Why is X-Factor declining?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they aren't bringing the talent in my opinion. Also, the judges are all just very boring.
  • 2la2la Posts: 4,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best thing about the old X Factor was the audition process in front of the judges, better still were the bad auditions. I hate the audience auditions and the standing ovations. And the bad auditions seem to be few and far between now.
    I agree the panel is crap, I misss Simon and Dannii.
    Infact I sky plus it and forward all the crap, which probably leaves about 10 minutes of me viewing the rubbish.
    Shame cos I used to love this show but it's been totally ruined:(
  • Since YesterdaySince Yesterday Posts: 5,051
    Forum Member
    SweetSyrup wrote: »
    Most glaringly, this judging panel does not work. Simon, Cheryl and Danni are all missed - that combination worked. Gary is the destitute man's Simon.

His over-enthusiasm for the likes of Frankie, and open dismissal for half-decent contestants to further his own cause truly stank - Simon did not do that.

The public has not forgave him for the tax scandal.

Tulissa is no Cheryl.

4 or 5 actual contestants per audition episode drags the show out and has made the whole process and finalists painfully obvious.

The 'scripted reality' TOWIE segments are a painful addition and do not work. They are trying to emulate a show which captures an audience of 1million, why exactly?

The set-ups, fake drama and gushing over average karaoke contestants ("you are WUURLD class", "You are an ARTIST") is old hat and smacks of utter drivel. Most of these "world class artists" will be flipping burgers in a year.

The Voice has taken some of the wind out of X-factor's sail.
    I don't think it's so much about 'combinations', or chemistry as some would say (although that premise is comprised at the moment in any case, due to the ever-changing guest judge fiasco). It's more a lack of gravitas. Cowell had many flaws, but at least his feedback had some depth and weight to it. He also provided charm, charisma, personality and humour - all of which have been sorely lacking since his departure. I think bringing Barlow back for another series was a big mistake, too. The supposed 'head judge' needs to be the glue that holds it all together, but he doesn't even come close.

Simon did do that, to be fair.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but I'd completely forgotten all about that until I read your post. I think Jimmy Carr took the brunt of it, and I don't think people particularly care about something they'd expect a popstar to do in any case.

That's one hell of a bonus, to my mind. Tulisa isn't as forward, that's for sure. But she's far more honest, and unlike Cheryl she pays enough attention to comment beyond what the auditionees/contestants are wearing. Take away the absurdity of the media's 'people's princess' obsession, and all that was left was a pretty damn useless judge.

Annoying as that may be, it's hardly anything new and was happening years ago.

At least we don't have to endure the product placement on top. Last year's USXF had an elderly couple eating breakfast (accompanied by Pepsi) at home before setting off for the auditions.

I tend to agree, although disingenuous superlatives have always been a staple of the show. And perhaps your OP is testament to how difficult it must be. You bemoan the use of old chestnuts with one of your own, after all.

At the start it did. But like a team that tops the league at Xmas before failing to qualify for Europe at the end, it soon faded away.
    ASHFORDSTP wrote: »
    I also hate the audience auditions,I don't think it adds to the show at all. I think if it comes back next year then they need to go back to basics.
    Most people seem to agree. But unfortunately Cowell is under the impression that we love it, and he's on record saying that now the change has been made they could never go back. It's the fourth series they've done it that way for too, so it's not as though it's suddenly started to affect the ratings this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the moment that Simon Cowell sent it to deadlock, when he had the option to send the joke act that is Jedward home.

From that point on, it ceased to be a talent contest & more about the headlines.

The viewers then realised that the joke was on them & have become bored by the X-Factor which has just continued in the same vein since.

Pretty much agree with this comment - I stopped taking the show seriously when the Jedward v Lucie Jones fiasco occurred :rolleyes:
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Boring. No funny banter with the panel like their used to be. No funny acts. Just show offs coming on stage.
    Horrible warbling singers (w*ggers) trying to sound black. Can no one sing normal these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's so much about 'combinations', or chemistry as some would say (although that premise is comprised at the moment in any case, due to the ever-changing guest judge fiasco). It's more a lack of gravitas. Cowell had many flaws, but at least his feedback had some depth and weight to it. He also provided charm, charisma, personality and humour - all of which have been sorely lacking since his departure. I think bringing Barlow back for another series was a big mistake, too. The supposed 'head judge' needs to be the glue that holds it all together, but he doesn't even come close.

