Options

Educating the East End

ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Playground high jinks, inspirational lessons and life changing friendships and events from Frederick Bremer school in East London (Walthamstow to be precise so not exactly the East end but that's another discussion).

Who will be watching?

9:00 tonight on channel 4. Teasers here: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/educating-the-east-end

Comments

• Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ali1234 wrote: »
    Playground high jinks, inspirational lessons and life changing friendships and events from Frederick Bremer school in East London (Walthamstow to be precise so not exactly the East end but that's another discussion).

Who will be watching?

9:00 tonight on channel 4. Teasers here: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/educating-the-east-end

Isn't it a fairly "new" school in the borough
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Isn't it a fairly "new" school in the borough

Yeah it's one of the newest schools in Waltham Forest (September 2008) and the head teacher is right about no one really knowing about it as it's so new and it's just "tucked behind a home base" as she said. There is no view of it from the road.
    It replaces a boys school and a small coed school that is quite a way away from Frederick Bremer. What was the boys school is just up the road from Frederick Bremer though and it's now used as the junior part of a primary school. There is only one boys school in the borough now.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging by the trailers the school seems extremely top heavy with the ethnic types.

Surely It must have been possible for C4 to find a school that correctly mirrored the racial diversity of the country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Judging by the trailers the school seems extremely top heavy with the ethnic types.

Surely It must have been possible for C4 to find a school that correctly mirrored the racial diversity of the country.

First off, what do you mean by "ethnic types"? I thought we stopped using "Ethnic" as a word to describe people who aren't white but I guess not. But in case you didn't know, white people have an ethnicity so technically they're ethnic too - yes, I know, shocking isn't it? And then you followed up with the word "types". The term "ethnic types" sounds a bit ... :confused: but maybe if you clarified that I could get a better understanding.

Why is it important that C4 finds a school that "correctly mirrors" the racial diversity of the country? The school "correctly mirrors" the racial diversity of East London - well Walthamstow anyway. Other schools in the area perhaps don't, e.g. There's a catholic school nearby which has few Pakistani, Turkish and Algerian people because generally they're not Christian or catholic, so Frederick Bremer is a good choice if C4 wish to "correctly mirror" Waltham Forest/Walthamstow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Half an hour reminder!
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,157
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »

The "Eastenders Standard" I presume?
  • Options
    Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its starting :D I hope its good, I loved the last two series.
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening all - didn't watch previous series consistently but looking forward to this.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HI all - here we go...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah- the NQT...
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder what sort of characters we will have in this series :D I hope there's an East End equivalent of Bailey :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Ah- the NQT...
    With year 9s poor guy! I tried PGCE but didn't get through it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keishaaaa... leader of the chavettes...
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Already I'm shocked that Mr Bispham allows kids to talk over him, answer back and make personal comments about him.

Aren't teachers taught how to control a class anymore?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stage school girl - she'll be insufferable..
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Evening, give this a try.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "It's not gonna affect no learnin'":D
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Already I'm shocked that Mr Bispham allows kids to talk over him, answer back and make personal comments about him.

It seems they can't... No wonder some kids turn out unruly, they also make it harder for the kids that want to get on.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

With the route he's taken he actually gets very little training full stop. It's mostly learning on the job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed why are they allowed to make personal comments about him and he doesn't say a thing? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yet these kids will happily spin up Baz Luhrman's R&J...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will stab you in your penis :o there's angry and then there's pyscho :D
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Silly brats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr B hasn't got a clue. I feel sorry for some of the kids in his class. I wouldn't be able to learn with that racket going on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lesson observation - gulp....