitable.

Just when I though it couldn't get any worse...
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    won't happen.

like most Adele stories there's no substance. The DM needs to accept they have nothing to report on Adele
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    but it does though...

A lot of singers go into acting and win Oscars for acting. I just don't really see the point of mentioning it. They are trying to make out that she's going to be amazing because she has won an Oscar, even though it wasn't for acting.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really think that? :confused:
    http://abcnewsradioonline.com/storage/music-news-images/Getty_092713_AdeleDustySpringfield.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1380322022548Also, I can't imagine any other young British artist whose voice is more alike Dusty's than Adele's.

Beth Rowley! I think she sounds so much like Dusty. No idea if she can act though!
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    A lot of singers go into acting and win Oscars for acting. I just don't really see the point of mentioning it. They are trying to make out that she's going to be amazing because she has won an Oscar, even though it wasn't for acting.

and then they're subsequently promoted as oscar winning actress or actor on film related media. while i am personally no fan of the daily mail and often question their integrity as a publication, in fact, i did so in that very post. however, i do think the oscar mention was somewhat relevant to the article and it wasn't particularly worded misleadingly in my honest opinion.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather it be an unknown actress if it does happen.