Simon did do that, to be fair.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but I'd completely forgotten all about that until I read your post. I think Jimmy Carr took the brunt of it, and I don't think people particularly care about something they'd expect a popstar to do in any case.

That's one hell of a bonus, to my mind. Tulisa isn't as forward, that's for sure. But she's far more honest, and unlike Cheryl she pays enough attention to comment beyond what the auditionees/contestants are wearing. Take away the absurdity of the media's 'people's princess' obsession, and all that was left was a pretty damn useless judge

Annoying as that may be, it's hardly anything new and was happening years ago.

At least we don't have to endure the product placement on top. Last year's USXF had an elderly couple eating breakfast (accompanied by Pepsi) at home before setting off for the auditions.

I tend to agree, although disingenuous superlatives have always been a staple of the show. And perhaps your OP is testament to how difficult it must be. You bemoan the use of old chestnuts with one of your own, after all.

At the start it did. But like a team that tops the league at Xmas before failing to qualify for Europe at the end, it soon faded away.

Most people seem to agree. But unfortunately Cowell is under the impression that we love it, and he's on record saying that now the change has been made they could never go back. It's the fourth series they've done it that way for too, so it's not as though it's suddenly started to affect the ratings this year.

BIB - Up until her third year, Cheryl was a pretty decent enough judge. People seem to remember her for her last year when she was totally useless, but imo, that's unfair.

From what I've seen of Tulisa, I can't warm to her - she just annoys me.
  • Andrew_DuncanAndrew_Duncan Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jules1000 wrote: »
    If you want my honest opinion it is becoming ever so ever so chavvvvvvyyyy....:( With audience members and judges clapping and giving standing ovations to absolute sh*ite performances....:(

The audience come across as thick as pig sh*t...Similar to those of the BB that go to eviction nights...:D

You, my friend, have just hit the nail on the head! For me the show has improved this weekend, however, the audience are really, really, really irritating. The fact utter sh*t acts like that guy tonight that was like a bad Frankie Cocozza (i know saying it's a bad Frankie speaks volumes) that they put through, WTF?! Like Leona said you could barely hear his vocal and for me what you did hear wasn't entirely flatering either.

Another thing I picked up on was some where being sent away to work on their confidence and two minutes later someone else who's nerves where equally as bad was put through simply because they were better looking.

Also as much as i hate the audition crowd aren't they their because Simon wanted extra money from ITV to cover costs but ITV said no. Weren't the audition audience brought in to make the extra money needed? (not sure i just remember these changes happening around the same time-ish)
  • troy4783troy4783 Posts: 3,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people are overeacting yes its loosing viewers but the viewing figures are still quite high and it's still one of the most popular show's on TV
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    troy4783 wrote: »
    I think people are overeacting yes its loosing viewers but the viewing figures are still quite high and it's still one of the most popular show's on TV
    Salv* wrote: »
    This far into a series, every show does it. I remember during X factor's peak I said that XF can't keep increasing and that after the 7th series it would start decreasing like Big Brother did in it's final years on Ch4. People just laughed at me. BB now on Ch5 (CBB for sure) still consistently gets the top ratings of the channel despite being on for 27th series in total. X Factor is in it's 9th series (the 2nd series where the ratings continued to decline for BB). It will only go down from now. Not everyone can watch a series for 10 years+. Give it another 5 series if it's still on, I'd be amazed if it was getting anything over 5m.

The BIB sums it up. No matter how popular a show is, as soon as it starts losing viewers, you should start asking why? If X Factor keeps losing viewers year on year, it will no longer be one of the most popular shows on TV, simple as.
    Forum Member
    BIB - Up until her third year, Cheryl was a pretty decent enough judge. People seem to remember her for her last year when she was totally useless, but imo, that's unfair.

From what I've seen of Tulisa, I can't warm to her - she just annoys me.
    No selective amnesia here, I'm afraid. She was utterly useless throughout. Much like Nicole during her previous stint as a guest judge, we were told that she was the best thing since sliced bread - and people swallowed it. Her feedback was consistently useless, and pretty much invariably had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the actual singing.

