Not Going Out - Series 1

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Love thisa show been watching on DVD and I noticed between Lee & Kate there seems to be alot of attaction from both of them but they never really want to go any further.

Had Megan Dodds decided to do series 2 do you think her character & Lee would have gotten together? In her final episode her character seemed really besotted with Lee when he did the cleaning job and moved out.

Why did she not do S2 anyway?

Comments

• Scotty_WaldenScotty_Walden Posts: 1,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt they'd have got together, as they'd have to had changed the name of the program!
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if Megan wanted to leave or if she was asked to leave.

Series one is very good.

Here is an interesting fact I didn't know.

In the original pilot of the series, which has not been aired, the part of Kate was played by Catherine Tate.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Yea the whole point of the show is the will they won't they, If they just did then the show ends
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is from a DS interview with Lee Mack

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/interviews/a293636/lee-mack-not-going-out.html
    I would like to pretend that every time we get a new girl in, it's to keep the show fresh! It's slightly been beyond our control. Catherine Tate was in the original pilot. That happened just at the time that she was being launched as a big famous comedian, so she suddenly became too busy to do it. Then we had the American girl, Megan Dodds. It didn't really work out with me and Megan. It wasn't her thing and it was a mutual decision
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if Megan wanted to leave or if she was asked to leave.

Series one is very good.

Here is an interesting fact I didn't know.

In the original pilot of the series, which has not been aired, the part of Kate was played by Catherine Tate.

Bloody hell. that was a lucky escape.

Fans of Megan Dodds should check out the HBO film 'The Rat Pack', in which she plays May Britt, wife of Sammy Davis jr. She's not in it a lot, but it's a good watch, and Don Cheadle is awesome as Sammy.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    She was also in Viva Blackpool.

I never got into Not Going Out which is strange because i'm a fan of Mack and Vine and don't mind that type of US sitcom.

Seeing Sally Bretton in later series was a surprise as I remember her from Absolute Power and she slimmed down a bit since then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt they'd have got together, as they'd have to had changed the name of the program!

Didnt think the name was to do with them. Megan deserved a second series.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt think the name was to do with them. Megan deserved a second series.

Well yeah cause if they were going out, they would not be Not Going Out.
    Forum Member
    Catherine tate as the lead female? I dread to think....it sounds awful
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As above. She's hardly anybody's fantasy figure is she?
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why Lee thinks it didn't work with Megan and yet kept Sally Bretton who is pretty dreadful. Series 1 is the best and always be until they get a good female lead.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »
    Yea the whole point of the show is the will they won't they, If they just did then the show ends

That's what buggered up Frasier for me. I stopped watching, not long after Niles and Daphne got together. The cockney brother from Manchester didn't help either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Well yeah cause if they were going out, they would not be Not Going Out.

Isnt that supposed to be Tom/Kate the line is for. Mind you they could always had a passionate kiss or something.

Series 2 seemed not as good as S1 as Sally Britton seemed very unlikeable how she tended to threaten Lee with eviction. I kinda think would have been better if Lee had been given the house.

S3 seems a tad calmer as its the first time ive gotten round to watch the series properly.

The only reason I got into the show was watching a show called TV Heaven Telly Hell and Lee Mack was on there and him and the host were pissing about having a laugh over various clips especially the Rod Hull one to which Sean Lock pulled a puppet out to attack Lee which Lee said ever met my friend Stephen the Shoe.

Very funny and then saw a clip for NGO and that line just because Thora Hird cant get up the stairs doesnt mean shes a Dalek was something that had me laughing away so thats what got me into the show.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Fans of Megan Dodds should check out the HBO film 'The Rat Pack'....

Or the film 'The Contract'. ;-):blush:
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Series 2 seemed not as good as S1 as Sally Britton seemed very unlikeable how she tended to threaten Lee with eviction. I kinda think would have been better if Lee had been given the house.

The problem was that this (I think) was also the series where she had the older boyfriend (which made it 2 against 1).

They did it much smarter in later series by having Lucy as the sidekick in episodes like the one about the pet (don't remember what animal) being run over and the drunk episode. It made her look as foolish as Lee and much more relatable.
    Forum Member
    The problem was that this (I think) was also the series where she had the older boyfriend (which made it 2 against 1).

They did it much smarter in later series by having Lucy as the sidekick in episodes like the one about the pet (don't remember what animal) being run over and the drunk episode. It made her look as foolish as Lee and much more relatable.

Agree with all you say here, If she is more on his level then the reason to care is there, If she is too high and might then it doesn't work

The animal was a pet rabbit of a young girl
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Series 3 so far has been pretty dire. I think I enjoyed the later series when they were on tv but this one isnt so great. In one episode she threatened to boot Lee out because he did something in the bath and she said she was pregnant but then it was just a april fools.

Then there was the lesbien and just because Lee said something to he she told him to get out and go to Tim's and just pushed him out of the door. I almost just turned the tv off in annoyance of how badly Lee is being treated in this series. Surely as a comedy writer the audience knows people who share a house have rights.

Ive been fed up with Lucys childish attitude in this series so far and have not warmed to her one bit. Id probably say I hate her so much I want Kate back.

I do remember the run over pet episode when she was the sidekick and thats probably S4 or 5 im thinking. Might as been the same series when Bobby Ball was Lees dad. So probably another 4 nights of dire Sally episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Or the film 'The Contract'. ;-):blush:

Is that the film where Megan Dodds goes skinny dipping? If so, yeah, she's got a great arse! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that the film where Megan Dodds goes skinny dipping? If so, yeah, she's got a great arse! :p

Anything else?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Anything else?

As far as I’m aware she’s never done any other nudity, only that skinny dipping scene where you see her bum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I’m aware she’s never done any other nudity, only that skinny dipping scene where you see her bum.

Unlike the emmerdale lass then who was in lake placid and you saw everything.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unlike the emmerdale lass then who was in lake placid and you saw everything.

We’re going a bit off topic now, but that was one hell of a skinny dipping scene. Personally I thought it just showed how desperate she was/is to go from a British soap star to a Hollywood movie star. Unfortunately for her, getting naked and doing a full frontal scene in a straight to video movie sequel hasn’t exactly given her movie star status.
    Forum Member
    And now her career is her doing exercise in the park....clothed, Someone needs to tell her if going full on naked failed then clothed exercise won't do it.

But that is off topic.