TiVo Tips & Undocumented Features Thread

RealDipStickRealDipStick Posts: 529
Forum Member
✭✭
I thought it would be useful to have a place to collect useful generally unknown features which users might have discovered.

My contribution is: You can step frame-by-frame through a recording by pausing, then each press of the Fast-Forward button will step to the next frame. Pressing the Rewind button while paused will step backwards several frames, presumably to the preceding MPEG GOP (Group Of Pictures), from there you can forward step to any frame in the group, so you can always get to any particular frame if required. I haven't seen this documented so hope it's useful to some of you.

Now if someone can tell me how to make TiVo remember my "Show Channels" setting without it going back to "All Channels" after a while, then I would be grateful.

Comments

• carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    Home Home : My recordings
    Home 1 : Manage series links
    Home 2 : Planned recordings
    Home 3 : Wishlists
    Home 4 : Search all TV
    Home 5 : Browse all TV
    Home 6 : Recording Hiccups
  • fixermanfixerman Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks Carl. I never knew that!:)
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I use the 2nd and 3rd of these a lot but prefer an alternate to the first:

My Shows;-)
    Forum Member
    No-one likes a smart-alec :p
  • RealDipStickRealDipStick Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just discovered a minor one which saves a little bit of time.

When tidying up and deleting a number of recordings, I used to go into the required My Shows folder, select the first one I wanted to delete, press clear, and then wait a few seconds for the display to be updated and the recording removed from it, then repeat this process for each recording I wanted to delete. I've just discovered that I don't have to wait for each one to be deleted, if I want to delete say five consecutive recordings I can select the first, then quickly press clear five times, and the five recording will all be queued up and all be deleted by the time the screen updates after a few seconds.

Hardly a life changing discovery, but every little helps.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    USB Keyboard

plug one in and the TiVo will use it.

F keys like F1-F12 all do a function F11 used to bring the old skool SD style main menu up. not sure it sill does?

basic keymapping:

0-9 = 0-9
    qwerty = qwerty
    Arrow keys = dpad on remote
    enter = ok
    backspace = back
    delete = clear

using one of these to type is far quicker than the remote.
  • jimboyjimboy Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    USB Keyboard

plug one in and the TiVo will use it.

F keys like F1-F12 all do a function F11 used to bring the old skool SD style main menu up. not sure it sill does?

basic keymapping:

0-9 = 0-9
    qwerty = qwerty
    Arrow keys = dpad on remote
    enter = ok
    backspace = back
    delete = clear

using one of these to type is far quicker than the remote.

Did not know this, could you post what the F-keys do?
    Forum Member
    jimboy wrote: »
    Did not know this, could you post what the F-keys do?

i'll try it out tonight and post in.

but yes any usb keyboard even wireless ones do work. I think bluetooth ones work (the official USA peanut keyboard remote uses bluetooth) but not sure if it works on ours, someone said it does.

EDIT: here we go

Enter = Select
    Esc = Clear (danger!)
    F1 = TiVo / Home
    F2 = LiveTV
    F3 = Guide
    F4 = CLEAR (danger!) / Delete
    F5 = Thumbs Up
    F6 = Thumbs Down
    F7 = Channel Up
    F8 = Channel Down
    F9 = Record
    F10 = Info
    F11 = SD main menu
    F12 = Nothing
    Forum Member
    Ethernet control protocol

it is widely documented (not sure if its been blocked now) that using the ethernet port you can send commands to the box to change channels, emulate keypresses.

with a bit of programming skill one could write an app to control the box.

essentially you could use an external app like XMBC/KODI to control the box providing you had a HDMI capture card capable of HDCP.... you could bypass that
    Forum Member
    I think bluetooth ones work (the official USA peanut keyboard remote uses bluetooth) but not sure if it works on ours, someone said it does.
    That may have been me; and yes, it does work :)
  • Red WimpRed Wimp Posts: 4,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just discovered a minor one which saves a little bit of time.

When tidying up and deleting a number of recordings, I used to go into the required My Shows folder, select the first one I wanted to delete, press clear, and then wait a few seconds for the display to be updated and the recording removed from it, then repeat this process for each recording I wanted to delete. I've just discovered that I don't have to wait for each one to be deleted, if I want to delete say five consecutive recordings I can select the first, then quickly press clear five times, and the five recording will all be queued up and all be deleted by the time the screen updates after a few seconds.

Hardly a life changing discovery, but every little helps.

