Alexandra Burke- Heartbreak On Hold Discussion

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    The snippets have exceeded my expectations. I obviously need to hear the full songs before making up my mind, but I'm hardly ever that intrigued by 30-second snippets. 'Fire', 'Tonight' and 'Oh La La' are the ones I'm mostly waiting for. And they are all surefire European summer hits btw ;) I also really liked 'What Money Can't Buy' :cool:

I can't get the 'la da dee la da da' from Oh La La out of my head....great 90s dance track sample there.....I agree with you about Fire and especially Tonight....both Euro smashes in my view...:D
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    I love oh la la. :D

What money can't buy has move me, and Alex wrote this when she was 18. :)

Sitting on top of the world is also a favourite.
  • BoxfreshBoxfresh Posts: 2,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    The snippets have exceeded my expectations. I obviously need to hear the full songs before making up my mind, but I'm hardly ever that intrigued by 30-second snippets. 'Fire', 'Tonight' and 'Oh La La' are the ones I'm mostly waiting for. And they are all surefire European summer hits btw ;) I also really liked 'What Money Can't Buy' :cool:

Insane right.

It's such a cohesive album. So rare in this day and age, where pop artists like Alex tend to have a mish-mash approach to albums, where they cover a wide variety of styles and genres to try and please everyone.

It sounds like the album of a serious artist. Alex has moved beyond most of her UK peers in this regard (like Jessie J, who sounds like a different artist on every single, or Pixie Lott, who refused to evolve beyond her first album).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I really love the snippets, definitely getting this album, my favourite is Heartbreak on Hold!
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ohh snippets!!!

Not gonna be doing any work tonight then lol
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait for this to COME OUT! I've been waiting impatiently to listen to some new material of hers, I honestly thought she should of released more songs from Overcome instead of making a deluxe version and I wish The Silence was released as a single earlier but it was still awesome in the end and her performance on X Factor was a DELIGHT in 2010. Let It Go is a great track, very summer, upbeat and fun, the video looks good too, I would of preffered a more summery location though but I'm sure this album will be good, hopefully even better than Overcome.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listened to the previews

Every song just sounds the same. She has done what i knew she would do. An uninspired, dull and genetic dance album.
  • KingsyKingsy Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree with the "every song sounds the same". After a few tracks in I could imagine exactly what the next one would sound like.

The only song that's unique is the last one, the ballad.

(I like Let it Go though.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kingsy wrote: »
    Have to agree with the "every song sounds the same". After a few tracks in I could imagine exactly what the next one would sound like.

The only song that's unique is the last one, the ballad.

(I like Let it Go though.)

People need to make up their minds. With "Overcome", you had people moaning that every song sounds different, like they were just there to fill every niche. Supposedly, Alex was just a "pop puppet" with no distinctive sound of her own. Now she's gone out and executive produced an album that is designed to have one overarching "sound", people still complain.

Better for Alex to do this and show growth and maturity as an artist, than do the same crap Pixie Lott did for her second album (that she did for her first), which was toss out a collection of unrelated songs that sounded completely different, but could appeal to different markets as singles.

People don't actually know what albums are supposed to sound like anymore, because of this approach.

Cohesive albums often have songs that share a similarity of sound across the whole album. The Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" is considered a pop masterpiece. If you listened to preview snippets of Pet Sounds, it'd be pretty easy to conclude that "the songs sound the same", because their is a cohesiveness in style, genre and production designed to make a tight record.

Not calling Heartbreak On Hold the new Pet Sounds or anything, but's it's damned refreshing to see a British pop artist actually try to do something this cohesive.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overcome was a fine debut album. It had a good flow, a mix of different genres and was fantastically put together through the songs. If anything, it wasn't too try hard and too pleasing like Leona's debut.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overcome was a fine debut album. It had a good flow, a mix of different genres and was fantastically put together through the songs. If anything, it wasn't too try hard and too pleasing like Leona's debut.

Overcome was good. But ultimately, it was a collection of good singles barely related to one another, not an "album". It's basically the common approach to pop albums these days. A few ballads, a throwback soul song, something R&B, some cheesy pop etc.

Albums with ambition are supposed to have songs that share an overarching similarity, whether it's in production, theme, message or sound. If Alex was a lesser known artist and she was taking this approach, she'd be commended for her artistry, instead of just chucking out unrelated songs to please everyone.

