Teachers can confiscate food from pupils and not return it

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3145629/Teachers-confiscate-unhealthy-food-Government-issues-rules-carry-lunchbox-inspections.html#comments

I am normally pro school but I do have a problem with people taking food out of a child's lunch box and removing it from them.

If teachers have concerns about a particular child's diet then that is for them to raise via the school nurse or social services if things are extreme.

I think the government may be on thin ice here by advising this as taking something from someone that is not illegal is theft. Its different if its drugs or weapons but this is their lunch.

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    children should be sent home with a note, not have their lunch taken away and be humiliated [potentially] for the perceived parental sins.

and what if you have a child who will only eat certain foods?

also denial is more likely to create a desire.

a bit thick then, when all`s said and done.
  • VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never let the school take anything from me. Even during Secondary when I forgot to turn it off and it rang, they tried to take it off of me and I refused.
    Ended up getting sent out of the class but the teacher soon caved when I wouldn't hand it over because dealing with it meant he was teaching the lesson.

School staff are becoming too power hungry for their own good. They are there to teach children the skills they need to succeed in life, they are not there to police their lives!
    Forum Member
    VDUBster wrote: »
    I never let the school take anything from me. Even during Secondary when I forgot to turn it off and it rang, they tried to take it off of me and I refused.
    Ended up getting sent out of the class but the teacher soon caved when I wouldn't hand it over because dealing with it meant he was teaching the lesson.

School staff are becoming too power hungry for their own good. They are there to teach children the skills they need to succeed in life, they are not there to police their lives!

you had a ringing lunchbox? :cool:
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a disgrace, and we have had too many of these stories.

Why are school staff qualified to decide what individual pupils can eat? Simple answer is, they're not, and they should ignore these ridiculous Govt guidelines when a parent or child is not happy with them.

They actually have enough serious stuff to be going on with.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You could say the same for pupils who disrupt lessons because they flatly refuse to be parted from whatever it was that rang.
    Forum Member
    This is a disgrace, and we have had too many of these stories.

Why are school staff qualified to decide what individual pupils can eat? Simple answer is, they're not, and they should ignore these ridiculous Govt guidelines when a parent or child is not happy with them.

They actually have enough serious stuff to be going on with.

i couldn`t agree more.
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only people that have a right to control the child's diet is the parent .
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Some parents have little regard for their children's diet so drastic measures have to be taken, they only have themselves to blame for that.
    Forum Member
    Some parents have little regard for their children's diet so drastic measures have to be taken, they only have themselves to blame for that.

the children should not be punished by having it removed, it`s wrong and if you`ve got a fussy eater what you going to do, send them with an empty lunchbox?
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is wrong and senseless, especially as a few "unhealthy" things such as scotch eggs and sausages don't mean an unbalanced diet. It can just mean people at using up leftovers.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    the children should not be punished by having it removed, it`s wrong and if you`ve got a fussy eater what you going to do, send them with an empty lunchbox?
    Blame poor parenting not the schools.

Kids aren't born fussy eaters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And some kids are very very fussy about what they eat and the parents know what the child will eat a lot better than teachers who don't know as about what the child likes.

My brother was a very fussy eater and still is.
    I don't like veg that much but do like sweet corn, potatoes ,onions , mushy peas and baked beans.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Kids aren't born fussy eaters from birth.

Not all but some are,

No matter how much my parents tried to get me to try veg ,I would not like it.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Those "drastic" measures should be discussing the issue with a child's parents.

If a child took food from another child's lunchbox without permission it would be considered theft. A teacher doing the same should also be considered theft.
    Forum Member

Kids aren't born fussy eaters.

you`re wrong, some are.

i`m sure there`s things you don`t like the taste or texture of.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    It's pathetic. You can eat anything you want as long as it's in moderation. A child might have a scotch egg for lunch (it could have even been a treat or reward for something) but for all the teacher knows they will be having a tuna salad (as an example) for dinner.

