Sky package costs

ZogZog Posts: 551
Forum Member
✭✭
My Mum's friend was quite impressed when she showed him the record/planner facility on her humax freeview box and I was amazed when he said hew couldn't do that on his sky box.

I bobbed over and his box was prehistoric so I suggested he get in touch with sky and sort out an upgrade. Shouldn't be a problem as he has been on a £55/month contract for years. He enjoys his football.

So he gets it all sorted and treats himself to a new TV while he is at.

After the install I go over to help him sort out the tele as he also wants to use the old plasma in the bedroom.

Two things immediately puzzle me.

1/ He has HD on every channel APART from the Sky Sports.

2/ Unlike my box there doesn't appear to be the option for a second output via an RF socket to the second screen. Has this been removed from boxes to force sell multiroom ?

The install was free and he is still paying £55/month plus £5/month for HD that isn't on all the channels.

Does this all sound right ? Or has he been slightly mis-sold something here? I know he could probably have haggled for a better deal, but that's not what I'm asking. I just find it odd that he could be paying such a premium monthly sub., with an extra on top, yet still not get HD Sky Sports.

Comments

• davebav50davebav50 Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The latest Sky+ boxes have built in wifi to connect to your router for catch up and on demand, but don't have any rf aerial in or out coax connections. You can buy an RF modulator on eBay for 20 pounds or so that will convert the phono outputs on the sky box to an aerial feed for another room, you can change channels with an app on your smartphone or buy an infrared extender.
    Hd costs app 5 pounds extra on top of family pack for the sports channels.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    Or he can buy one of these from Sky (or elsewhere), which will give back exactly what he had before, and it will work with an existing magic eye setup.
    The installer should actually have given him one if he was already using the magic eye system to feed a remote TV. It might be worth him ringing Sky and explaining that he's lost a facility that he was already using, and they might send him one for free.
    :)
  • ZogZog Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Or he can buy one of these from Sky (or elsewhere), which will give back exactly what he had before, and it will work with an existing magic eye setup.
    :)

cheers for that..... great tip.
  • ep1987ep1987 Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky Sports in HD is an extra £5.25pm.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ep1987 wrote: »
    Sky Sports in HD is an extra £5.25pm.

The OP already said they were paying extra for the HD (they said £5, but presume they meant £5.25), so they should have the Sports channels in HD.

I expect they have Family pack (which includes HD for the channels with HD on Variety), Sky Sports pack and the HD addon for Sports/Movies.

Contact Sky and ask why they have not been enabled.
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP already said they were paying extra for the HD (they said £5, but presume they meant £5.25), so they should have the Sports channels in HD.

I expect they have Family pack (which includes HD for the channels with HD on Variety), Sky Sports pack and the HD addon for Sports/Movies.

Contact Sky and ask why they have not been enabled.

IIRC you need to pay the full HD sub (£11.50) to get Sky Sports in HD.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon194 wrote: »

Its not one sub anymore though, its two!
    There is three basic channel packs (not sure about prices now as they have changed recently)
    Original the lowest pack
    Variety with added documentary channels, kids channels, music channels ect
    Family same channels as Variety but with a lot of channels in HD too, along with access to boxsets on demand.

The premium channels, aka sports and movies, can be added in SD with any of the 3 Original, Variety and Family packs, but to get sports and or movies in HD requires: the family pack, sports and or movies and the premium HD pack.

So the OP upgraded from an SD box upgraded the sub from Variety to Family (adding £5 to the bill) keept the sports but will need the premium HD pack for access to sports in HD. OP that was an extra £5.25 the last time I checked it might have gone up I don't know. Yes it sucks having to pay for HD in two different ways, but its for different HD items entertainment HD (in the form of the Family pack) and sports in HD (in the form of the premium HD pack)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon194 wrote: »

No, there is only 1 HD sub now, at £5.25, and to get it you must have the Family Bundle and Sports and/or Movies.

The OP talks about paying £5 more for the HD channels, but that may be they are paying £5 more for the Family Pack, or they have the Family Pack and are paying £5.25 for the HD pack.

Unfortunately, their prices don't quite add up to see, so maybe they are on a deal.

Family with Sports is £57.50.
    Family with Sports & HD is £62.75

They say they are paying £55+£5.

Variety with Sports is £52.50

So, if they are paying £60, i would say they are on Family with Sports & HD, at a discount, or the OP has the prices wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Yes it sucks having to pay for HD in two different ways, but its for different HD items entertainment HD (in the form of the Family pack) and sports in HD (in the form of the premium HD pack)

Why does it suck?

It means people without Sports and/or Movies pay less for HD (previously they paid the same), and anyone with them pay what they always paid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does it suck?

It means people without Sports and/or Movies pay less for HD (previously they paid the same), and anyone with them pay what they always paid.

I meant for people who want sports and or movies in HD its alright for the rest of us that don't, that's me included as I have no interest in Sky's sports or movies offing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I meant for people who want sports and or movies in HD its alright for the rest of us that don't, that's me included as I have no interest in Sky's sports or movies offing.

Still don't understand why it sucks? They are still paying the same they used to, whereas people without now don't have to pay the higher price.

They could have left it as it was, and you would be paying £5.25 more than you do now, and not getting Sports and/or movies in HD.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still don't understand why it sucks? They are still paying the same they used to, whereas people without now don't have to pay the higher price.

They could have left it as it was, and you would be paying £5.25 more than you do now, and not getting Sports and/or movies in HD.

The price increased by ~£6pm for those who previously only had Entertainment + Sports/Movies + HD Pack.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    The price increased by ~£6pm for those who previously only had Entertainment + Sports/Movies + HD Pack.

That's true its a case of what packs you want or don't want, sky have made it better for those people, like myself, who aren't interested in premium channels HD or otherwise, but it used to be the other way round, unless you want everything and in HD then it makes no difference.