Panic Buying-why?

bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why with every major weather event or something big happens does everyone have to start panic buying and when you go into the Shop/Supermarket there is some items that have run out:confused:

Yesterday i was in my local town where a few of the shops and supermarkets run out of Milk and bread and could not get any and today i hear on the news that Petrol is now begining to run out because of Panic Buying:confused:

These people that do that i take that they do not think of others before doing this ans surley supermakets and Shops should put a limit on what people should buy during this weather:confused:

Comments

• TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    Why with every major weather event or something big happens does everyone have to start panic buying and when you go into the Shop/Supermarket there is some items that have run out:confused:

Yesterday i was in my local town where a few of the shops and supermarkets run out of Milk and bread and could not get any and today i hear on the news that Petrol is now begining to run out because of Panic Buying:confused:

These people that do that i take that they do not think of others before doing this ans surley supermakets and Shops should put a limit on what people should buy during this weather:confused:

It's because the news programmes run stories about how this, that, or the other is running out but please don't panic-buy. At which point a large number of people think "oh, must go and stock up before it runs out".

EDIT: I forgot.- put a notice reading "only three sliced loves per customer" and some people who have never, ever, in their lives bought sliced bread will make sure they get their three!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because some folk think deliveries will not get through and they will not be left high and dry. Surely going without bread for a week will not kill anybody. Milk too?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because people are dim.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    Because people are dim.

This!!!!
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Because some folk think deliveries will not get through and they will not be left high and dry. Surely going without bread for a week will not kill anybody. Milk too?

I don't think anyone has actually said they'd die without Bread or Milk for a week, doesn't mean they'll stop liking a bit of Toast or White Coffee.

There was a sizable queue at the Shell garage, but none that I could see at BP's tonight, more down to Shell being at least 3p cheaper per litre.

My usual garage near work was out of fuel, has been for days, but they're the cheapest for miles.
    I saw the big queues at the Shell garage on the way home, decided not to bother.
    To be honest I came home saw this mentioned on the news, so went back and stuck in my usual 4 gallons (ish), it was on red anyway before I left work for home.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The answer is in the question.
  • Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can people panic buy petrol? Once the tank's full, you can't put any more in? :confused:
  • Mike HawkeMike Hawke Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    This!!!!

+1, that etc.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :( I guess with most people.It's a case of -'if you can't beat them-join them'.Become a panic buyer or be left behind.
    A very mild version of 'survival of the fittest' perhaps?.Not quite a nuclear war situation yet though.;)
    I haven't been able to get bread or milk for a couple of days now.Went for diesel tonight and when i eventully found a station with it, it was limited to a max of 20 ltrs.
  • Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they have watched The Day After Tomorrow one too many times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,864
    Forum Member
    Conditions aren't that bad here, so no need for any panic buying.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The bank ATM has run out of money
    Shops have run out of bread
    Sainsburys had run out of mince.
    Tesco has run out of orange juice with bits.
    The bus driver told me the bus wasn't going up Dover Road. So I spend 20 minutes walking up in slush and ice only to reach my road and see a bloody Dover bound bus stop at the bus stop I usually get off at!

I am going to write a complaint letter tomorrow.

I wasn't happy today.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    :( I guess with most people.It's a case of -'if you can't beat them-join them'.Become a panic buyer or be left behind.
    A very mild version of 'survival of the fittest' perhaps?.Not quite a nuclear war situation yet though.;)
    I haven't been able to get bread or milk for a couple of days now.Went for diesel tonight and when i eventully found a station with it, it was limited to a max of 20 ltrs.

I've heard the refinery at grangemouth is quite bad so tankers can't fill up. Also in Stirlingshire but didn't realise they were limiting petrol, that'll b why those robbing gypsys at Esso were out changing there prices again! Must get some tomorrow!!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone has actually said they'd die without Bread or Milk for a week, doesn't mean they'll stop liking a bit of Toast or White Coffee.

I didn't mean it literally. Sure having toast and white coffee is fine - but buying 10 loaves and 30 litres of milk to do so suggests the buyer is panicking in some way. :)
    Forum Member
    How can people panic buy petrol? Once the tank's full, you can't put any more in? :confused:

People who'd usually stick a tenner or half a tank in and probably only drive around at the weekend and still not empty the tank, tootle off and fill the tank to the brim.

Thousands of people all doing that, buying more than they usually would, leads to a jump in demand and a shortage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard the refinery at grangemouth is quite bad so tankers can't fill up. Also in Stirlingshire but didn't realise they were limiting petrol, that'll b why those robbing gypsys at Esso were out changing there prices again! Must get some tomorrow!!

Grangemouth has had a lot of snow.But not half as bad as other slightly higher nearby areas.I wouldn't imagine BP would skimp on snow clearing facilities at the refinery.
    Diesel was 121p a litre a couple of days ago.Tonight i paid 125p.That's quite a hike in 2 days.
    The panic buyers are the ones pushing the price up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bank ATM has run out of money
    Shops have run out of bread
    Sainsburys had run out of mince.
    Tesco has run out of orange juice with bits.
    The bus driver told me the bus wasn't going up Dover Road. So I spend 20 minutes walking up in slush and ice only to reach my road and see a bloody Dover bound bus stop at the bus stop I usually get off at!

I am going to write a complaint letter tomorrow.

I wasn't happy today.

:D Never mind.At least it's the weekend.Have a drink and look forward to Monday morning.;)
  • TheDonkTheDonk Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's business as usual down this way.

:p
    Forum Member
    I didn't mean it literally. Sure having toast and white coffee is fine - but buying 10 loaves and 30 litres of milk to do so suggests the buyer is panicking in some way. :)

Ewwwh Fridge bread, don't like bread that's been frozen or in the fridge, rather go without.

Then again, you can't always tell who's doing the panic buying.
    I always see people buying 10+ loaves of bread and milk.
  • Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who'd usually stick a tenner or half a tank in and probably only drive around at the weekend and still not empty the tank, tootle off and fill the tank to the brim.

Thousands of people all doing that, buying more than they usually would, leads to a jump in demand and a shortage.

Why do people do this anyway? Filling up their cars when there's nowhere to drive to as the weather is crap?
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I always panic buy my diesel - I fill the tank up, and then panic when I see how much it is costing me :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have no bread, use crackers, rice or rice pudding as a dietary substitute, The shelf life is much longer than Bread.

Milk can be replaced by water, or simply having cups of tea without milk, even Nettle Tea (builds up the Iron being good for the immune system) as a Substitute.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck making a sandwich with rice pudding...
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes me glad I've got a breadmaker, not only does the bread taste better, but its handy to be able to make our own if the supermarket runs out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes me glad I've got a breadmaker, not only does the bread taste better, but its handy to be able to make our own if the supermarket runs out.

:) Might well be the way to go.I have to say,shopping in ASDA tonight.No bread at all on the shelves,even the Slimcea stuff no one ever buys was gone.I passed a seemingly abandoned trolley with 2 pks of bread rolls(amongst other things) in it.For a fleeting moment i was tempted to steal them and put them in my trolley.Finders keepers,loser weepers!.