Options

Sky Sports 5 - how to activate?

shireshire Posts: 410
Forum Member
It won't allow me to activate via the red button for some reason, it says go to sky.com which I did and there seems to be no way of activating it without taking their broadband. I'm thinking that I don't have to activate it all because I already have the full Sky package? If that is the case they might have made that clear, if it's not then how do I do it and what channel number is it on?

Comments

• Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the obsession with companies requiring you to take their broadband to get freebies?

There are those of us who pay Sky a not inconsiderable sum per month and would expect to get all of Sky's content for that, without having to move their broadband service from a high quality ISP to Sky's consumer level dreck.
  • Options
    lolmillolmil Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Same happened to me, however check your account through the main website or the service app and you may see it listed under your services. I can see it has been activated on my account but never actually seemed to successfully do it's via red button or sky.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I did that and it is indeed in there as being part of the package, no activating needed at all
  • Options
    HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    Others have said it's unnecessary too - the 'activate' nonsense being something to reset the clock to month zero of a new 12 month contract.

Whether that's true or not ........
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heinz wrote: »
    Others have said it's unnecessary too - the 'activate' nonsense being something to reset the clock to month zero of a new 12 month contract.

Whether that's true or not ........

That's not true, it doesn't renew a 12 month contract unless you take the broadband offer, the reason for the activation is to get people to look at the broadband offer.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    What is the obsession with companies requiring you to take their broadband to get freebies?

There are those of us who pay Sky a not inconsiderable sum per month and would expect to get all of Sky's content for that, without having to move their broadband service from a high quality ISP to Sky's consumer level dreck.

You do get all the content you pay for, taking broadband would not get you any extra channels.

What Sky are offering is free broadband to Sky Sports subscribers.
  • Options
    WoborbyWoborby Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    So, it appears many people who did not activate SS5 now hav it as park of their package... so much for "to receive SS5 please activate" advertising
  • Options
    sky0000547sky0000547 Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I didn't activate and receiving Sky Sports 5 now. I never believed 1 minute that I needed to activate in order to receive the channel.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ditto. It was explained on here weeks ago that it was an advertising ploy and you would get it if you anyway if you just resisted the plug.

We did and it appeared on launch.

If only ignoring the stupid shifting of the Sports channel EPG numbers had prevented them from happening on your box.

Another Sky marketing idea dreamed up to suit Sky and not its paying customers. Though at least the Broadband Offer was a good one, but it was surely not necessary to more or less coerce viewers into turning it down as opposed to using their own judgement based on receipt of the information.
  • Options
    BluedayBlueday Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Still have the annoying red button asking me to activate whilst taking in the fifth test today. Really irritating as I have the channel and so would everyone who has a sky sports subscription. Why is this thing still on the screen distracting me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blueday wrote: »
    Still have the annoying red button asking me to activate whilst taking in the fifth test today. Really irritating as I have the channel and so would everyone who has a sky sports subscription. Why is this thing still on the screen distracting me?

Just pause the screen for 2 seconds, then press play again, then the red button will disappear, as it only shows on live tv.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    Pressing the "Backup" button on the remote also clears the red button from the screen
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pressing the "Backup" button on the remote also clears the red button from the screen

It comes back though, usually after an advert, although nothing major, some people don't like it, pressing pause for a few seconds, then play, means it would not come back until you go back to live TV.
  • Options
    DJ RaggyDJ Raggy Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    According to OFCOM's latest broadcast bulletin, the Sky Sports 5 promotion did get the odd complaint - referring to it as "materially misleading".

Suffice it to say, no action was taken
  • Options
    TomM44TomM44 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    I wanted to watch one of the other Champions Leagues games last night and I had to activate SS5 before I could use the red button. A message told me that one option was to go to sky.com/2yearsfree, which I did carefully avoiding activating the 2 years Sky Broadband. I am very happy with my Plusnet broadband.

A few seconds later the signal was sent but I had to rebuild the planner before the red button worked properly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    At half-time in the Everton v Arsenal match.
    They advertised the Wednesday Arsenal v Bestikas match on sky sports 5.

The presenter made a point that it was a guaranteed game and to guarantee watching, you had to ensure sky sports 5 was activated.
    The on screen graphic showed the details of the match and said something like 'To carry on watching sky sports 5... you need to activate'.

So that seems to make the point you have to activate it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've no idea then what it's all about. I've been getting all the stuff up to now without doing any activating and I don't have Sky broadband
  • Options
    Robin ArmitageRobin Armitage Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Its more Sky rubbish ..they should be reported to Ofcom or whoever for such misleading and untrue announcements as an underhand way to sell broadband...>:(
  • Options
    Michael WalshMichael Walsh Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Activation is not required in Ireland, which customer service has said, because the broadband offer is available to us. I would say there is no need to activate it anywhere in my opinion.
  • Options
    GBCULLENGBCULLEN Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a look at activating today and I must admit its a neat trick by sky, this is how it works, you select the activating bit and a screen rolls over, and you can then click on the terms and conditions, it then mentions about bb for 2 years but does not clearly show the terms for sky sports 5 on its own, easy to miss. Then you press proceed with order and another sceen rolls over. It is here you will see another block of T & C's but by now you have assured yourself as you are not getting BB there is no contract extinction, WRONG.

read this

"Tick the box below to confirm you have read and agree to Sky's Terms and Conditions and Sky's Privacy & Cookies Notice, and to confirm that you authorise the implementation of your choices above. Clicking "Pay Now" will submit your order for the Sky products you've chosen and will result in you entering into a contract with Sky if your order is accepted. This confirmation and online validation removes the need for you to sign a contract with Sky. We'll email you to confirm receipt of your order and the next steps. 12 month minimum subscriptions apply to each of your services (except 18 month minimum subscriptions for Sky Fibre Unlimited/Fibre Unlimited Pro + Sky Talk & Line Rental). If you end your contract(s) during the minimum term you will have to pay us an early termination charge. We may charge this to the card you used to pay for your set-up or upfront payment. You agree your services may start during the cooling off period. You may still cancel but you will need to pay for any services used and any costs incurred up to that point. Prices and services may vary. We will let you know about any material changes before we make them. "

I call that neat, very neat and well thought out. Then in 12 months SKY can introduce new pricing for sky sports 5. Also CL goes off next may but SKY get extra months ie june july august. No wonder beckham looks smug in the ad.

I now know why the red button is still there.
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Looks like SS5 is available to all sports subscribers for 2 weeks, hence the activation button on SS5 currently running. Soon if you don't activate it, it'll be deactivated.
  • Options
    GBCULLENGBCULLEN Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes and you are tied to a 12 month contract.
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    GBCULLEN wrote: »
    yes and you are tied to a 12 month contract.

Where's the proof of that if you don't request free broadband?
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its more Sky rubbish ..they should be reported to Ofcom or whoever for such misleading and untrue announcements as an underhand way to sell broadband...>:(
    Totally agree.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's the proof of that if you don't request free broadband?

There isn't. It's a new 12 month only in the event of you taking free broadband.