Communities on the internet

tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
Forum Member
✭✭
Do you know on the internet there's all sorts of communities- caravan clubbers, people of similar addictions, or mental afflictions, or even that mum's community, and thousands of others.
And some of these communities lead to perhaps unconventionally related people meeting together by an obscure interest, or a similar pursuit of aspiration. Meetup.com an example of this starting, or becoming more popular.

So question is are you a member of any communities on the internet and have you met?
(Maybe Digital Spy even)
And what is the weirdest community you have come across?

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was once on a forum for road kill but i had some disgusting PMs regarding sexual intercourse with dead animals >:(
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i got quite involved in the goings on in cookham, berkshire - though i`ve neither been there nor previously heard of it - i was invited on the boxing day [might have new years] hunt.

if it wasnt`there it was the other one somewhere in cheshire, can`t recall the name, nice little village.

in real life i do the same thing by visiting a place loads and getting a social life in it via the pub.

i`ve got little pockets of friendly people quite widely spread across a few counties this way.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i`ve got little pockets of friendly people
    The Borrowers, or the Smurfs?
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a member of a Grip Strength forum.
  • bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    I belong to a little community, like minded hilarious, if sarcastic, lovely people. Our general deranged minds and sometimes chaotic lives support each other through good and bad.

:)

Happy Easter!
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the only forum I participate in regularly, although I have posted a couple of times on Netmums (as opposed to Mumsnet :D).

I have met up with around 8 people from DS, all related to a BB theme, and 3 of those are very good personal friends now - we talk most days via IM/Skype and meet up when we can. They have been a godsend to me over the last 3 or so years.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i was once on a forum for road kill but i had some disgusting PMs regarding sexual intercourse with dead animals >:(
    Brings back memories of my marriage :p
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    The Borrowers, or the Smurfs?

more like the banana splits or the hair bear bunch.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know on the internet there's all sorts of communities- caravan clubbers, people of similar addictions, or mental afflictions, or even that mum's community, and thousands of others.
    And some of these communities lead to perhaps unconventionally related people meeting together by an obscure interest, or a similar pursuit of aspiration. Meetup.com an example of this starting, or becoming more popular.

So question is are you a member of any communities on the internet and have you met?
    (Maybe Digital Spy even)
    And what is the weirdest community you have come across?

I imagine there are, what with there being about the number of websites worldwide stated in the link below. There must be sites out there on anything you can think of.

http://www.internetlivestats.com/total-number-of-websites/
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I once discovered (via FHM) a Large Penis Support Group. NSFW obviously nor for minors. These days it seems to be a blokes who just like taking selfies and posting them online.

As well as this I'm a member of an airsoft forum. I may have played with some of them but it will have been coincidence, not because we're on the same forum.
  • bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    more like the banana splits or the hair bear bunch.

:o:D:D:D
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I'm part of a fireworks forum and a few gardening communities on Google+
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm part of a fireworks forum

I bet there's some banging conversation.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on a review website called Ciao UK and there's a group on Facebook where members of the site can chat and I'm a member of Loquax, a forum community for people who enter competitions as a hobby, although I admit I don't tend to chat very much there, I mainly just enter the competitions I'm interested in, that are posted there and share one or two that I come across myself. I've ran a few user to user competitions too, to give back to the community a bit.

There's a poetry forum too (someone here on DS recommended it to me) but I rarely go there nowadays. I also joined Plenty of Fish and chat on there but thats just a general site for looking for friends/potential partners based in your area.

I joined an anxiety support group on Facebook the other day as well but I think thats it. I haven't met up in person with anyone from the aforementioned websites, no.
  • ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have my own forum.
  • hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use facebook groups, find there is a community in those. I am groups for Socially Anxious and they have helped me. Had the chance to meet a few people and now class them as good friends.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Facebook groups should be not be mentioned as they are making the traditional forum dead.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I used to post on music forums - mainly to do with the Libertines