Options

Kindle or real book? (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    RubydollRubydoll Posts: 1,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to the proper book lovers and I still buy paperbacks ( and will still do so with a couple of authors) But my reading has increased 3 times as much now I have a Kindle and I have also read books that I wouldn't have done before as easier to store.
  • Options
    weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nasalhair wrote: »
    No... I have no problems reading from paper regardless of the text size, but if I read anything on screen, even when I've tried it on a Kindle in a shop, I find it harder to concentrate on the text, and my eyes become tired very quickly (and before someone makes a comment, my eyesight is perfect according to my optician during my eye test late last year, and I don't wear glasses at all, nor do I need them).

I imagine it's more a psychological reaction than a physical one where eink screens are concerned. It is after all black pigments on a background of white pigments very much like ink on paper so to the eye there should be no difference. Maybe not so with backlit technology but eink should be no harder to read than paper. Perhaps it's the fact you are reading from a device rather than a book which causes the issue.

There isn't even much evidence that backlit displays are an issue if the brightness is kept to low levels but there clearly is a difference there with reflected versus projected light so I'm on the fence with that one.
  • Options
    weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for the OP, I read and have read both for years, I don't see that stopping any time soon. They both have their place, I tend to like ebooks in place of cheap mass market paperbacks and save my paper reading for more quality volumes.

Whilst I agree with tactile pleasures of books, there really are some awful quality paperbacks too.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For convenience and comfort it has to be the kindle everytime. However the most important thing at the end of the day is the content. The content is still the same whether it be in ebook or physical book format.
  • Options
    ejakejak Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A real book. Why?

- The tactile thing: I like the feel of a book, the paper, the smell of it, even the "clonk" it makes when I put it down on a table.

- The social thing: I can pass it on to a friend when I've finished with it, or give it to a charity. I can also talk to people I see reading a book I love (ever tried working out what someone is reading by looking at the back of their Kindle?)

- The collecting thing: I can keep books I love on my shelves and look at them, flicking through the pages. I can also get them signed by the author.

- The holiday practicality thing: I can take paperbacks on holiday with me (yes, they weigh a fair bit as I take a dozen for a 14 day trip) and not worry about such things as if it will still work after it has had beer, sea water, pool water, sweat or suntan lotion spilt or splashed on it. There's no chance I'll get to the beach and find the paperback isn't working, or the battery is flat. I can leave a paperback on my sunbed when I go to the loo, or for a drink or some lunch, and not worry about it getting stolen, or overheating in the sun. I can also drop a paperback - even into the sea or the pool - and although soggy it will still "work." I also don't have to worry about if I've switched the wifi and / or 3G off when I'm on the plane.

- The ease of browsing: I've never found a book on Amazon by stumbling across it, whereas in a bookshop I often spot a cover that catches my eye, flick through it, and maybe buy it.

- The bookshops thing: If enough people move to ebooks this could see the end of bookshops as everyone will buy direct from e.g. Amazon. You may think it sad but I'd hate a world without bookshops.

Personally I've no problem with carrying a "real" book around. At the moment I'm reading a hardback which is 800+ pages long and I'm loving it. It's satisfying to sit and read a real book - more so than squinting at a tiny screen - and if like me you spend most of your day staring at a computer screen the last thing you'd want to do (or I'd want to do at least) is try to relax by looking at another.

I agree with all you said, however for me the kindle has come into its own. I now have arthritic hands and the weight of a heafty paper back kills me :( especially reading in bed. The kindle has suprisingly won me over just the ease of use alone would have done it, but I can now read as big a book as I like. I don't have to wait for it to come out on paperback now either.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Nwhen I've tried it on a Kindle in a shop, I find it harder to concentrate on the text, and my eyes become tired very quickly
    The harsh bright fluorescent lights of a shop are never easy on the eye for detail work like reading.
  • Options
    RolnikovRolnikov Posts: 967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »
    I heard on the radio today that e books are outselling real books in certain genres.

What do you prefer ? Is this the beginning of the end for bookshops ?

Personally I could never hold a gadget it my hand in place of a real book. I love the smell of new books and I love seeing the read part get thicker than the unread part.

