The Chase. charity edition

David1964David1964 Posts: 1,226
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is Big Mark going to throw it for charity?

Comments

• anthpiefaceanthpieface Posts: 956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David1964 wrote: »
    Is Big Mark going to throw it for charity?

yep he did ;)
  • Raven123Raven123 Posts: 3,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obvious fix.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know its for charity, but what is the point of watching the show when it is SO obviuosly fixed tonight. May as well have handed them the cheque at the start of the night.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't bother with the celeb version it is so pre planned it is laughable when the Chaser gets simple questions wrong:yawn:.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jules1000 wrote: »
    I don't bother with the celeb version it is so pre planned it is laughable when the Chaser gets simple questions wrong:yawn:.

And yet, the celebs have lost before - fixing a quiz show would leave itv1 open to huge fines and censuring, not sure they would take such a risk for £50k or so, they could make an anonymous donation off air and keep it above board.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think he looked well.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    And yet, the celebs have lost before - fixing a quiz show would leave itv1 open to huge fines and censuring, not sure they would take such a risk for £50k or so, they could make an anonymous donation off air and keep it above board.

I would say it is pretty easy for this type of show to be fixed without anyone actually proving anything a wink and a nod would suffice.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jules1000 wrote: »
    I would say it is pretty easy for this type of show to be fixed without anyone actually proving anything a wink and a nod would suffice.

the celebs that lost woudn't take it to well if it was fixed.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny, when the chasers lose there are calls of it being fixed, but then 2 weeks ago when Anne won, there were people moaning that it was mean to take money off the charities!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raven123 wrote: »
    Obvious fix.

This is what I thought. He's never been that shocking in the past before. I started to suspect something was up when I saw the total amount of money that the people on the panel had was £100,000.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    It's funny, when the chasers lose there are calls of it being fixed, but then 2 weeks ago when Anne won, there were people moaning that it was mean to take money off the charities!

Quite agree. This forum really does cough up some characters.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    This is what I thought. He's never been that shocking in the past before. I started to suspect something was up when I saw the total amount of money that the people on the panel had was £100,000.

Hopefully it is beneath Mark to throw answers, professional integrity cannot be bought - it is not even about the money, I wouldn't mind if they gave the celebrities easier questions than the chaser - but losing on purpose would leave a very sour taste, I doubt that even the charities themselves would want to be associated with 'approved' deception.
  • David1964David1964 Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Hopefully it is beneath Mark to throw answers, professional integrity cannot be bought - it is not even about the money, I wouldn't mind if they gave the celebrities easier questions than the chaser - but losing on purpose would leave a very sour taste, I doubt that even the charities themselves would want to be associated with 'approved' deception.

I posted the question.
    Mark is one of the strongest chasers and long before the final chase I asked the question 'is he going to throw it?'
    With children in need the night before, I felt sure that they wouldn't let the chance to 'donate 100k to charity' slip by, it was a forgone conclusion.
  • malc59malc59 Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »

I was at the recording of the chase when Anne won, she was still answering the last question when the time ran out so she should of lost, they had to check the recording with the official adjudicator. It was decided to return the clock to 2secs and let Anne answer the question again, this time winning
    It does look like the game is fixed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad I'm not the only one very suspicious of this episode.

Bring back the normal show
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    I don't believe for a second that Mark "threw" the game but it's possible the questions maybe suited the contestants better.
    If Mark was going to throw it, it wouldn't have been by such a big margin.
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't watch the last minute of the chase - I really hate smug rude contestants - even if it is for charity
  • HazelKeelanHazelKeelan Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OxfordGirl wrote: »
    I couldn't watch the last minute of the chase - I really hate smug rude contestants - even if it is for charity

Excellent, loved it, they really thrashed him. Really pleased that anyone who didn't find this magnificent wasn't watching.
  • Raven123Raven123 Posts: 3,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David1964 wrote: »
    I posted the question.
    Mark is one of the strongest chasers and long before the final chase I asked the question 'is he going to throw it?'
    With children in need the night before, I felt sure that they wouldn't let the chance to 'donate 100k to charity' slip by, it was a forgone conclusion.

Usually when they choose the higher amounts, Mark wipes the floor with them.

I knew as soon as it hit 100k that he would throw it away.

He usually hits the 20th answer with around 20-30secs remaining, he seemed to get questions wrong and then looked like he didn't care, whereas usually when he gets them wrong, he's pig sick with himself.

22 is an easy target for a man that can hit 30 with time spare.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent, loved it, they really thrashed him. Really pleased that anyone who didn't find this magnificent wasn't watching.

It wasn't fun in the slightest. They were smug, got a large majority of pop culture, and Mark was either not on form, or throwing it. Either way, it was nowhere near as fun as regular The Chase, and the celeb specials have been a huge letdown so far. Majority of them go for the higher amount and get it - that just doesn't happen on the regular version, and it shouldn't.

It's just inflating the already ridiculously large egos of the smug celebrities. :/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They are bound to "thrash" him when the show is so clearly biased in favour of the "celebs". I am glad to find other posters on here that can see through this. The questions are dumbed down for the celebs, so Mark hasn't a hope of catching them. When they get one wrong, it's some random q that nobody could answer, so neither can the Chaser.

Any Saturday-nighter who hasn't seen the weekday show will get completely the wrong impression from seeing this.

Asking someone in Coro who plays so-and-so in Coro is like asking me who sits next to me at work.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=melvin_m_melvin;54716109}

Asking someone in Coro who plays so-and-so in Coro is like asking me who sits next to me at work.[/QUOTE]

I think the giveaway was asking about two of the best known streets in Manchester to a panel with half of them from that city.

As noted the questions are clearly tailored to suit the celebs (a few weeks ago they won when a boxer got the last question right and it 'just happened' to be about boxing!

I do not mind this as it is not fixing the programme. I am sure that the chaser plays fairly. It just tips the scales in favour of the celebs as they are playing for worthy causes.

Most celeb game shows do the same - and why not? It preserves the essence of the game whilst meaning that at least some charities win something.

The contest is still a contest and the celebs can - and already have - lost. Just less often than when the contestants are playing for themselves.
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care if he "threw" it or not. It was entertaining and 100k went to charity.

Anyway, as far as making the questions tailored to the celebs, vapid old fembot Carol Voldermolt couldn't even answer "what's 25% of 500! Paul Ross had to answer it!
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member

Asking someone in Coro who plays so-and-so in Coro is like asking me who sits next to me at work.

You're forgetting that the question was asked of Mark first.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ex Pat wrote: »
    I don't believe for a second that Mark "threw" the game but it's possible the questions maybe suited the contestants better.
    If Mark was going to throw it, it wouldn't have been by such a big margin.

The reason people sometimes get away with throwing a game is because it's not so blindingly obvious.