You can't really call Alex a clone of anyone based on her new album. Rhianna isn't doing this. Beyonce isn't doing this. Alex has found her own sound.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Tonight from this album is Euro smash waiting to happen....the beat she sampled has videos with 1.6m and 2.7m views each, and there are more....I think she could have a big hit with it...
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boxfresh wrote: »
    Overcome was good. But ultimately, it was a collection of good singles barely related to one another, not an "album". It's basically the common approach to pop albums these days. A few ballads, a throwback soul song, something R&B, some cheesy pop etc.

Albums with ambition are supposed to have songs that share an overarching similarity, whether it's in production, theme, message or sound. If Alex was a lesser known artist and she was taking this approach, she'd be commended for her artistry, instead of just chucking out unrelated songs to please everyone.

You can't really call Alex a clone of anyone based on her new album. Rhianna isn't doing this. Beyonce isn't doing this. Alex has found her own sound.

Couldn't agree more, I;ve already said it a million times in a load of threads about MJ saying that an album is supposed to be like a piece of classical music, and each song is a 'movement' within the piece - so it has a definitive sound, but each song can be listened to and enjoyed separately. :D

I agree about Overcome as well, while I liked about half the songs, it was pretty much just a collection of songs the label had paid for. This sounds musically, and vocally, far superior to the last album.
  • xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    The songs sound sooooo catchy!

I'm gonna be singing them for ages.
    Forum Member
    xmel05 wrote: »
    The songs sound sooooo catchy!

I'm gonna be singing them for ages.

Haha, I know right...sitting on top of the world and Oh la la will be on constant replay in three weeks time. :D
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Yes the album has a 'cohesive' sound.... but that sound is crap. Just a generic dance-pop album that I could imagine an act like Cascada releasing, not one of our 'best vocal talents'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    Yes the album has a 'cohesive' sound.... but that sound is crap. Just a generic dance-pop album that I could imagine an act like Cascada releasing, not one of our 'best vocal talents'.

That's a subjective opinion. One man's crap is another man's gold. But at least we agree it's cohesive.

And really, people need to start using another word other than "generic". I know it's supposed to be an insult, but the word completely loses all meaning the way people toss it out randomly on here when they hear something they don't like.

If I only came on this site, I'd assume every piece of music ever made was "generic", the way people are so quick to toss off that buzzword.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big dan wrote: »

SO true.
    Forum Member
    Boxfresh wrote: »
    That's a subjective opinion. One man's crap is another man's gold. But at least we agree it's cohesive.

And really, people need to start using another word other than "generic". I know it's supposed to be an insult, but the word completely loses all meaning the way people toss it out randomly on here when they hear something they don't like.

If I only came on this site, I'd assume every piece of music ever made was "generic", the way people are so quick to toss off that buzzword.

It's hilarious how Alex gets slated for her dance music being generic but the so-called 'princess' cheryl never does. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generic would be if every song was about hitting the clubs, dancing all night, chatting up guys etc...but no...

People think that because the beats are electronic, it's automatically generic, but every song has a positive message behind it, and the lyrics are not the usual 'dance all night, hit the club' stuff that others are releasing...there are one or two songs like that, but overall, the album does not sound like that.

She's found a sound that she likes and combined it with more meaningful lyrics. And the albums closer 'What Money Can't Buy' cements her vocal prowess and place as one of the UK's best female vocalists...
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Generic would be if every song was about hitting the clubs, dancing all night, chatting up guys etc...but no...

People think that because the beats are electronic, it's automatically generic, but every song has a positive message behind it, and the lyrics are not the usual 'dance all night, hit the club' stuff that others are releasing...there are one or two songs like that, but overall, the album does not sound like that.

She's found a sound that she likes and combined it with more meaningful lyrics. And the albums closer 'What Money Can't Buy' cements her vocal prowess and place as one of the UK's best female vocalists...

Couldn't agree more, the word generic is thrown around too much nowadays...:yawn:
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I loved the songs that leaked a few years ago from the Overcome sessions especially,,,

Starlight
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oReR3kADInI

The Music Sounds Better
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLotdxdUKoI

I think the new album sounds "fire" - pre ordered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SO true.

Sounds like the same complaints people initially had when Kylie released "Fever" (now considered by many to be her best album). Lots of early complaints about it being "generic dance trash" that all "sounded the same".

When people truly started to listen to the album, instead of just making snap judgements, it became obvious it was the best thing she'd ever done.
    Forum Member
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    I loved the songs that leaked a few years ago from the Overcome sessions especially,,,

Starlight
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oReR3kADInI

The Music Sounds Better
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLotdxdUKoI

I think the new album sounds "fire" - pre ordered.

One of my favourites. :)