Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »
    Surely no one over the age of 16?

Caroline Flack?:confused::o:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe they are doing really well, but buy their music NO, sorry it's not to my taste
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Caroline Flack?:confused::o:p

I laughed :o:D. She'll have the one with Harry's face on it.
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good post! Take Me Home is one of favourite album's this year along side Two Door Cinema Club and Lana Del Rey lol

Great minds think alike. Love Two door as well, if you like them you should also check out Alt J. Take me Home as I've said is one of the best albums this year.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daisybelle wrote: »
    I believe they are doing really well, but buy their music NO, sorry it's not to my taste

Thats the good thing about life see, we all don't have to like the same thing.;)
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abibble wrote: »
    What's the obsession with them not writing songs? A lot of successful acts don't write their hits - it doesn't define what's good or bad.

It's because so many chart pap acts have close to zero involvement in their music that songwriting and artistry is important. Listening to acts like 1D and Rihanna is a soulless experience. If it floats your boat fine.

It's just plastic throwaway pap that sells well. *shrug*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's because so many chart pap acts have close to zero involvement in their music that songwriting and artistry is important. Listening to acts like 1D and Rihanna is a soulless experience. If it floats your boat fine.

It's just plastic throwaway pap that sells well. *shrug*

1D co-wrote 5 of the songs on their new album. Just a start, I'm sure they will have more involvement in the next. Considering how good the album is and well they are doing, the boys deserve some credit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a trick question?

I think people who likes their songs buys their music...... so fans maybe?

Did I get a right? What do I win :p
  • River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abibble wrote: »
    What's the obsession with them not writing songs? A lot of successful acts don't write their hits - it doesn't define what's good or bad.

Agreed, not all song writers are good performers and not all performers are good songwriters. Rare people are good at both, but I think it makes sense for people to team up and do the bit they are good at.
  • tiggerspptiggerspp Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    I know plenty of people who like Muse and One Direction. My husband is a huge Muse fan, in fact he is a massive music fan altogether with his love of music firmly in the psychodelic 60s era. He likes One Direction as well, not as much as I do admittedly, but he likes them.

There is no law to say that you can't like catchy pop as well as the more serious end of music.

Kaiser Chiefs are my all time favourite band, but One Direction is almost up there with me. We have had the crappest year ever and when I hear One Direction sing it makes me smile. That's good enough for me.

Yeah they make me laugh when I hear them perform too.... I suspect for different reasons.

P.S. Your husband is probably being nice tio you with the liking One Direction thing.... maybe he wants somthing nice for Christmas ;)
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    1D co-wrote 5 of the songs on their new album. Just a start, I'm sure they will have more involvement in the next. Considering how good the album is and well they are doing, the boys deserve some credit.

That's something, then. Did they write on anything single-worthy or just filler tracks? Don't get me wrong, I quite like 1D (!) but I see them for what they are, a cleverly-marketed, attractive set of boys with a great team behind them, and a very vocal fanbase.
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    The same audience that were attracted to the Backstreet Boys and Nsync in the 'old" days....
  • Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    tiggerspp wrote: »
    Yeah they make me laugh when I hear them perform too.... I suspect for different reasons.

P.S. Your husband is probably being nice tio you with the liking One Direction thing.... maybe he wants somthing nice for Christmas ;)

Naughty, I didn't say they made me laugh I said they made me smile. :)

As for my husband, I can assure he would not say it just to be nice, as I said he is passionate about music - as am I, and neither of us would hold back if we didn't like what the other one did. There is enough common ground to keep us happy, and to pretend to like something would just be patronising.

We both started going to concerts in the 1970s (not together) and have loved music ever since. The first live band I saw was Jethro Tull and the first headliner I saw was Jimmi Hendrix at the Isle of Wight in 1970, when I was 15.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The same audience that were attracted to the Backstreet Boys and Nsync in the 'old" days....

:eek: Wash your mouth out! Backstreet Boys and Nsync were in a league of their own. That was such a golden age of pop music. Or am I just showing my age now? :o
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I laughed :o:D. She'll have the one with Harry's face on it.

lolz!!:p

of course i have zayn's...;)
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    _elly001 wrote: »
    :eek: Wash your mouth out! Backstreet Boys and Nsync were in a league of their own. That was such a golden age of pop music. Or am I just showing my age now? :o

I meant the audience, the tweens and teens. The groups weren't going to be SO famous forever (5+ years).

Now as for talent......
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Me! I'm 16 1/2 and I buy and enjoy
  • BluestoneBluestone Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerspp wrote: »
    Can we stop using the term 'their music' like they have anything to do with it other than 'singing' the lyrics they are told to! Thanks :D

The voice they use to sing is a musical instrument....:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    I'm 22 and I have both of their albums. I agree with one of the previous comments. Their songs are fun and they put me in a good mood. Also, I think they are good singers.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xeo wrote: »
    People who like their music.

Right answer to obvious troll question, by someone who really can't grasp that other people like different music to him.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Surely though they had about as much success over here as Take That had over there.
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    NOT ME...they've got big enough heads as it is......plus they actually can't sing, FACT!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like 1D and have no problem with them being successful. One criticism I would level at them (well, not at them specifically, but at their 'camp') is that considering they are one of the biggest acts in the world right now, I really don't think their music is strong enough. .

I dont agree

Im not a 1D fan at all, infact I've always thought them mediocre and an act for tween girlies, I hated every song on their first album (my mum and little sis play it in the car all the time :cry:)

But I actually like the debut song of this album and the one they performed on XFactor at the final, and Im embarrassed to admit this as they are not my thing at all and Im in my 20s

imo this album and the singles are far superior to their debut and the material is much catchier and stronger
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I hear music snobs banging on about why people don't buy more "real" music, it's like hearing a health nut lamenting why do more people eat cookies instead of vegetables. BECAUSE COOKIES ARE DELICIOUS, DUMB A$$! And life would be boring if all we ate were vegetables. Variety is the spice of life.
  • YesYes Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    Children and idiots