Support your local bookshop and buy the real thing !

I think it's a sign of how quickly things have changed that saying "real books" already seems a bit old-fashioned. Ebooks are just as real as print books.

I don't think this is the beginning of the end for bookshops: the beginning of the end was when Amazon.co.uk originally launched. In the same way that independent booksellers couldn't compete with the range on offer at Waterstone's, Waterstone's couldn't compete with the range on offer on Amazon.
  • Options
    NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    The harsh bright fluorescent lights of a shop are never easy on the eye for detail work like reading.

I'd never try to read something in a shop!!!

I was responding to a question asking if I'd ever actually used a Kindle. My answer was that I had, in a shop. I then explained that whenever I try to read anything on a screen - be it any of my laptops or a desktop PC - if it is something more than a few lines long I much prefer to print it out and read it on paper. My only exposure to a Kindle display was when I saw one doing a demo cycle in a shop. I looked at it, read some of the text, and still found it hard to read compared to paper.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd never try to read something in a shop!!!

I was responding to a question asking if I'd ever actually used a Kindle. My answer was that I had, in a shop. I then explained that whenever I try to read anything on a screen - be it any of my laptops or a desktop PC - if it is something more than a few lines long I much prefer to print it out and read it on paper. My only exposure to a Kindle display was when I saw one doing a demo cycle in a shop. I looked at it, read some of the text, and still found it hard to read compared to paper.

Kindle screen is different from the usual backlit LCD screens, I can't stand them for longer reading either. You may find Kindle better if you can use it for a while in different environment. It feels pretty much like a page in a book.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like real books!
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I have always loved books, not just reading them but owning them. I love getting a new book, the feel of it, the smell of it, and I love what they look like on my bookshelves. Reading is only part of the experience of a book.

I think Kindle does sound convenient for certain situations, I may even get one, but I will NEVER stop buying and loving books.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Eileen* wrote: »
    I have always loved books, not just reading them but owning them. I love getting a new book, the feel of it, the smell of it, and I love what they look like on my bookshelves. Reading is only part of the experience of a book.

I think Kindle does sound convenient for certain situations, I may even get one, but I will NEVER stop buying and loving books.

That's how I feel too. The same goes for music CD's versus downloads.
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dunno. I do love "real" books, and always have. I got my Kindle for Christmas simply because I'm going travelling for a year and having a collection of books I love, as well as the ability to buy a book whenever I have 3G access, was just a no-brainer. Perfect for me. When I got it I was wary that I wouldn't take to it.

But since I've had it I haven't read a paper book. It just feels perfect, really. I love my Kindle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Real books all the way. Same with CDs. There just isn't the same feel of ownership with a download. One pffff and it's gone. More to the point, I couldn't possibly curl up comfortably in bed with a screen in the same way I can with a book. I've tried one and didn't like it at all.

As for supporting local bookshops, sorry, but that's a big no for me too. I can get them much cheaper online and delivered to my door without any of the hassle of shopping, so that's a no brainer.

I don't use libraries either. The thought of touching a tatty old book that someone has possibly read in their bathroom just gives me the boke. Never look at, let alone buy, second-hand books.
  • Options
    cdsmith15cdsmith15 Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Rolnikov wrote: »
    I think it's a sign of how quickly things have changed that saying "real books" already seems a bit old-fashioned. Ebooks are just as real as print books.

I don't think this is the beginning of the end for bookshops: the beginning of the end was when Amazon.co.uk originally launched. In the same way that independent booksellers couldn't compete with the range on offer at Waterstone's, Waterstone's couldn't compete with the range on offer on Amazon.

Waterstones have or had exclusive rights to sell the Sony ereader, so you could argue that Waterstones are putting themselves out of business?!
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    I don't have a Kindle but use Kindle and iBook apps on my various devices. At home I prefer a paper book. Whereas at work or away from home I use the apps. Love books shops. Make sure I always buy a few each year from a book shop (usually deals) to do my bit to help save them.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Kindles had been around for forty years my house would be a lot tidier. Real books are great until you run out of shelves.
  • Options
    JohnBoy WaltonJohnBoy Walton Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    - The social thing: I can pass it on to a friend when I've finished with it, or give it to a charity. I can also talk to people I see reading a book I love (ever tried working out what someone is reading by looking at the back of their Kindle?)

