Still Game to return

brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
Forum Member
✭✭

Comments

• bramley29bramley29 Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I'm Scottish, worked in Glasgow and enjoy Glasgow humour. I found Still Game crude, gross, crass and coarse to the point of being sordid. But mainly I thought it was desperately unfunny. I have to admit I only tried two episodes and then gave up on it.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    brilliant show, hopefully a tv return in the future.

there was a couple of storylines that needed to be wrapped up
  • rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a new TV series is a long way off, but at least they are talking! I've got all the series on DVD and have watched them over and over, such a great laugh :D:D:D
  • Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Ford Kiernan, Greg Hemphill and Paul Riley had all fallen out (about money or something) and hated each other?
  • Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bramley29 wrote: »
    I'm Scottish, worked in Glasgow and enjoy Glasgow humour. I found Still Game crude, gross, crass and coarse to the point of being sordid. But mainly I thought it was desperately unfunny. I have to admit I only tried two episodes and then gave up on it.

I thought the same and wanted to give up after two episodes but Mr Monk said to continue. We did and it got better and is probably one of my favourite sit coms now. Once the characters were developed it was very funny. The episode where they went to the distillery still makes me smile.
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ron_J wrote: »
    I thought Ford Kiernan, Greg Hemphill and Paul Riley had all fallen out (about money or something) and hated each other?
    Think money (or the lack of it) may actually be the driving force behind the proposed comeback. Apart from seeing Ford Kiernan in a couple of episodes of newspaper-based drama set in the 1980s, I don't recall spotting too many of the other cast members on the box.

I'm not knocking it, however, far from it - I'm the proud owner of a Still Game boxset!!
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame the BBC only put Still Game on a late night slot on BBC2.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, in the above article, they have offered an 'official' explanation for why things went wrong and I think it is quite believable. They should only do it if they enjoy it and it looks like that had stopped. I hope they feel refreshed and come up with some great ideas because Still Game was hilarious and I've missed it. Even if it's a stage show for the meantime, it's a start. Let them 'test the waters'.
  • AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another announcement. They will be doing a 4 night run at the new Hydro and possibly more TV shows:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24622879

They are also on the radio on Janice Forsyth's Culture Studio this afternoon.
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw them this afternoon on Reporting Scotland. I must say, they haven't aged in 10 years. If anything they look much younger:D
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trudi Monk wrote: »
    I thought the same and wanted to give up after two episodes but Mr Monk said to continue. We did and it got better and is probably one of my favourite sit coms now. Once the characters were developed it was very funny. The episode where they went to the distillery still makes me smile.

CLAAAAAAAAARK GAAAAAAAABLE!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Think money (or the lack of it) may actually be the driving force behind the proposed comeback. Apart from seeing Ford Kiernan in a couple of episodes of newspaper-based drama set in the 1980s, I don't recall spotting too many of the other cast members on the box.

I'm not knocking it, however, far from it - I'm the proud owner of a Still Game boxset!!

I saw Sanjeev Kohli aka Navid in the recent one-off episode of the IT Crowd
  • owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same her I live and work near Glasgow so should probably appreciate the humour. I find the programme more amusing than funny. You get the occasional laugh. It was OK as part of a sketch show ( Chewin the Fat) but to stretch it out as 25/30 minute episodes, with maybe 6 episodes per series the laughs are few and far between

I am no prude but find they swear too uch to try and get a cheap laugh, not necessary

They are playing the Hydro in Glasgow however tickets are
    £45, :eek:now that is having a laugh
    Forum Member
    owl61uk wrote: »
    Same her I live and work near Glasgow so should probably appreciate the humour. I find the programme more amusing than funny. You get the occasional laugh. It was OK as part of a sketch show ( Chewin the Fat) but to stretch it out as 25/30 minute episodes, with maybe 6 episodes per series the laughs are few and far between

I am no prude but find they swear too uch to try and get a cheap laugh, not necessary

They are playing the Hydro in Glasgow however tickets are
    £45, :eek:now that is having a laugh

tickets are between £30-45, same as pretty much everybody else is charging at the Hydro.
  • Stuart1000Stuart1000 Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ticket sales are through the roof for this. Already had to add an extra 2 shows due to demand from presales alone.

I can see anything upwards of 15 shows being added in the end.
    Forum Member
    Stuart1000 wrote: »
    Ticket sales are through the roof for this. Already had to add an extra 2 shows due to demand from presales alone.

I can see anything upwards of 15 shows being added in the end.

the presale was pretty pointless as everybody could sign up for it

if i go on just now its telling me i am 8900 in the queue
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was consistently funny from the very start until the premature end. Rab C and Still Game are the two funniest Scottish comedies ever made for me.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Glasgow humour is crude, gross, crass and coarse. That's what makes it funny. Where did you work?
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know a girl who has two front row tickets for the show next year. I'm tempted myself!
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Still Game but this just reeks of cashing in.
    One big money making exercise.
    Play biggest venue in town umpteen times then add the Xmas DVD sales.

Sad it's come to this.
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish they'd do another series of Chewin' the Fat. Without a doubt the funniest sketch show ever made.
  • Stuart1000Stuart1000 Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's clear how this is going to pan out though. Live shows at The Hydro Sept/Oct 2014, Christmas and Hogmanay specials in 2014 and a new series in 2015. A short UK tour wouldn't surprise me following The Hydro dates either.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for the dvd of the show.

I would've went to The Hydro to see it, but i was there the other week to see Danny Elfman, and the seats were like planks of wood, and all i could think about was my sore arse.

Very happy to see the boys back. I can't believe there are folk that find it "crass" and "sordid" (really? sordid? was the ep you saw the one with Isa's vibrator?) as i think it was all (mostly) pretty innocent. But mind you, the original stage show WAS quite sweary...and awesome. :cool:
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tangsman wrote: »
    I like Still Game but this just reeks of cashing in.
    One big money making exercise.
    Play biggest venue in town umpteen times then add the Xmas DVD sales.

Sad it's come to this.

Should they just perform for free then??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member

Agreed, Chewing the Fat was funnier