Options

Game Of Thrones Season 4 [US Sun/UK Mon] [NO SPOILERS]

Comments

• Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    I didn't really get why it has taken as long as it has for the pardon signed by Robert to reach him - does any know how long in story time has it been since the pardon was issued? And having traveled all that way, why would such an important document just be handed off by some kid to, as it turned out, the wrong recipient?

I think it was a setup by Tywin (remember him asking Mace Tyrell to fetch him a quill and paper when they were discussing it at the small council meeting), but Jorah couldn't really argue with it because it was actually true as well.

And yeah at least something different has happened with Daenerys's story. I don't think I'll ever really like her - self righteous, an overblown army and with the in-world equivalent of nuclear weapons, it'd be like cheering for America - but if they must give her so much screen time they could at least make it a bit less boring.
  • Options
    Hampton WickHampton Wick Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Although no character is safe, I struggle to believe Tyrion will be executed next week - he is the heart of the show and probably the one character they really can't afford to kill off.

That would be the case if it were a show that originated on TV, there would be tremendous pressure to keep fan favourites alive.

But if a major character was killed in the books, then I doubt that they could go a different way on the show so it's really out of the TV producers hands who lives and who dies. And GRRM doesn't strike me as the sort to give a flying fig about fan popularity of characters when it comes to killing them off in his writings, which is why the show is so unpredictable and thrilling.
  • Options
    JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    You do realise that telling people that a character is going to die is a spoiler in itself right? >:(

Seconded. Exactly the kind of thing that annoys me about this thread. If we want to know what's going to happen in the next episode, we can visit the book thread. I think whoever opens the Season 5 thread needs to put 'no spoilers' in the title. Not that that made much difference in past seasons.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Jayma wrote: »
    Seconded. Exactly the kind of thing that annoys me about this thread. If we want to know what's going to happen in the next episode, we can visit the book thread. I think whoever opens the Season 5 thread needs to put 'no spoilers' in the title. Not that that made much difference in past seasons.

I don't know what's wrong with people! Its not difficult. Speculation is fine, but writing about things that are definitely going to happen or even hinting about them in anyway is absolutely not.

I enjoy discussing game of thrones and reading this thread, but i have already had a couple of major moments spoiled for me thanks to it.

So (in the style of Macolm Tucker); If you can ****ing post without posting ****ing spoilers then **** the **** off!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    You do realise that telling people that a character is going to die is a spoiler in itself right? >:(

I hate to spoil things further then, but everyone dies eventually. You, me, the garbage men who annoy you in the morning, and yes those delightful Game Of Thrones characters will all die too. At least they didn't go into specifics about who dies. Let's face it, has there been a single episode in GOT where someone DOESN'T croak it?! :D
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    I hate to spoil things further then, but everyone dies eventually. You, me, the garbage men who annoy you in the morning, and yes those delightful Game Of Thrones characters will all die too. At least they didn't go into specifics about who dies. Let's face it, has there been a single episode in GOT where someone DOESN'T croak it?! :D

What is dead may never die.
  • Options
    FooxFoox Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is we dont have to click on spoiler tags and we dont have to click you tube links of you dont want to see dont click it. Not rocket science is it? someone dies every week thats hardly a spoiler.

I dont agree with people just typing stuff without the spoilers /warnings on links because it does ruin it for those of us who dont want to know. Im so glad i never saw spoilers about the red wedding and Oberyn Martell so i can still scream at my tv.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Foox wrote: »
    Thing is we dont have to click on spoiler tags and we dont have to click you tube links of you dont want to see dont click it. Not rocket science is it? someone dies every week thats hardly a spoiler.

I dont agree with people just typing stuff without the spoilers /warnings on links because it does ruin it for those of us who dont want to know. Im so glad i never saw spoilers about the red wedding and Oberyn Martell so i can still scream at my tv.

If only everything where kept to spoiler tags and links, then all would be well.

Its certainly not the worst spoiler, but the fact that it's being mentioned in the preview suggests its not an insignificant character. As i say, not the worst spoiler, but still totally unnecessary to post it in the thread like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    What is dead may never die.

Tell that to Ned Stark! :D
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody else getting fed up with Tyrion?
    I think I am in a minority of one here.:blush:

He had a chance to go away and have a good life with Shae, he chose to stay to play the game, but then didn't really do anything to play it.
    Including the silly speech in the courtroom that came out of nowhere.

Loved him when he was stand in hand, loved him when he was the cynical observer making everybody else look stupid.
    But most of this series, came across as whiny IMO.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hendero wrote: »

I didn't really get why it has taken as long as it has for the pardon signed by Robert to reach him - does any know how long in story time has it been since the pardon was issued? And having traveled all that way, why would such an important document just be handed off by some kid to, as it turned out, the wrong recipient?

