Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 10)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,793
Administrator
Cantona07 wrote: »
But given that you have american owners who aren't that clued up - who decides?

You need a structure. I would say "Buy Downing" but if i knew my budget was suddenly £20m for him i would say "hang on!" and select a better player in that bracket.

So who decides?

Downing at £10m is ok
Carroll at £15m is ok
Henderson at £10m is ok (he will come good)
Adam at a pie, a pint and a taxi to Glasgow is overpriced.

But the point is that the signings weren't too bad other than the price, as daft as that sounds.

At best its a lack of communication?

This thread is a continuation of: Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 9)

Comments

• ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's a definite point that Dalglish shouldn't just be saying, "Go get me X," without considering the price being offered, but it's hard to know how much involvement he had, and he isn't about to tell us:p.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I posted last in the old thread and i saw "DS forum support" as the last post in that and i though "shit what did i say"?!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I posted last in the old thread and i saw "DS forum support" as the last post in that and i though "shit what did i say"?!!

Lol, I was thinking that too, until I saw it was you that posted and realised what happened.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, it's a definite point that Dalglish shouldn't just be saying, "Go get me X," without considering the price being offered, but it's hard to know how much involvement he had, and he isn't about to tell us:p.

My stance is that Kenny should propose players and that someone further up in the chain should consider if the player can be acquired for a fair price. If not, Kenny should be told, alternatives asked for and so on.

To my mind, that should have been Comolli's role if a true "Director of Football" and I can only assume it was given he's been jettisoned.
    Forum Member
    Lol, I was thinking that too, until I saw it was you that posted and realised what happened.

Ive been doing my best lately! All the Wums are washing over me - sort of!

There is always the underlying threat of me calling someone a "****" and it all going pear-shaped though!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    My stance is that Kenny should propose players and that someone further up in the chain should consider if the player can be acquired for a fair price. If not, Kenny should be told, alternatives asked for and so on.

To my mind, that should have been Comolli's role if a true "Director of Football" and I can only assume it was given he's been jettisoned.

I think you read my mind;).
    Ive been doing my best lately! All the Wums are washing over me - sort of!

There is always the underlying threat of me calling someone a "****" and it all going pear-shaped though!! :D

Been there, done that, had the posts removed:D.
    Forum Member
    Been there, done that, had the posts removed:D.

Im dancing in the "one false move and i'll be lucky to post in the 2014 Brazil world cup thread" saloon.

If i happen to still be banned at the time - Englands last 16 exit was really unlucky....:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im dancing in the "one false move and i'll be lucky to post in the 2014 Brazil world cup thread" saloon.

If i happen to still be banned at the time - Englands last 16 exit was really unlucky....:D

Lol, well hopefully you stick around, it's nice to have some intelligent debate.

I've been wondering, if Guardiola would ever consider coming to Liverpool. I definitely think that Dalglish deserves more time, but the owners made no secret of the fact that they'd like a younger manager, and he'd certainly fit the mould after his break..
    Forum Member
    Lol, well hopefully you stick around, it's nice to have some intelligent debate.

I've been wondering, if Guardiola would ever consider coming to Liverpool. I definitely think that Dalglish deserves more time, but the owners made no secret of the fact that they'd like a younger manager, and he'd certainly fit the mould after his break..

He doesn't fit a mould!

He grew up in barca. He trained at barca. He played for barca.

At the end of his career he played in italy for a small amount of time.

I shouldn't even give that its own paragraph. He went back to Barca and coached teams til he got the big job.

That is no preparation whatsoever for coaching any team other than Barca.

If you didn't grow up with learning football through being Dutch, at Barca or Ajax then managing Barca will be a struggle.

None of that lends itself to managing Liverpool. Or any other English team
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't fit a mould!

I shouldn't even give that its own paragraph. He went back to Barca and coached teams til he got the big job.

If you didn't grow up with learning football through being Dutch, at Barca or Ajax then managing Barca will be a struggle.

I dunno, he has the right philosophy in terms of his style. Pass and move has always been the Liverpool way, and I think while he'd be a risk, at some point, we're going to have to take this sort of risk, where we allow someone to try and build something at the club.

