free ebooks for nook

phonefaxphonefax Posts: 474
Forum Member
I have just bought a nook reader for my elderly aunt but as she has limited funds I am trying to find some free romantic novels, I have searched high and low without success any help would be great

Comments

• Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could try project Gutenberg. They have thousands of books available for free download.
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are a load of free books on the Nook UK site, not sure if you've had a look there already? If not, go to the book section of the 'shop', and in the search bit enter '0.00' or 'Free' and they will all come up.

I've just lent my Nook to my dad who's in hospital and added a few free books there that he might like. I gave it to him yesterday afternoon and spoke to him last night and he's getting on well with it I think. Hope your aunt gets much joy out of it OP. :)

ETA: You or your aunt will need a Nook account so you can download the books.
  • phonefaxphonefax Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    jojo01 wrote: »
    There are a load of free books on the Nook UK site, not sure if you've had a look there already? If not, go to the book section of the 'shop', and in the search bit enter '0.00' or 'Free' and they will all come up.

I've just lent my Nook to my dad who's in hospital and added a few free books there that he might like. I gave it to him yesterday afternoon and spoke to him last night and he's getting on well with it I think. Hope your aunt gets much joy out of it OP. :)

ETA: You or your aunt will need a Nook account so you can download the books.

Thank you so much, it worked ,,she will be so very happy.

The one small problem is that there doesn't seem to be a way of selecting romance books, I don't want to sound ungrateful but I am not a book reader and haven't got a clue which are romances for all I know I could be downloading something unsuitable for an elderly person, I would appreciate any more help,,,, many many thanks
    Forum Member
    phonefax wrote: »
    Thank you so much, it worked ,,she will be so very happy.

The one small problem is that there doesn't seem to be a way of selecting romance books, I don't want to sound ungrateful but I am not a book reader and haven't got a clue which are romances for all I know I could be downloading something unsuitable for an elderly person, I would appreciate any more help,,,, many many thanks

The books appear on my laptop in the nook library but I am not sure how I get them onto the nook H......E.....L.....P
    PLEASE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Phonefax

Plug the Nook in to your laptop via the USB cable, and then cick and drag the files from the laptop's Nook Library folder to the Nook within Windows Explorer (assuming you're on a PC!).

I don't think there is a way of selecting a certain genre once you've searched for the free books available (I too find that a bit of a pain). I just had a bit of a play on the site and discovered you can start off by going into the romance category, then in the 'sort by' option select 'price low to high' so the free ones will be at the top.

Also I've just found a site you might find useful called everyonesreading.com and they seem to have free Mills & Boon books there - you just need to write a review on their youtube channel first.

There's another site here where they're offering a free M&B too.

Hope this helps :)
    Forum Member
    Hi Phonefax

Plug the Nook in to your laptop via the USB cable, and then cick and drag the files from the laptop's Nook Library folder to the Nook within Windows Explorer (assuming you're on a PC!).

I don't think there is a way of selecting a certain genre once you've searched for the free books available (I too find that a bit of a pain). I just had a bit of a play on the site and discovered you can start off by going into the romance category, then in the 'sort by' option select 'price low to high' so the free ones will be at the top.

Also I've just found a site you might find useful called everyonesreading.com and they seem to have free Mills & Boon books there - you just need to write a review on their youtube channel first.

There's another site here where they're offering a free M&B too.

Hope this helps :)

What can I say other than thank you so much,,, off to bed now I will try it all out tomorrow,,, god bless you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phonefax wrote: »
    What can I say other than thank you so much,,, off to bed now I will try it all out tomorrow,,, god bless you

No worries, let me know how you get on.

I need to download some more stuff for my dad tonight, I think he's rather enjoying the Nook, I'm starting to wonder if I'll get it back!
  • tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might also be worth trying your local library. Mine offers e-books on it's website that are Nook compatible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good idea Tony, might have to see when my one is open, it's years since I've been :o
    Forum Member
    No worries, let me know how you get on.

I need to download some more stuff for my dad tonight, I think he's rather enjoying the Nook, I'm starting to wonder if I'll get it back!

Hi again,, well I tried my best but then again I am 69 and a little slow on the uptake.... After I had downloaded the books from the Nook site onto my laptop, I expected to see them in my downloaded files but they weren't there the only thing I ha was an email for each of the files. I connected the Nook via usb and tried to drag and drop them but the only thing that went over was a serial number but didn't open.
    When the files "downloaded" it came with a message saying to simply connect your nook to a wifi network to drag and drop you books. I may be completely stupid but I didn't realise I would have to be connected to the internet to move the books to the nook. I was hoping I could download them and put them onto a flash drive then take them to her house to put on her nook. Sorry to sound so pathetic and silly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not pathetic and silly at all, I'm not quite sure how all this stuff works either!

Is your internet at home wifi? I would have assumed that since you're connected to the internet to access DS, that it would download them to your 'downloads' file whether it's a wifi or a wired connection. Have they appeared in your 'downloads' yet?

I've just been doing a bit of googling - apparently there's a way to download the books onto your PC from your library before then loading to the nook (It's called side loading I believe). You'd need to download 'Nook for PC' software and then you can apparently download the books from your library on the Nook site straight to your computer.

Haven't had a chance to test this yet as I'm at work - hopefully someone more technically minded than me will be along to help shortly! If not, I'll look into it a bit more tonight.

P.S. Libraries, McDonald's, Starbucks etc do have wifi networks so you could always pop into one of them with the Nook and hopefully the books will automatically download to it.