If you want to clear the whole folder, you can press clear from the main my shows screen and it clears everything in the folder.
    Forum Member
    That may have been me; and yes, it does work :)

Thought it did! did you have to set anything up to get it to pair?
  • Chris JamesChris James Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I bought one several years ago and the USB pairer came with it
    Forum Member
    Netflix tests
    ==========

within the netflix app under settings there is an option to test netflix servers.

there are three servers, look at each scenario below to see the outcome:

All three servers pass and you see three green ticks - Netflix is operating normally
    One of the servers fail - Netflix is operating ok but some content might be unavaliable
    all servers fail - Netflix is down OR your TiVo's network connection is down

Whilst watching a movie, press info on your remote. A small text will appear top left of the screen, indicating the resolution the film is in. this is crucial because:

if it says anything other than 720/1080 when watching a HD film then either check your subscription level, you need to be on the higher one to receive HD. If you are then reboot the box. Also do a speed test on your VM broadband to see if your broadband is ok. remember if the speed isn't upto it netflix will drop down so you don't face buffering.

Also remember, netflix on Tivo DOES output full HD at 1080p. Enable 1080p on your box if your TV supports it.

as you choose a HD film your TV will for a split second loose TV input as the TiVo switches between 1080i/720p to 1080p. Verify by pressing info, followed by your TV's info. the TiVo should report 1080p, and so should your TV.
    Forum Member
    Nope. Plug 'n' Play.
    I bought one several years ago and the USB pairer came with it
    Not what he meant. Of course these things come with a receiver ;)
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,740
    Forum Member
    A couple of things to note here:

1: You need to wait for up to a minute for the quality of the film to settle down. When you start playing a 1080HD film it will display a low quality SD stream while it buffers up. So if you get SD quality reported at first then it is not a fault.

2: The TiVo broadband is NOT your broadband - TiVo uses its own and one can have a fault which the other does not. A speedtest on you own broadband will not really help find issues for a low quality Netflix service.
    Netflix tests
    ==========

Whilst watching a movie, press info on your remote. A small text will appear top left of the screen, indicating the resolution the film is in. this is crucial because:

if it says anything other than 720/1080 when watching a HD film then either check your subscription level, you need to be on the higher one to receive HD. If you are then reboot the box. Also do a speed test on your VM broadband to see if your broadband is ok. remember if the speed isn't upto it netflix will drop down so you don't face buffering.
    Forum Member
    ozsat wrote: »
    A couple of things to note here:

1: You need to wait for up to a minute for the quality of the film to settle down. When you start playing a 1080HD film it will display a low quality SD stream while it buffers up. So if you get SD quality reported at first then it is not a fault.

2: The TiVo broadband is NOT your broadband - TiVo uses its own and one can have a fault which the other does not. A speedtest on you own broadband will not really help find issues for a low quality Netflix service.

I think you'll find it uses the same connection, and it's off the same cable so if a fault occurs in the area it will affect both lines.
    yes it can find a fault because if you find that your area is overutilized, then of course the tivo built in connection will also suffer. it's on the same line but internally on a separate vlan for QOS and other services.. When a friend of mine had an issue both services were affected. I think I read somewhere that it's docsis 2 not 3, so that's why the internal tivo connection can only go to 20 meg.

The buffering I'll agree with but never noticed it myself mind.
    Forum Member
    That assumes the fault is very local - which it is often not.

Most of the time when we have lost network connection on TiVo or broadband - the other has continued to work.
    Forum Member
    I have two blutooth remotes here - and two TiVo in the same toom.

Each remote is assigned to a different TiVo - so you can have two (maybe more) TiVo active in the same room.

The newer remotes have a 'search' button which takes you straight to the text entry field.
    Forum Member
    ozsat wrote: »
    That assumes the fault is very local - which it is often not.

Most of the time when we have lost network connection on TiVo or broadband - the other has continued to work.

it can be very local sometimes.
  • RealDipStickRealDipStick Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is more of a warning than a tip. If you have any BBC3 recordings that you haven’t watched yet then you should watch them soon because after BBC3 is removed from the EPG those recordings will be considered as recordings from a channel that you are no longer subscribed to and you will be prevented from playing them.

I should point out that this is just informed speculation on my part, as this is what happened when Sky Arts 2 was removed from the EPG.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah; that would explain why they haven't deleted it already. I did wonder.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Ah; that would explain why they haven't deleted it already. I did wonder.

No, by order of the BBC Trust, they had to keep it in the EPG after closure to signpost viewers to the new online service.

The BBC3 HD listing was removed today, but will remain in existence off the EPG until 4/10/16 to enable customers to view any BBC3 HD content.

BBC3 SD now links to the online stream (TiVo customers only).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're FFing and find it easier, just press the larger and easier to find pause button twice. The first press does as you'd expect and pauses the FF, but the second press begins to play the recording.

The downside to this (if you like this feature like myself) is that it doesn't skip back a little to take into account that the recording will have gone a bit further by the time you've realised that you've reached the desired point in the recording and the device has processed your command.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just realised that, instead of tabbing forwards 2/3/4 times to get to the end or beginning of a recording, if you keep 'back' pressed down, it automatically jumps to the beginning of a recording.

Keeping the button used to skip forward 30 seconds pressed down makes it jump to almost the end of the recording :)