Your favourite radio jingle

George!George! Posts: 63
Forum Member
Here's a thread that does exactly what it says on the tin. I'm sure this had been debated at great length, but I'm been unable to find a thread on the Forum relating to it.

So, what is your favourite radio jingle, past or present? I am really liking the current Smooth Radio package, it is such an improvement on their old set, even though it was just a minor tweak on the last note and a different chord sequence.
I also really liked the last lot of jingles used by BBC Radio Suffolk before they were dragged kicking and screaming into the Mcasso ones. Fortunately most of this package live on at the S2Blue website.
I listened to a lot of Classic FM in the 90s, and have a soft spot for those jingles too. I don't know if they are online though I'd like to think they were.

And finally... the dubious prize of my least favourite jingle goes to BBC Radio 2. This has been consistent for many years and I know I'm not alone in thinking the nation's favourite station has terrible jingles. The latest update recently was a mild improvement, but certainly not a refresh. They need to go back to the drawing board in my opinion.

Comments

• occyoccy Posts: 65,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The New refreshed Radio 2 package is sounding good. I guess not many Radio stations use sung jingles now. Smooth jingles seem to be made earlier this year.http://www.jinglenews.com/2013/01/15/smooth-radio-blasts-into-2013-with-new-jingles/
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PAMS "music power" on Radio 1 an d the original opening jungles on Capital 539
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pamms of Dallas is the place to look for jingles that made the 60s and beyond so great for radio.
    Best would have to be Radio London (Big L) with Radio Caroline next and Radio North Sea, Swinging Radio England up there. They all had good jingles including some not so good to be honest. Radio 2 is much better now that those stinker jingles have gone where they just sang out names in the same style that sounded like they had people trapped in a lift and refused to get an engineer out if they did not do them a favour and sing out names from some list.
  • LocksmithLocksmith Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me the old Capital Radio main theme jingle, the long one by Blue Mink I think?

Got all nostalgic and looked it up!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkkoevdqyM0
  • devoncoastdevoncoast Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Locksmith wrote: »
    For me the old Capital Radio main theme jingle, the long one by Blue Mink I think?

Got all nostalgic and looked it up!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkkoevdqyM0

totally agree - legendary
  • SimonjharrissonSimonjharrisson Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Leicester Sound and Chiltern Radio jingles of the mid 1980s were great, all from Dallas, where else? :D
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best jingles were the old Radio One Pam's Dallas.
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Chris Moyles packages were pretty revolutionary - would be totally out of place in most other shows but somehow worked.
  • voltorevoltore Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    I really loved some of the PAMS ones, however the one I have most memories were the original David Arnold and the Essex Radio ones with full orchestra.

I know some of them are on Production music CD's but darned if I can find them!
  • Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It started in 1964. The jingle stated "Take a lively companion wherever you go - take a portable radio !". And we were able to, thanks to Hong Kong churning out millions of 6-transistor AM radios, with little triangles on the dials indicating the US National Defense ( US sp ) frequencies if the cold war should turn nuclear. Some of those millions came to the UK, enabling us to listen to Caroline wherever we were... Yes, that will always be my favourite jingle, which brings back so many happy memories of the offshore 1960s days...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    1 9 4 Radio Ciiiiiittyyyyyyyyyyyyy Corny and predictable maybe but very nostalgic for me. A close second is " In the north west, you know what's best ! Red Rose radio " followed by Beswick saying "Ow do "
  • HaggisSupperHaggisSupper Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    voltore wrote: »
    David Arnold and the Essex Radio ones with full orchestra.
    I know some of them are on Production music CD's but darned if I can find them!

Some of those big instrumentals and stingers for Essex, GB Radio etc appeared on at least one Carlin Production Library CD but these are tightly controlled and licenced so rare to find any leggally but ocasionally strange things do appear on e&ay or by plugging the right words into google

:rolleyes:
  • CeeOCeeO Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "When you wake up in the morning and before you go to sleep we're the fun and friendly entertaining company to keep, for the news around your village or town all you need to know, from the country to the coast Saxon Radioooooooooooo"

1980s Saxon Radio 96.4 Bury St Edmunds.
  • KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Dodd wrote: »
    It started in 1964. The jingle stated "Take a lively companion wherever you go - take a portable radio !". And we were able to, thanks to Hong Kong churning out millions of 6-transistor AM radios.... Some of those millions came to the UK, enabling us to listen to Caroline wherever we were...
    They were so 60's - The time when women were expected to be housewives. Where's me Caroline transistor as I like to take a lively companion wherever I go - Enjoy Phil. :p
  • ahall41116ahall41116 Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Viking FM used to have a 'power sting' which they played with Anastasia's I'm outta Love.

"....Viiiiking FM......oh yeah, yeah, yah, 96.9...ah ha..Viking FM"

Ash
  • voltorevoltore Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Some of those big instrumentals and stingers for Essex, GB Radio etc appeared on at least one Carlin Production Library CD but these are tightly controlled and licenced so rare to find any leggally but ocasionally strange things do appear on e&ay or by plugging the right words into google

:rolleyes:

I have access to most of them at work, but searching is quite the task and David Arnold comes up in a helluva lot of CD's! I found them by accident about 10 years ago & kicked myself for not sorting it out then!
  • Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talksport used to be brilliant for jingles- Campese Zambezi and Stan by Eminem for Stan Collymore spring to mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    "Beacon Radio 303, your sunshine sound.".. plus the 'Shaft' news jingle. Think they were made by EMIson in 1976 :D
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone remember Peter Young doing the Capital breakfast show for about 3 weeks I imagine covering for Graham Dene circa mid 70s. He had a jingle "Peter Young for a Capital day he's the one to get you on your way....Peter Young for a Capital day on Capital 194" I don't believe he ever covered for that show again. Great shame as he is one fine broadcaster.
  • Captain Peac0ckCaptain Peac0ck Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Summer radio on the Tony Blackburn* show
    Hear his music grow
    on the Tony Blackburn show

* or other DJ's name
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IVGUydfKyU
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Forth had some classic packages during the 1980s, all produced by Sound House who were their in-house jingle production arm. The short-lived Great Music Radio package, which was used from January 1987 until late-June 1988 - usually Forth used jingle packages for a period of 2 years - was particularly memorable since it enlisted the vocal talents of Madeline Bell for some of the jingles and the late, great Tommy Vance for the sweepers and was proof that in-house productions could be just as polished and slick as those from the major companies. The predecessor Hit Music Radio and News & Information Station packages were equally memorable in their own way. In fact the latter package found a new lease of life when it was re-arranged and re-recorded as the launch package for Radio Borders in 1990 and which went on to be the classic sound of that station.

Unfortunately the Greatest Memories Latest Hits package, which succeeded Great Music Radio and was the last package to be used by Forth prior to the split in 1990, was memorable but for the wrong reasons. The key problem for me was the use of song clones for the bulk of the jingles. Done well they can work, but they weren't in this case and were virtually blatant rip-offs of the songs they were based on. The package would have worked a whole lot better without the clones. It wasn't often that Sound House churned out dud efforts, but this was one of them.