Kenny is trying it right now, by going back to Shankly's philosophy of football being about winning things. It's why there was a focus on the cups, which to my mind, made us suffer in the league.

He wants to get a certain mentality in the squad. He's trying to build.

We need a manager who is going to be given time to build something.

I think Guardiola could be potentially good, especially given the way he cared about Barcelona, he'd get sucked into the Liverpool way I think...much like Rafa..
    Forum Member
    Kenny is trying it right now, by going back to Shankly's philosophy of football being about winning things. It's why there was a focus on the cups, which to my mind, made us suffer in the league.

Aside from everything else that is just SOOOO wrong.
  • SlowRapSlowRap Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't fit a mould!

That's just speculation, the fact is he won everything in football with Barcelona there's nothing to say he can't do the same with another team. Of course he won't come to LFC because of our position but that isn't to say that if he did he wouldn't be successful.
    Forum Member
    SlowRap wrote: »
    That's just speculation, .

Not it isn't thats what he has done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with you there, I'd personally swap the carling cup and possibly the FA cup for a place in the top 4. More income, better chance of attracting top players and better overall progress for the club.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not it isn't thats what he has done.

Well he's done it in football, there's nothing to say he can't do the same with other clubs, whether he chooses to or not is debatable the man is Barca through and through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I dunno, if football isn't about winning things, what exactly is it about?

I reckon Sir Alex would agree with the statement.

EDIT: I'm not saying I want us to sacrifice the league for the cups, I want us winning the league, but you have to start somewhere, and the cups are a good building block..
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it someone has noted that Liverpool have two ex Barca coaches at the club and that three of a kind would be cool!?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    I take it someone has noted that Liverpool have two ex Barca coaches at the club and that three of a kind would be cool!?

Well I'm sure Borrell and Segura would hardly object..

That wasn't really my thinking though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hadn't even read the previous posts! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    I hadn't even read the previous posts! :D

Oh, lol! Well fair enough:D.

What are your thoughts on those previous posts then?
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    C07s post on the last page of the previous thread re cost of our transfers?

Yes at this moment a lot (all?) of them look overpriced bad buys but it is easy to be wise after the event and if you remember both Skrtel and Lucas also looked bad buys once so hopefully in time they will turn it round like they have done. Nobody says Lucas and Skrtel are bad buys now.

The only one I thought at the time :eek: about was Carroll - Adam was great for BFC last season and to get him for under 10m in todays climate was good. Downing was player of the season for AV so again to get him seemed as if it may be good - altho yes I would add that he is 27 or so and prior to last season he had been average at best for most of his time in football and he has now returned to that level for us. Henderson I admit I was not overjoyed to get as I had hardly noticed him at SFC and the truth is we did not need anyone in his position but he is young and we were buying potential - if he turns out to be good 16m will seem a bargain. He has been played too much definitely tho. The AC fee was definitely influenced by the FT money - but maybe we should have hung on to that 50m and spent it more wisely.

When all this business was being done last summer tho I was pleased as it seemed we were not delaying deals like Rafa had to in the case of Barry, Simao and Alves when we were so skint and in the end did not get them for the sake of a relatively small amount of money - and all 3 are good players who would definitely have benefited LFC.

As things stand today none of last summers major deals have worked out that well - altho imo none have been totally disastrous which was shown when I posted asking who we should keep and who sell of them when there was no agreement at all.

Personally I would not be upset to see any go but if we kept them all that would not be a problem either - what is needed is good new signings brought in. Striker definitely and some new midfield blood are the priorities - imo not mega bucks superstars either but preferably lesser known lads who'd not cost too much with a good attitude who can play - prob from abroad altho the likes of Hoilett and Dembele from the UK might be OK - my worry with them is they may be like Adam and Downing - did well elsewhere so signed by LFC and then do not perform at the same level for us. Mind you if we bid 8m for a player and his club says no 9m I say just pay the 9m if we are convinced he is the right player for LFC.

It's going to be an interesting summer again I suspect.
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes at this moment a lot (all?) of them look overpriced bad buys but it is easy to be wise after the event and if you remember both Skrtel and Lucas also looked bad buys once so hopefully in time they will turn it round like they have done. Nobody says Lucas and Skrtel are bad buys now.

