Options

Instant Antibacterial Hand Spray!?

Hi,

I hope I'm alright posting about this subject in this part of the forum; the problem with posting in General Discussion is that you get a lot of immature posts. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've been a long-time sceptic of anti-bac/alcohol gel, especially since the 'swine flu' scam last summer, which made sales of the wretched stuff increase tenfold. :mad:

But I was in the 99p shop earlier and I noticed a variation on the gel - Hand SPRAY. :eek: You can apparently get 80 applications per bottle, and 3 bottles come in a packet.

Has anybody here bought or used this spray, and how would you say it compares to the gel equivalent. Personally, I think they're all a waste of money, but perhaps this is slightly less bad than the gels? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :sleep::sleep::yawn::yawn::sleep::sleep:

Change the record, JPD
  • Options
    bet lynchbet lynch Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if its only 99p for 3 bottles why dont you buy some and try it for yourself ??
  • Options
    lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DAMN!!!!
    Before I clicked I had a little bet with myself on how many :rolleyes: and :mad: we would have. I was one out! I thought there would be a :mad: at the very end of the post.

Back on topic I heard the spray smells of margarine. I would not recommend it for you, it might bring back too many bad memories.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried both (that particular brand of spray in fact).

It's rubbish, as are any other sprays I've tried. The gel is much better. To get enough you have to spray your hands a few times, and it seems to start drying off once it hits the air and you don't get a chance to rub it over your hands properly.

As for the 'scam' thing - I think everyone's entitled to believe what they want, and a few years ago I would have agreed with you. Any time one of those adverts came on TV suggesting you wipe your phone after every use I would roll my eyes and make some comment about whast a ridiculous notion it was and how a little bacteria never hurt anyone.

However, when there is a health risk as major as swine flu I firmly believe that it is irresponsible of people to not take precautions, especially when it's something that is so easily transferred. Just because I don't have it doesn't mean I won't come into contact with it and potentially pass it on to someone who could be seriously affected by it.
  • Options
    sHaKsHaK Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're kidding! A spray version of a gel?

Jesus, next they'll be releasing hair spray as an alternative to hair gel!

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sHaK wrote: »
    You're kidding! A spray version of a gel?

Jesus, next they'll be releasing hair spray as an alternative to hair gel!

:rolleyes:

Hair spray and gel serves a useful purpose. Hand gels and sprays do more harm than good. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    As far as I know alcohol based hand 'sanitising' products work fine against most bacteria, but are not as good against viruses.

Whether the delivery is spray or gel seems to be irrelevant, to me - both should work against bacteria if applied in a sufficient quantity ???

- but viruses may not be so simple - stuff like citric acid & bleach may be more effective - however putting stuff like that on your hands might not be so clear cut, safety wise....
  • Options
    lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    home_alone wrote: »
    As far as I know alcohol based hand 'sanitising' products work fine against most bacteria, but are not as good against viruses.

Whether the delivery is spray or gel seems to be irrelevant, to me - both should work against bacteria if applied in a sufficient quantity ???

- but viruses may not be so simple - stuff like citric acid & bleach may be more effective - however putting stuff like that on your hands might not be so clear cut, safety wise....

I always used to rub my hands with bleach. I worked at a cafe and most days I peeled and sliced or chopped a big sack of onions. The ONLY thing that would get rid of the smell off my hands was bleach. I poured some on a dishcloth rubbed my hands then washed them with hot water and washing up liquid. The smell of bleach didn't last very long either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    home_alone wrote: »

The fact that they don't work very well on viruses makes them even more of a waste of money, since most people only started using them after the swine-flu con last year. :rolleyes:

Also, I don't think this hand spray contains alcohol, though I may be wrong.
  • Options
    KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swine flu is a virus, and therefore an anti-bacterial product will be ineffective at treating the virus.

However, the use of anti-bacterial products will help to eliminate/reduce the likelihood of people succembing to a bacterial infection, which would in turn weaken their immune system, resulting in them either succumbing to the swine flu virus as opposed to fighting it off, or being worse affected to the swine flu virus.

Equally if they are already suffering from swine flu then they could possibly succumb to a bacterial infection as well because they are already weakened; anti-bacterial products will guard against that.

It's not as simple as saying "Swine flu is a virus and so anti-bacterial products are useless against it. It's all a con." because the human body is a complex organism. Just because it may not fight the virus directly doesn't mean it wonts

a) reduce the likelihood of you getting it

B) reduce your suffering if you already have it.