Jorah received the original pardon in the same episode that he saved Dany from the Wineseller assassin.

The one Barristan was given was a copy/fake that Tywin sent out a couple of episodes ago.

The Kid (who is one of Varys' spys) was told to give this copy to Barristan (he asked his name before giving it to him) that was the whole point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Anybody else getting fed up with Tyrion?
    I think I am in a minority of one here.:blush:

He had a chance to go away and have a good life with Shae, he chose to stay to play the game, but then didn't really do anything to play it.
    Including the silly speech in the courtroom that came out of nowhere.

Loved him when he was stand in hand, loved him when he was the cynical observer making everybody else look stupid.
    But most of this series, came across as whiny IMO.

Did he?? I must have missed that? I thought those related to Tywin didn't really get a chance to opt out of the game.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Allecto wrote: »
    Did he?? I must have missed that? I thought those related to Tywin didn't really get a chance to opt out of the game.

Shae had suggested they run away to Essos, out of the reach of Tywin. Tywin would probably have been happy to see the back of Tyrion, too. But Tyrion refused to go because he was starting to enjoy playing the game.

I think that was back in season 2, when Tyrion was Hand of the King.
  • Options
    JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Jorah received the original pardon in the same episode that he saved Dany from the Wineseller assassin.

The one Barristan was given was a copy/fake that Tywin sent out a couple of episodes ago.

The Kid (who is one of Varys' spys) was told to give this copy to Barristan (he asked his name before giving it to him) that was the whole point.

Jorah seems to be making a profession out of being an exile! So, if he has the Westeros pardon, can he actually go back there now? Although I doubt Tywin would be pleased to see him, considering he obviously decided to stay in Daenerys' services.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jayma wrote: »
    Jorah seems to be making a profession out of being an exile! So, if he has the Westeros pardon, can he actually go back there now? Although I doubt Tywin would be pleased to see him, considering he obviously decided to stay in Daenerys' services.

Maybe he will go to the wall, would make sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its actually kinda odd that Dany sends Jorah away because he used to work for Varys, but she's happy to keep Ser Barriston around even though he only joined her after being fired by Joffrey.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    Its actually kinda odd that Dany sends Jorah away because he used to work for Varys, but she's happy to keep Ser Barriston around even though he only joined her after being fired by Joffrey.

I think her issue is with the lack of honesty. He could have come clean with her as soon as his allegiance changed but instead he has been keeping it secret from her. If an advisor can't be trusted to tell her the truth then it does make it hard to accept their advice...
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »

Ser Friendzone was spying on her, wheras Ser Barriston was not, and was upfront about himself pretty much as soon as he took care of that scorpion like creature the weird girl tried to kill her with.

I'd say there's a pretty big difference!
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe he will go to the wall, would make sense.

Not many people willingly go to the wall. I think he might go to Braavos or something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jorah did save her from being poisoned, too and she even realises that he did so because he was aware they were going to try and kill her. Whilst he might have hidden his earlier allegiance, it did seem like even Dany worked out that he obviously switched sides to support her.

Ser Barriston, on the other hand, failed to save her father from a rebellion and then went on to serve the usurper. He only switched sides because Joffrey didn't want him around any more.

She's also willing to trust Daario, even though he's proven to be untrustworthy and fickle with his alliances.

I think she just sent away the only one of her councillors who is truly loyal to her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not many people willingly go to the wall. I think he might go to Braavos or something.

Wasn't it his father in command?

Would link the dragons and the whitewalkers, which has to come eventually surely? (shrugs)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Megan has only pointed out a theory that can be deduced from aspects of the tv series so far.

To those worried about being a spoiler it can be one of

a/ He is
    b/ He isn't
    c/ It hasn't been revealed either way yet.

It is one of those!

Though it looks like the admins have jumped the gun with it!

Well done, you've got it wrong again!
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Megan has only pointed out a theory that can be deduced from aspects of the tv series so far.

To those worried about being a spoiler it can be one of

a/ He is
    b/ He isn't
    c/ It hasn't been revealed either way yet.

It is one of those!

Though it looks like the admins have jumped the gun with it!

Well done, you've got it wrong again!
    That wasn't all that she posted though. She posted something very specific about the fate of certain characters.
    Just a really nasty thing to do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    That wasn't all that she posted though. She posted something very specific about the fate of certain characters.
    Just a really nasty thing to do.

If it is the Jon Snow one, then it is just a theory that can be deduced from the tv series so far. (I came up with that theory, after series 3 without reading the books).

If there where other comments then I stand corrected.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is the Jon Snow one, then it is just a theory that can be deduced from the tv series so far.

If there where other comments then I stand corrected.
    There were other comments other than the John Snow one. I think that's what most people who saw them (including myself >:() were annoyed about.