Options

Top Gear

Comments

• Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    I, Candy wrote: »
    That's actually no more far fetched than the conspiracy theory about the numbers on the other two plates being kind of but not quite similar to the fatalities on both sides.
    toofast wrote: »
    Just another freak coincidence I imagine then.

i think Rafer is taking the p*** out of conspiracy theorists with that post....i could be wrong.....
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    1hour and 3/4's dull, reptititve nonsense for 15 mins of gripping TV.

This show needs a big rethink, they cant keep churning out the same formula of childish jokes, modifying the cars, getting stuck, building bridges. Without the scandal at the end this would have been the weakest special to date.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's actually no more far fetched than the conspiracy theory about the numbers on the other two plates being kind of but not quite similar to the fatalities on both sides.

It's sheer coincidence nothing more. But Somebody in Argentina decided to read more into it than what was there to whip up hatred. If you look hard enough at anything you can twist just about everything to suit any particular agenda.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,995
    Forum Member
    Rafer wrote: »
    It's sheer coincidence nothing more. But Somebody in Argentina decided to read more into it than what was there to whip up hatred. If you look hard enough at anything you can twist just about everything to suit any particular agenda.

I think it may have been a journalist in this country, if I remember correctly Clarkson had been in a tweeter spat a few days before with a newspaper and someone in London decided to stir things up in retaliation?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1hour and 3/4's dull, reptititve nonsense for 15 mins of gripping TV.

This show needs a big rethink, they cant keep churning out the same formula of childish jokes, modifying the cars, getting stuck, building bridges. Without the scandal at the end this would have been the weakest special to date.

Not at all I really enjoyed it and it is a shame the football match at the end did not happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Falklands war lasted 72 days. 7+2 =9. Clarkson drove a 928. Only one number different. More clear and deliberate provocation.
  • Options
    vickkijvickkij Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Regardless of whether the number plates were deliberate (let's be honest they probably were) it didn't deserve that reaction.

Now I know parts of the show are set up and I'm happy with that but I was wondering if this was mentioned or noticed elsewhere. After driving on the lake bed, JC showed the other two on the map where they were. Just below this point the map said something along this lines of "this is a remote hotel where Butch Cassidy stayed as an outlaw." This was shown in the 2nd program, where we were lead to believe they had travelled quite a distanced south of where they originally stayed.

However the map showed that they actually a little north of this point?! Like I said I don't mind parts of the program being set up but this seemed a little sloppy on the production/editing teams part.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    i think Rafer is taking the p*** out of conspiracy theorists with that post....i could be wrong.....

You're not.
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know - I'm just trying to highlight the ridiculousness of the number plate theory by saying how your spoof one is just as plausible.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    You're not.

oh goody! :D
  • Options
    stewieguystewieguy Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what people imagine the "joke" of the number plate(s) would have been if it was all deliberate? At most it would have been throwaway line, they could hardly string it out into any more.

And yet for this they didn't just go and buy some relevant number plates and fix them to suitable cars, they sought out V8 sports cars with the plates already registered to them so that effectively an entire 2 hour programme could be built around them!

And this was after the production team sat in development meetings months beforehand saying "..and how about...as well as a knob joke and a cow on the roof bit, we'll make a joke about the number of people who died in the Falklands war, only we won't use the actual numbers, just ones that are sort of in the same ballpark. It'll be really funny, the audience will love it...".

Seriously, there are people who genuinely believe this nonsense?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know - I'm just trying to highlight the ridiculousness of the number plate theory by saying how your spoof one is just as plausible.

Thank you. Its difficult to know if people are taking this seriously or not when it's typed as opposed to spoken.;-)
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the idea that some people accept that it was coincidence. I am not sure what's dafter, claiming it was a coincidence, or actually believing the claim. You don't have to blindly defend something just because you're a fan of the show, are people not able to admit that there might have been a bit of tomfoolery involved? Are they really so set in their support that they will not admit the blatantly obvious?

There's a side of me that thinks if incidents were as broadcast, they did deserve some kind of hostility, I'm pretty sure we'd feel hostile if something similar happened.

At best... it was a joke that kicked them in the crotch.

It was certainly not a coincidence.

Edit: Regarding the other number plates, no that's just silly, only the main number plate was deliberate in my opinion, the rest is just a certain rag trying desperately to fuel the fire some more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how much this debacle cost??
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    pork.pie wrote: »
    I love the idea that some people accept that it was coincidence. I am not sure what's dafter, claiming it was a coincidence, or actually believing the claim. You don't have to blindly defend something just because you're a fan of the show, are people not able to admit that there might have been a bit of tomfoolery involved? Are they really so set in their support that they will not admit the blatantly obvious?

There's a side of me that thinks if incidents were as broadcast, they did deserve some kind of hostility, I'm pretty sure we'd feel hostile if something similar happened.

At best... it was a joke that kicked them in the crotch.

It was certainly not a coincidence.