All this is going to do is punish children who will find sneakier ways to eat what the teachers consider bad food. The only suitable solution is education, educate children on healthy eating habits. That will do them much better in the long run than taking their food away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pathetic. You can eat anything you want as long as it's in moderation. A child might have a scotch egg for lunch (it could have even been a treat or reward for something) but for all the teacher knows they will be having a tuna salad (as an example) for dinner.

All this is going to do is punish children who will find sneakier ways to eat what the teachers consider bad food. The only suitable solution is education, educate children on healthy eating habits. That will do them much better in the long run than taking their food away.

What next having a go at parents that give pop drink and sweet to their kids the minute the kid get outside school gates.
  • Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suspect they're just making sure its halal food.
  • linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you`re wrong, some are.

i`m sure there`s things you don`t like the taste or texture of.

Some are I agree. My 18 month old grandson is a nightmare!

My own two ate everything and everything but I think it starts from early feeding.

When mine where babies (in the olden days), I mashed everything, sunday dinners, spaghetti bol, whatever we were having was blended so they could eat it too and I fed them in their highchair and they ate what I gave them.

The 'new' way (as Ive found out since looking after aforementioned grandson) is not to spoon feed your baby yourself and not to give them solids until they can actually pick it up and feed themselves. So, in order to avoid absolute chaos at meal times he was having 'finger food', stuff that wouldnt be all over the place, or covered in sauce or gravy. Because of this he will now only eat 'dry' food. Trying to get him to tuck into anything in a sauce or gravy is impossible, he just boaks at it. I'm persisting with it it and keep giving him beans on toast, spag bol etc at tea time but he just looks at me with hatred in his eyes when I do :o
  • Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Problem is the Scotch egg contains pork
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    children should be sent home with a note, not have their lunch taken away and be humiliated [potentially] for the perceived parental sins.

and what if you have a child who will only eat certain foods?

also denial is more likely to create a desire.

a bit thick then, when all`s said and done.
    Yep, the issue is with a parent, not the child.

I would normally be on the other side of an argument like this, but this time, I think the schools remoing food from kid'slunch boxes is entirely wrong
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    One as has been mentioned are they qualified to make these decisions and secondly, are their own lunches open to such scrutiny, and are they willing to hand over anything that doesn't conform.

Gone are the days of the teacher "bumming" a **** off the smokers, when we did rural studies in the garden.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Problem is the Scotch egg contains pork
    More likely to be because they are deep fried.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

One of the skills you need in life is following the rules that your bosses set you. If you can't do it in school, you'll struggle to do it in adult life as well.

Your teachers were right to try and take your phone off you as you had broken the rules. Had they not, they would have been giving you favourable treatment. In the end you disrupted an entire lesson and no doubt irked any fellow classmates who wanted to learn.
    Forum Member
    linmic wrote: »
    Some are I agree. My 18 month old grandson is a nightmare!

My own two ate everything and everything but I think it starts from early feeding.

When mine where babies (in the olden days), I mashed everything, sunday dinners, spaghetti bol, whatever we were having was blended so they could eat it too and I fed them in their highchair and they ate what I gave them.

The 'new' way (as Ive found out since looking after aforementioned grandson) is not to spoon feed your baby yourself and not to give them solids until they can actually pick it up and feed themselves. So, in order to avoid absolute chaos at meal times he was having 'finger food', stuff that wouldnt be all over the place, or covered in sauce or gravy. Because of this he will now only eat 'dry' food. Trying to get him to tuck into anything in a sauce or gravy is impossible, he just boaks at it. I'm persisting with it it and keep giving him beans on toast, spag bol etc at tea time but he just looks at me with hatred in his eyes when I do :o

my four got everything on their plates whether they liked it or didn`t, they weren`t expected to the eat foods they didn`t like but they were on the plate if they wanted to try them.

one would eat nothing but weetabix for a while and another wouldn`t touch a vegetable but they`ll all eat pretty much anything now and are open to new foods.

making mealtimes a battle ground is unproductive and unpleasant in my experience.