Oh God, I hate that. That for me is the best part of a kindle or iPad. So nosy bastards cannot see what I am reading. I don't know you, I don't want to know you. I do not want you commenting on the book I am reading or telling me how you read it and loved/hated it. Nobody cares. Speak to your friends/family about it and not me. You have none? Tough, not my problem.

Why am I so angry? Because for some reason this happens to me all the time! Even with headphones in, some tragic moron starts talking to me. I give them a one word answer and then put my headphone back in... Then they say something else. They have two chances before I tell them to leave me alone.

So so annoying. Maybe I look friendly, but I am not! I have friends, colleagues and a family and public transport is not my choice of meeting new people.

Sorry, rant over.
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    I have been very interested to read all your replies. Opinion seems to be very evenly divided.

My husband has suggested getting me a Kindle for both my birthday and Christmas, but I have asked him not to waste his money. I can see how others would love them, but I know it's not for me.

I love being in a bookshop, I love the touch and smell of real books, and I love arranging and looking at them on my shelves.

Many bookshops are closing in USA ..... I would hate to see the same thing happen here as one of the greatest pleasures in life would be gone.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh God, I hate that. That for me is the best part of a kindle or iPad. So nosy bastards cannot see what I am reading. I don't know you, I don't want to know you. I do not want you commenting on the book I am reading or telling me how you read it and loved/hated it. Nobody cares. Speak to your friends/family about it and not me. You have none? Tough, not my problem.

Why am I so angry? Because for some reason this happens to me all the time! Even with headphones in, some tragic moron starts talking to me. I give them a one word answer and then put my headphone back in... Then they say something else. They have two chances before I tell them to leave me alone.

So so annoying. Maybe I look friendly, but I am not! I have friends, colleagues and a family and public transport is not my choice of meeting new people.

Sorry, rant over.

Maybe you should wear a badge. Or stop leaving your house.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No... I have no problems reading from paper regardless of the text size, but if I read anything on screen, even when I've tried it on a Kindle in a shop, I find it harder to concentrate on the text, and my eyes become tired very quickly (and before someone makes a comment, my eyesight is perfect according to my optician during my eye test late last year, and I don't wear glasses at all, nor do I need them).

My vision is not perfect, even with contacts, and while I love books, lately I've been less inclined to sit down with one as holding a magnifying glass to read is a bit of a burden. I don't have a Kindle, but if I can adjust the font size, as I do on my computer screen, then in my mind, that is a definite plus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    My vision is not perfect, even with contacts, and while I love books, lately I've been less inclined to sit down with one as holding a magnifying glass to read is a bit of a burden. I don't have a Kindle, but if I can adjust the font size, as I do on my computer screen, then in my mind, that is a definite plus.

Yes, you can change font size on Kindle.

As for the real books. 78s are gone, LPs are mostly gone, CDs seem to be going. Books are doing much better considering they are around since ~15 century. I think they will stay around for a bit longer, but I think it's inevitable they will get replaced by other formats. I always liked to read, but since I have an ebook reader I read much more than ever before, because it's so much easier to always have several books with me.
  • Options
    OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both for me.

I was lucky enough in the last 2 months to be given a gift of a Sony reader and a Kindle and have been using both - but am still continuing to visit bookshops and buy "real books" as well
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    if you read to help you to get to sleep, doesn't the kindle throw too much backlight as an electronic device? I find if I use my mac before I go to bed it keeps me awake.

I used to work in a bookshop and they have changed in recent times. Some are more like coffee shops with a few books thrown in. I love books and I know the 2nd hand or rare book shops will struggle, but will survive. I prefer a 'real' book anyday to a download but I can anyone under 25 right now not necessarily agreeing.
    I'd only use a kindle for travelling or commuting, it's brilliant for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you read to help you to get to sleep, doesn't the kindle throw too much backlight as an electronic device? I find if I use my mac before I go to bed it keeps me awake.

There's no backlight with Kindle at all, you need an external light just like with a real book.