Cat in season but local Toms are chopped!

NorthcroftNorthcroft Posts: 450
Forum Member
Hi all

The cat annabelle is now a year old, she's not been spayed as we want some kitty cats from here
Anyway, she sleeps in the kitchen at night as we have an Alsatian which barks at the sight of her and any cat so don't want complaints etc

So last night annabelle didn't really want to come in, I put it down to it being very mild out, as she usually bursts through the door when I get her in at 10pm
I got her in and she was meowing a bit and scratching the door, she settled so i went to bed and let her out at 8am this morning

No work today so I stock outside as it was warm and she was rolling on her back so I figured she was in season as I've had female cats before, and she was doing little meows

She usually has a mate round we call Sooty, a large black Tom who's been done, and they play together all day til he's called in at 5pm

Today though she was mewling a little and presenting her rear end in the air, and she was surrounded by 2 black and white cats and another big tabby
All Toms but all have been done

We live in a tiny little hamlet, only 12 houses and these are the cats, no Toms who would get annabelle pregnant

Then I was reading today it's not good for a female to be in and out of season for a while, which unless someone gets a Tom..

Anyway, what do you think?
Will she be ok? Or should we think about getting her spayed?

Comments

• StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get her spayed. There are enough kittens in rescues at the moment. And Cats with FIV - a major risk with ill-planned random matings.

I'm just glad you have sensible & responsible neighbours in your hamlet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Get her yes it's irresponsible ownership not to. Besides there is ow way to ensure a intact Tom doesnt visit.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there are no entire toms about, then its probably best for her to be spayed.
    If you really do want some kittens (and you are certain you can home half a dozen kitties!) I guess she'll have to go visit a tom or you'll need to get one in.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get her spayed.

If you want some more kittens, go rescue some from the shelters.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    toms`ll go a good distance for a queen on heat.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Get her spayed.

If you want some more kittens, go rescue some from the shelters.

Totally agree. There are thousands of kittens in rescue at the moment, no need to be added to the escalating number.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Way too many kittens needing homes so unless you are 100% sure you have homes for any she has get her spayed asap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from the surplus kitten issue
    1. Queens in season can be a pain in the butt not just for you but for neighbours, with their calling.
    2. It isn't good for their health to be in and out of season repeatedly without having a good seeing to.
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toms will go miles to get to a cat in heat but why risk the health of your cat, there are hundreds of unwanted cats and kittens in rescue centres every where, not getting your cat spayed seems a little irresponsible to me.

Female cats that are not spayed are at risk for a number of serious medical problems. Mammary cancer is the third most common cancer in cats and is much more common in cats that have not been spayed. Spaying greatly reduces the risk, and spaying before the first heat reduces it more. Cancer of the ovaries and uterus are not common in cats, but they do occur, and spaying removes any possibility of these tumors.

Pyometra is a severe infection of the uterus that, if untreated, is almost always fatal. Bacteria enters the uterus and it becomes filled with pus as the cat’s body tries to fight the infection. Treatment of pyometra requires a difficult and expensive oviohysterectomy (spay). Toxins resulting from the infection can damage the kidneys and heart, cause lifelong problems, and can be fatal.

It is not uncommon for un-spayed cats to suffer from ovarian cysts and uterine infections due to constantly fluctuating hormone levels.

not trying to scare you, just pointing out a few things that could happen to your cat....
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Northcroft wrote: »

she's not been spayed as we want some kitty cats from here

Why??? Get your cat spayed!
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    If there are no entire toms about, then its probably best for her to be spayed.
    If you really do want some kittens (and you are certain you can home half a dozen kitties!) I guess she'll have to go visit a tom or you'll need to get one in.

Which I would have thought was the right way to do it rather than just 'hope' that a random Tom about which the OP has no health history from will come and do the deed whilst she's in season!

Sorry if that is not what you were meaning OP, but it is how it comes across, in which case, it doesn't sound an awfully responsible way of planning a litter. As others have said, there are plenty of kittens wanting homes already without producing more....
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Way too many judgemental folk on here.

Don't worry, it might happen some day. My girl's generally an indoor cat and has just fallen pregnant at four years old, it was a nice surprise since the vet told us once she probably couldn't get pregnant (though we weren't planning it anyway). I've seen her mate, a gorgeous black shorthair, think he's just a baby himself. She's due in around four weeks, and the kittens will mainly be going to family members, with me keeping one. I'll get her spayed afterwards, if only to prevent daddy making her a baby machine now he's on the scene.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Way too many judgemental folk on here.

Don't worry, it might happen some day. My girl's generally an indoor cat and has just fallen pregnant at four years old, it was a nice surprise since the vet told us once she probably couldn't get pregnant (though we weren't planning it anyway). I've seen her mate, a gorgeous black shorthair, think he's just a baby himself. She's due in around four weeks, and the kittens will mainly be going to family members, with me keeping one. I'll get her spayed afterwards, if only to prevent daddy making her a baby machine now he's on the scene.

Are you aware of any health issues the Tom might have?!
    If you and your family members want a cat, why on earth couldn't you all rescue one?

You may call me judgemental, but I find yours and the OPs irresponsibility incredibly selfindulgent
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I am fed up of reading about the animal cruelty on here lately.

Cats are not toys nor are they breeding machines for selfish whims.

We have too many unwanted kittens in rescue homes. We don't want any more feline lives ruined due to human stupidity.

Please don't let your un neutered pets out and get them fixed as quickly as possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am fed up of reading about the animal cruelty on here lately.

Cats are not toys nor are they breeding machines for selfish whims.

We have too many unwanted kittens in rescue homes. We don't want any more feline lives ruined due to human stupidity.

Please don't let your un neutered pets out and get them fixed as quickly as possible.

Hear hear! Amen etc. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hardly think letting a mature queen have a litter is cruelty.
    Yes there are too many kittens in shelters but isn't that rather like saying to a couple they shouldn't have kids of their own whilst there are so many orphans in the world?

Some people would simply prefer a cat where they know its history and how it was brought up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hardly think letting a mature queen have a litter is cruelty.
    Yes there are too many kittens in shelters but isn't that rather like saying to a couple they shouldn't have kids of their own whilst there are so many orphans in the world?

Some people would simply prefer a cat where they know its history and how it was brought up.

Letting it out to find a random local Tom is hardly 'knowing its history', is it?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    Letting it out to find a random local Tom is hardly 'knowing its history', is it?!

I meant the kitten's history - what foods its eaten, how many siblings, environment, other pets, children in family. Queens mating with random Toms is how cats have bred since, well, there were first cats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant the kitten's history - what foods its eaten, how many siblings, environment, other pets, children in family. Queens mating with random Toms is how cats have bred since, well, there were first cats.

And we all used to live in caves too...

It's not just the kittens history that's important - let's face it, how much 'history' is there to be had when rescuing an 8 week old kitten from a rescue centre?

There are way too many unwanted cats & kittens in rescue homes - mainly because there are way too many irresponsible owners not neutering their cats. To wilfully add to the population for self serving reasons is just appalling and it's disappointing to know there are still adults out there happily adding to the problem.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What orangebird said...