Options

Email i did not send

wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,971
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have an o2 email address, which i've had for several years.
Over past week my email inbox is filled with returned emails that i did not send.
Last night 8 delivery messages returned at 1am while i was asleep.
I have checked computer security and did a full scan and everything is ok.
Any way i can stop these emails.
Should i set up a new o2 account and email address.
Thankyou

Comments

• Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your mail is haunted and a ghost is sending emails to imaginary addresses while you sleep.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wacky joe wrote: »
    Over past week my email inbox is filled with returned emails that i did not send.
    Thankyou

Did they come up as Mailer Demon? If they did just change your email password.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    virgin sent me a letter to say they thought one of my (unused) email accounts was being used to send spam emails.

I would change your password for a start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Your mail is haunted and a ghost is sending emails to imaginary addresses while you sleep.

Always 1 dxxkhead
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankyou
    If there is a web based method to access your e-mail account it is more likely that this has been compromised rather than anything on your PC. But never a bad idea to scan with your AV software and programs like Malwarebytes just to be on the safe side.

Changing the password on your account is a sensible step. The problem with shutting down the account altogether is the hassle of informing everyone who needs to know of the change of address. However if it is a "disposable" address you only use for online business and never for anything really important then closing it may not be such a hassle.

There is also the possibility that your account has not been compromised at all. It is relatively simple to spoof the Sender address in an e-mail to disguise it's true origin. So all that is needed is your e-mail address to be visible somewhere and it can be used. Or an account belonging to someone you have sent an e-mail to has been compromised and your address "harvested" from that.

Unfortunately there is no way you can prevent that address from being used. All you can really do is close the associated account so that any future bounce backs end up somewhere other than your in-box. But nothing you can do will stop that address being used. Unless you know who actually sent the messages and employ some large gentlemen with baseball bats to educate said miscreant in the error of his ways :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Did they come up as Mailer Demon? If they did just change your email password.

This is the message i get
    Mail delivery service
    Delivery status notification
    These recipients of ur message have been processed by the mail server
    Bad destination mailbox address
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could well be fake delivery failure messages with a link in there enticing you to click to find out what the message were about.
  • Options
    tosha43tosha43 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Always 1 dxxkhead

Think there is more than one on here. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the message i get
    Mail delivery service
    Delivery status notification
    These recipients of ur message have been processed by the mail server
    Bad destination mailbox address
    Did it really use "ur" and not "your"?

That would start the alarm bells ringing in my head straight away if it did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have reset password.
    Will check back in 24 hrs.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bogus emails are often the result of a virus that scans your address book and sends mail that seems to come from you. The recipient opens the 'safe' email, clicks a link (eg to a funny clip etc) and gets the virus. Thus the malware spreads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have reset password.
    Thanks
    Just be aware that that will not prevent anyone spoofing your e-mail address as the sender. All it does is (hopefully) prevent anyone gaining access to your account.

So you could still get e-mails returning to that address that you never sent initially.

Just out of interest did any of these returned e-mails actually contain the content of whatever the original message "you" sent was in the body of the message? Or did they have an attachment that supposedly contained the original message?

It does occur to me that these could simply be spurious messages purporting to be returned e-mails with the sole intention of getting you to click on the attachment to see the who, what and wherefores of the original message but actually it installs some nasty instead. In other words, there never was an original to be returned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was attachments but i never opened them,also some reciepents names.
    If all else failes i we cloae account and open a hotmail email.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was attachments but i never opened them,also some reciepents names.
    If all else failes i we cloae account and open a hotmail email.
    It won't make the problem go away.

You could get exactly the same issue with any other account you open. The only cure is to close all your e-mail accounts. Never ever open a new one. Cancel your broadband service. Wipe your computer and sell it (or preferably smash it into 10,000,000,000 pieces).

Then only ever communicate with people using old fashioned paper and ink and those little pictures of the Queen you stick in the corner of those things called envelopes :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »

You could get exactly the same issue with any other account you open. The only cure is to close all your e-mail accounts. Never ever open a new one. Cancel your broadband service. Wipe your computer and sell it (or preferably smash it into 10,000,000,000 pieces).

Then only ever communicate with people using old fashioned paper and ink and those little pictures of the Queen you stick in the corner of those things called envelopes :D

Ok mate, gotta start work now gas street light need alightn
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very easy to fake return addresses. It's a little known fact but all those fields in the email header..are mostly ignored. Some mail servers might choose to glance at them as a sanity check but it's not a requirement.

The to/from addresses are handled by the commands MAIL FROM and RCPT TO. Whether or not the headers echo those commands is irrelevant. You can send an email to someone that is apparently addressed to someone else and comes from an address that knows nothing about it.

http://www.earthinfo.org/example-smtp-conversation/
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »

I got called a dixxhead for making a humourous post on here.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    this is called back scatter.

it's worth changing your password but it probably wont help. the mail is probably not being sent by you. rather your email address is being spoofed.

it could be someone who has your email address on their phone or computer has something and your address is being used to spam their contact list under the assumption that they might know you. or your address was harvested from a long forward list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have reset password.
    Thanks

So far no more bogus emails.
    Hopefully changing password has helped.
    Thanks everyone