In your opinion....
  • Options
    jj2jj2 Posts: 4,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    negativland2006 ‏@negativland2006 6m6 minutes ago

next week #topgear go to the tribal regions of peshawar

:o
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    The Falklands war lasted 72 days. 7+2 =9. Clarkson drove a 928. Only one number different. More clear and deliberate provocation.
    Two and Times both start with T. 9 Times 8 is 72.
  • Options
    stewieguystewieguy Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just out of interest, how many of the freelancers who would have worked on this production, spending day after day with rest of the production team as well as JC and co have come forward to complain or seek compensation for their lives being put at risk for the sake of this number plate "joke". Anyone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Part one Showed shots of Antelopes. There was also talk between Clarkson and May about the film "where eagles dare". That film contains the famous line "broadsword calling Danny boy." Both Antelope and Broadsword were names of British vessels in the Falklands task force. It's all deliberate. Not to mention James' surname is May and the war took place during the month of May. That's all the justification you need to run them out of the country right there.
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    vickkij wrote: »
    Regardless of whether the number plates were deliberate (let's be honest they probably were) it didn't deserve that reaction.

Now I know parts of the show are set up and I'm happy with that but I was wondering if this was mentioned or noticed elsewhere. After driving on the lake bed, JC showed the other two on the map where they were. Just below this point the map said something along this lines of "this is a remote hotel where Butch Cassidy stayed as an outlaw." This was shown in the 2nd program, where we were lead to believe they had travelled quite a distanced south of where they originally stayed.

However the map showed that they actually a little north of this point?! Like I said I don't mind parts of the program being set up but this seemed a little sloppy on the production/editing teams part.
    Two different places.

The Butch Cassidy cabin they visited in the first episode is in the vicinity of Cholila.

There's a hotel near Tres Lago (the town they mentioned) which claims Butch Cassidy stayed there for a period - although an Argentine history professor on TripAdvisor mentions the hotel was only built about 10 years after Cassidy was in the area!

Around 1,100km between the two on Google Maps. https://goo.gl/maps/eUFDN

Cabin - http://www.roughguides.com/destinations/south-america/argentina/lake-district/cholila-around/butch-cassidys-cabin/

Hotel - http://www.hoteldecampolaleona.com.ar/

I wonder whether the map was a tourist one or whether on shows like the researchers prepare maps with potential talking points for the presenters?
  • Options
    Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    folk on this forum and beyond broadly speaking will fall into one of three camps re: the number plate saga and possibly even the car colour thing:

1. cars bought will full knowledge of the number plate connotations.
    2. sheer coincidence.
    3. not sure / undecided.

i'm in camp 1, as much as i like the show etc etc i'm struggling to see how they couldn't have known about the potential challenges the plates could cause, especially the porsche one for obvious reasons. say what you like about clarkson, i think he's a bit of a history buff and more switched on than some folk give him credit for, so once he saw the plate he and probably the other presenters must surely have 'clicked' and, in conjunction with production, decided to take the calculated gamble.

and ... as others have touched on ... were there genuinely no other routes out of dodge for the crew vehicles? of course i'm not implying they risked peoples health/life for the sake of a good shot ... but remember they are in the business of making good telly.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,590
    Forum Member
    No amount of offence over a number plate justifies throwing rocks at moving cars. Someone could have been seriously injured or even killed. One protestor came very close to being run over in his eagerness to brick their windscreen.

There are yobs everywhere. Ambulance and fire crews come under attack in the UK regularly by rock hurling idiots.
  • Options
    Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also notice the colours of the cars Red, Black and green. Or RGB. Or "Are GB" as in the Falklands are British. Clear provocation on behalf of top gear and not somebody making connections where there are none to find.

Are you sure it didn't mean Argie B? With the B standing for whatever you like?
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    I love the idea that some people accept that it was coincidence. I am not sure what's dafter, claiming it was a coincidence, or actually believing the claim.

Well they obviously didn't change the plates - the DVLA confirmed they were the car's given plates and had been for 30ish years. There are VERY few 928s for sale in the country at any one time. Normally less than 10. According to Wilman there were 3 on sale when production went to purchase them. It is a rather massive coincidence that the car they were looking for was available with that plate on it.

Now the crew member MIGHT have chosen that one of the three due to the number plate. Even so, the number plates were changed before the Porsche got back into Argentina and weren't even on it when the trouble started.

Of course they didn't. The Argentinians made themselves look like stupid, backwards thugs. Essentially it'd be like supporting their version of the National Front.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...he and probably the other presenters must surely have 'clicked' and, in conjunction with production, decided to take the calculated gamble.

As Wilman said though - why risk their hugely expensive and very important Christmas special filming for the sake of a sight gag on a number plate for two seconds? Either you've got to believe they'd take that risk or they didn't think the plate was offensive in any way.
    and ... as others have touched on ... were there genuinely no other routes out of dodge for the crew vehicles? of course i'm not implying they risked peoples health/life for the sake of a good shot ... but remember they are in the business of making good telly.

Except you are implying just that. To suggest the producers or the BBC would allow their crew to drive into danger for the sake of some 'exciting' footage is pretty gross tbh. It wasn't that they couldn't take another route out and ran right into the mob - they were in a large convoy of about a dozen cars, being followed and the mob morons knew which route they were on and organised for people to intercept them.
This discussion has been closed.