You certainly wouldn't be alone on that score. But at least she does the job she's paid to do - something Cheryl Cole never managed to accomplish.
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    troy4783 wrote: »

Yes, but what about the massive sums ITV are paying for it...there comes a point where they'll start losing money if figures drop to such a level.
  • Kuda_KunakaKuda_Kunaka Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss Kelly
  • jaek123456jaek123456 Posts: 8,410
    Forum Member
    X Factor for me was best Series 1-3. As I was really glued to the television every time it was on (Age 11-13)

Series 4-6 I could just about cope with and there were moments when I watched it just for the sake of it (Aged 14-16)

Series 7 I only really watched it because the novelty act was still interesting to me (Wagner). (Aged 17)

Last year I watched auditions only but was very bored with them at the same time. It was just a family thing that I've grown to become used to over the years. (Aged 18)

Series 9 and literally I wanted it off the moment it came on. I've just had enough of over 200-300 hours of the X Factor. It's good when you're not used to it and you've not seen everything that can be put on a show like it. But seriously there's not been one act I'd watch the show for this year. (Age 19).

Don't get me wrong. The people who are only just old enough to appreciate the show will like it. But for the person who isn't too far from their 20's/has had a decade of it, you just don't want to be associated with it anymore.

The only real big audience for the x factor now are families with children who haven't grown out of reality tv singing contests.
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    I miss Kelly

... AGREE.....for me, an audition like Misha's is missing from this year's series too!!
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite series were Series 2,3 and 5. Basically the years where it started off in the audition room alone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    The rot didn't set in until last year but it showed all the issues this year has -

- Panel has no chemistry and are sadly not very interesting. Nicole has now increased the issue
    - The forumula that worked is slowly being eroded by TOWIE style unreality sequences and a near insane drive to turn the show into a silly Essex style drama
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that this year when it came to the point of spending 5 minutes taking the p*ss out of a chinese persons accent ... thats the point it reached a new low
    Forum Member
    jaek123456 wrote: »
    The only real big audience for the x factor now are families with children who haven't grown out of reality tv singing contests.
    Sorry, but that's a really daft presumption. My mum watches it every week, as do her friends, and they're all in their seventies. You may feel that you've "grown out of reality tv singing contests", but that's clearly not the norm. And if the show lost its appeal once people reach their late teens / early twenties, there'd be no need for them to have an 'overs' category at all.
  • wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show has spiralled away from it's winning formula into something immersed in over-production and downright fakery.

How have we arrived at a situation where 'contestants' seemingly arrive at an audition and then 'scenes' are shown of them that are meant to be before their actual televised audition ie on the way to the audition or having their breakfast:rolleyes:.... does this encourage us to think anything other than that certain 'chosen' acts are being 'forced' on us.

We need to get back to basics.....strip back the tampering and get rid of the audience until the live shows.

Nothing on earth would ever make me vote on one of these shows in any case and I still watch it but as much as I understand that the makers are creating an entertainment show first and foremost the X Factor is making me feel like I am watching the talent show equivalent of wrestling.......set up and fake.

The danger is that the show will be scrapped rather than reformed or returned to how it used to be if people stop watching and phoning so maybe we have to accept that it needs to be this way and get the idea of it being a talent show (as we used to understand it) out of our minds.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SweetSyrup wrote: »
    * 4 or 5 actual contestants per audition episode drags the show out and has made the whole process and finalists painfully obvious.
    * The 'scripted reality' TOWIE segments are a painful addition and do not work. They are trying to emulate a show which captures an audience of 1million, why exactly?

For me these two more than anything else. I want to see auditions. Not stupid people doing non-singing stupid things.

I used to like the X-factor as simple entertainment on a sat night. These series has been dross, and i only watched the first one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    TheFridge wrote: »
    Good post , spot on all of it.
    Thank you. I'm just telling it like it is.
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The public gets bored with all TV formats, apart from sport. Look at the schedules of 20 years ago - how many of these progs are still aired? Only the soaps.
    Forum Member
    E05297535 wrote: »
    ... AGREE.....for me, an audition like Misha's is missing from this year's series too!!

Agreed, Love or hate Kelly she got people talking. Also the auditions are flat compared to last year.
    Forum Member
    mike1948 wrote: »
    The public gets bored with all TV formats, apart from sport. Look at the schedules of 20 years ago - how many of these progs are still aired? Only the soaps.
    I totally agree, everything has a life cycle. They are so many "reality" shows on now it's been done to death, however "reality" tv is cheap to make. Why do you think the likes of TOWIE, Peter Andre etal are still on our screens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    It's become a case of if you have classic good looks and can hold a note you get a standing ovation.
    The panel are dryyyyyy at least Kelly was very funny at the Auditions last year
    And Louis comments are always extremely predictable.