Onkyo TX-SR607 Standby LED flashing (Protect Mode)

steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a Onkyo TX-SR607 AV receiver I have owned for around 3 to 3.5 years without any problems. However, last night when I was watching TV, at a fairly low volume, there was a loud 'pop' and next thing I noticed there was no sound and the TV was getting no signal. I looked at the receiver and noticed the standby led flashing. I checked the top of the receiver and it was quite warm to the touch but not boiling hot or anything. No smell of burning or anything else unusual.

I switched it off at the mains and left it overnight. Put it back on again today and it came back to normal standby, switched it on and 'touch wood' it is working normally but I am obviously very wary of it happening again. Could it just be a 'one off' or is it likely to signal something in the receiver is going?

I tested all the speakers and they all still seem to be working so I don't think anything has blown yet at least.

I have read up on the light flashing and it seems it can be caused by:
1. a short in the speaker wiring, possible I guess but I haven't changed any connections so strange it would just happen out of the blue.

2. The amp being driven too hard, no way, I was listening at a very modest level and never have it louder than needed for comfortable listening.

3. Overheating, possible I guess but like I said it was warm rather than boiling hot, though, of course, I don't know how hot it is inside.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    If it is working now it is probably nothing to worry about. I had something similar some time back, there was a loud transient crack through the speakers and they all went off! I only have a low end cheap Sony AV amp. I turned the Sony off and then back on and everything came back on, but when I rewound my Sky+ box the loud crack was on the transmission!! And when I played it again it tripped the amp out again! But it's never done it since.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KKoala wrote: »
    If it is working now it is probably nothing to worry about. I had something similar some time back, there was a loud transient crack through the speakers and they all went off! I only have a low end cheap Sony AV amp. I turned the Sony off and then back on and everything came back on, but when I rewound my Sky+ box the loud crack was on the transmission!! And when I played it again it tripped the amp out again! But it's never done it since.

Touch wood all has been fine since so hopefully your right. My situation was actually very similar in that I was watching a recording on my Tivo, so I guess there could have been a glitch in the transmission or one introduced in the recording.
  • artyclartyartyclarty Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I have an onkyo amp that is a few years old too (and a sony one a few years older than that). This occasionally happens on them both if even a strand of copper gets loose and crosses the circuit. Since you have checked all the speakers are working, I assume you have also rewired them, which solved the problem I had.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artyclarty wrote: »
    I have an onkyo amp that is a few years old too (and a sony one a few years older than that). This occasionally happens on them both if even a strand of copper gets loose and crosses the circuit. Since you have checked all the speakers are working, I assume you have also rewired them, which solved the problem I had.

I'm afraid you assume I am more diligent than I actually am ;-) By checking the speakers, I just meant I went into the receiver's menu and had it send the test noise to each one. I haven't touched the back of it since I first installed it 3+ years ago, my take is that if it isn't broke don't fix it. It's not just laziness mind, the TV stand (which houses the receiver and other kit) is pretty much directly against the wall making the back of the receiver practically inaccessible. The only way I'd get at it is to pull the TV stand away from the wall and to do that I'd need to take almost everything off it to get the weight down to a level I can lift/move so I'd really rather not do that unless I'm virtually certain there is a problem with the connections.

Besides if a strand was touching the other cable wouldn't the problem just happen again as soon as I put the receiver back on? and (touch wood) it hasn't.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    steven123 wrote: »
    I'm afraid you assume I am more diligent than I actually am ;-) By checking the speakers, I just meant I went into the receiver's menu and had it send the test noise to each one. I haven't touched the back of it since I first installed it 3+ years ago, my take is that if it isn't broke don't fix it. It's not just laziness mind, the TV stand (which houses the receiver and other kit) is pretty much directly against the wall making the back of the receiver practically inaccessible. The only way I'd get at it is to pull the TV stand away from the wall and to do that I'd need to take almost everything off it to get the weight down to a level I can lift/move so I'd really rather not do that unless I'm virtually certain there is a problem with the connections.

Besides if a strand was touching the other cable wouldn't the problem just happen again as soon as I put the receiver back on? and (touch wood) it hasn't.

Cables are also connected to the speakers themselves, a receiver will still shut down if it detects a short here, not just the receiver end.

Could be a stray strand which has touched when dusting/cleaning or moving the speakers, it could have easily been dislodged and made to touch, just as easily as moving the strand so its not touching, worth checking all the same.

This is why I use banana plugs, apart from ease of use, they are much safer, especially if connecting in tight spaces.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Cables are also connected to the speakers themselves, a receiver will still shut down if it detects a short here, not just the receiver end.

Could be a stray strand which has touched when dusting/cleaning or moving the speakers, it could have easily been dislodged and made to touch, just as easily as moving the strand so its not touching, worth checking all the same.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I think the design of the connections on the receiver and speakers makes this quite unlikely as it doesn't use the cheap and nasty old style spring terminals on which I could see this happening. Instead the receiver has kind of cylindrical screws with holes where you insert the bare wire into then tighten, as such there isn't any bare wire actually showing as it is all inside the cylinder screw. I think the only thing that does use the old style spring terminals is the AM radio aerial but I would hope that couldn't short out the whole receiver, if it could I'd be tempted to disconnect it altogether as I only rarely listen to the tuner and if I do it's always FM as AM sounds awful.

The speakers have a similar arrangement where all the bare wire is inserted into a hole and a screw above tightens this so unless it has somehow loosened of its own accord I can't see how this would happen, not saying impossible but....
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I think the design of the connections on the receiver and speakers makes this quite unlikely as it doesn't use the cheap and nasty old style spring terminals on which I could see this happening. Instead the receiver has kind of cylindrical screws with holes where you insert the bare wire into then tighten, as such there isn't any bare wire actually showing as it is all inside the cylinder screw. I think the only thing that does use the old style spring terminals is the AM radio aerial but I would hope that couldn't short out the whole receiver, if it could I'd be tempted to disconnect it altogether as I only rarely listen to the tuner and if I do it's always FM as AM sounds awful.

The speakers have a similar arrangement where all the bare wire is inserted into a hole and a screw above tightens this so unless it has somehow loosened of its own accord I can't see how this would happen, not saying impossible but....
    Even with screw terminals I have seen receivers trip out, from a stray stand to cables which have had far too much insulation stripped off wires have actually been touching.

Physically checking wire connections is the first port of call when amps/receivers trip out as shorting out is one of the most common problems.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You assume too much. :)

I have seen more than one instance where supposedly secure cables have worked loose. I have even seen the insulation pull back exposing more copper than originally intended. And if you screw the terminals down too tightly the copper strands can fracture.

Checking for stray strands of copper shorting the terminals is always the first thing I check for if an amplifier trips out. Even if I know the cables were securely and neatly inserted into the terminals originally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you make sound points I cannot disagree with. If it does happen again I will check the connections on the receiver and speakers for sure, though touch wood the issue hasn't happened since so i am still hoping it might have been some kind of audio glitch on the program.

Since the receiver is hard to get access to I could well end up upsetting the connections just getting access to it, which would be a shame if there is nothing wrong with them in the first place so i will wait and see if it happens again before taking any action.