The only one I thought at the time :eek: about was Carroll - Adam was great for BFC last season and to get him for under 10m in todays climate was good. Downing was player of the season for AV so again to get him seemed as if it may be good - altho yes I would add that he is 27 or so and prior to last season he had been average at best for most of his time in football and he has now returned to that level for us. Henderson I admit I was not overjoyed to get as I had hardly noticed him at SFC and the truth is we did not need anyone in his position but he is young and we were buying potential - if he turns out to be good 16m will seem a bargain. He has been played too much definitely tho. The AC fee was definitely influenced by the FT money - but maybe we should have hung on to that 50m and spent it more wisely.

When all this business was being done last summer tho I was pleased as it seemed we were not delaying deals like Rafa had to in the case of Barry, Simao and Alves when we were so skint and in the end did not get them for the sake of a relatively small amount of money - and all 3 are good players who would definitely have benefited LFC.

As things stand today none of last summers major deals have worked out that well - altho imo none have been totally disastrous which was shown when I posted asking who we should keep and who sell of them when there was no agreement at all.

Personally I would not be upset to see any go but if we kept them all that would not be a problem either - what is needed is good new signings brought in. Striker definitely and some new midfield blood are the priorities - imo not mega bucks superstars either but preferably lesser known lads who'd not cost too much with a good attitude who can play - prob from abroad altho the likes of Hoilett and Dembele from the UK might be OK - my worry with them is they may be like Adam and Downing - did well elsewhere so signed by LFC and then do not perform at the same level for us. Mind you if we bid 8m for a player and his club says no 9m I say just pay the 9m if we are convinced he is the right player for LFC.

It's going to be an interesting summer again I suspect.

I agree with most of you comments AC but in this case I dont

Adam stood out in a poor Blackpool team and when asked to step up he didnt have the quality..pace Etc

Downing was voted player of the season at AV but lets be honest he didnt have much to challenge him for that honour. 09/10 season 25 games and 2 goals...season 10/11..38 games 7 goals..I dont think thats worth £20 million
    Forum Member

I think this is a situation where its not being wise after the event though. I read the forums now and again while i was away and when each signing was made there was a definite feeling of "How much????! :eek:" from a whole lot of Liverpool fans.

Adam was NEVER going to be good enough to play for Liverpool though. He is slow and laborious and yes he looked good at Blackpool when the entire team was set up to go through him and he took every single set piece.

The other guys would each look good in a good side if that makes sense. You could drop any one of Carroll, Downing or Henderson into an already successful team and i think they would be good players. The problem is bringing them all in together and expecting them to CREATE the good side themselves while at the time having to each adjust to the huge step in career of signing for Liverpool. It was always going to be hard.

There is no point try to sell them on though, there is a chance they will come good in a better side so IMO the manager in the summer needs to build a squad up and let these guys fight for their place within it.

If you went to sell Carroll today you would be lucky to get any takers at all. Not because he is a bad player but clubs who would want him wouldn't be able to afford him and of the clubs who could afford him maybe only Spurs would be interested and that would only be if Harry was still in charge which looks unlikely. Again though i think a confident Carroll in a confident side that is creating chances would be an asset.

I also would have had Joe Cole on the first plane back to the UK and probably Aquilani as well. No harm whatsoever in giving them a go and definitively seeing if they could have a future with the club.

Just my opinion though, feel free to tell me to **** off!! :D
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got my tickets through for the match this evening in the away end of Carrow Road. I haven't been to a match in ages so am well excited. Just hope I don't lose my voice from hurling abuse at the Ref & Henderson. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, lol! Well fair enough:D.

What are your thoughts on those previous posts then?

I think Cantona07 is talking nonsense and that can be shown by the Premier Leagues own mini "Pep" - Arsene Wenger - he arrived at "1-0 to the Arsenal" and transformed them using approaches that were still all a bit foreign in 1996. I can see no reason why Pep Guardiola couldn't have a similarly transforming effect on Liverpool if given a fair wind. In fact I would say he would have an excellent chance at the club simply because he would encounter a coaching set up that he is familiar with - it having been modelled at lest in part on Barcas youth set up.

Borrell can stay with the reserves for another season and then guide his best through to the senior squad and become Peps number 2.
This discussion has been closed.