Options

EE . The Continuing Slaughter Of The Soap

Comments

• Options
    EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, I do. And I stand by the view that there are more weak performers in EE than in some other soaps. Probably a reflection on a weak director and tired script writers and storyliners.

Well who are the weak performers? I think Eastenders actors and actresses are much better than Coronation Street actors and actresses. Eastenders actors and actresses ate much better than Anthony Cotton and the man who plays Dev. Eastenders has Jake wood, Jo Joyner, Ann Mitchell, Steve McFadden, Steve John Shepherd, Lorna Fitzgerald, Danielle Harold, Lindsey Coulson, Jamie Borthwick, Diane Parish, Rudoplh Walker, Adam Woodyatt, Linda Henry, Jessie Wallace and Shane Richie and Jacqueline Jossa and Nina Wadia
  • Options
    DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too much shouting and not particularly pleasant viewing on a Friday Night.

EE has never been particularly renowned for being "pleasant" viewing, has it?

As for shouting, maybe you have the volume turned up too loud?
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are a fool. Just because someone thinks it's entertaining to them at the moment, would not mean they were a young viewer - as if they wouldn't appreciate the heritage of the soap because of their age and lack of maturity. Think before you speak.

And it's "offense".

Actually, in the U.K., the noun is spelt 'offence' - or are you from the U.S.? Both spellings might mean the same thing in broad terms, but (as an English teacher) we would never approve the 's' version in something written by an English student - it would be marked wrong.

Don't let website spell-checkers fool you - many (even apparently U.K.-based) websites will underline words like 'offence' with a 'c' in red an imply the spelling is incorrect, but that is only because the website has its origins in the U.S. and no one has bothered to change the base code (or whatever the technical term is for such things) to allow for the differences in language. The trouble is, too many people are not confident enough to challenge the dreaded red line spell-checker and assume that they must go with the U.S. spelling to be correct.

But 'offence' is correct in the U.K. - as is the noun 'defence', although DS, even now, is underlining 'defence' as being incorrect as I type! DS, it seems, doesn't really seem to know whether it's following U.K. or U.S. rules, even though it's the .co.uk version of the website!

The only time you'd chance the 'c' to an 's' is when you want to use the words as 'offensive' or 'defensive'.

As for 'advice/advise' and 'practice/practise' (two other frequent mistakes spotted on here) that's a different conversation for another day!
  • Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    No, I am watching EE for sure. :) tis the best soap on TV, imo, the other soaps don't even come close.

Part of being fan of a show is admitting it has faults something you never do.

The characters go round in circles like Max for example cheating on Tanya and Bianca always having money worries.

The show has lost its identity and going the same way as Brookside did something needs to be done.
  • Options
    dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's improved steadily since September. So I'm happy.

And the whole good actors vs bad actors debate. Eastenders definitely having a stronger cast. Shame the writing lets them down at times but I can't stand Corrie because of it's ham acting. Only Jane Danson and Alison King stand out for me while the list of awful actors is pretty extensive.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The characters go round in circles like Max for example cheating on Tanya and Bianca always having money worries.

The show has lost its identity and going the same way as Brookside did something needs to be done.

I think the acting's great and that's all I'm bothered about. I never tire of watching it.
  • Options
    nigel12nigel12 Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are two good things I've noticed so far this year. The castings acting talent has improved substantially - Kirsty/Ava/Dexter/Ayesha already look like they can act Oscar performances compared to Tyler/Joey/Alice/Lucy and the recent episodes have shown the humour, heart and new friendships Eastenders needs with some much better written and tone of episodes, farless centered around teenagers.

Yes the show still has a lot of problems,the spoilers sound pretty dull, there sounds no mention of any gripping plots apart from love stories and the Lola/lexi storyline just needs ending now but at least the "non-event" episodes are more enjoyable than most from last year.

I just don't get why Lorraine is taking so long to get her vision. I know she needs to look after morale but really she should have dropped half of BKs stories/team from day one!
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Great post, jerseyporter!
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been going downhill ever since 2003/2004 when the 4 episodes a week finally took their toll on the production. It's been very hit and miss since then with the consistency being all over the place. The budget being so tight won't have helped things but I still think you can make something great from something small. Do we really need the annual stunt of the year? Kate Harwood took a sledgehammer to EastEnders when she was EP and it stll hasn't recovered. From 2006 onwards it's been at its worst with the last couple of years being the absolute pits. What's sad is they stll manage to pull a great episode out of the bag that shows just how great EastEnders can be. But it's a rarity these days and instead we're stuck with filler and the same characters doing the same things over and over. It's like a balloon that's been popped.

Agree 100% with this.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bellamina wrote: »
    This used to be the best soap on the box, now it is dire, pointless and boring, it will go the way of Brookside if it doesn't get its act together.

M8 either your not watching the shows or are just talking crap. The show is now starting to get really good and if you don't believe me look on some of the other threads you wil find a few people starting to enjoy the show more. So I would so either watch the show or if you really believe what you say then just don't watch it simple
  • Options
    LiamBerryTea ~LiamBerryTea ~ Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe her storylines start on Monday 1st April :)

Isn't that April Foolsday lol :L
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They seriously need to stop all the love triangle rubbish.

It's like they can only think about relationships in terms of affairs. Is there a single marriage or relationship that hasn't had an affair?

They need to bring in more diverse characters too. I've always said they need a Chinese family and more disabled characters.

Then they also need to have some fun story lines, not doom and gloom all the time.
  • Options
    LiamBerryTea ~LiamBerryTea ~ Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still better than the ITV rubbish and hospital nonsense on BBC1.

So true

EE is so desperate they are even resurrecting Dot. Not just scraping the barrel but turning it inside out.

Eastenders appreciate their loyal, older characters.. Other soaps are all for bad actors, pretty face characters.. With no older generation interaction which is disgusting
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes it feels as if there are only 5 or 6 basic stories and they are endlessly recycled with different people. Couple meet, date, marry. Married person meets member of opposite sex, marriage breaks up. Phil commits major crime. Long lost relative turns up. Vic burns down. Unpopular character killed, too many suspects. Family argue. Woman snatches baby.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must be watching the show on some other channel, for sure.

Of all the soaps, EE seems to have collected more wooden actors than the average chess set.

Haven't you noticed that some of the characters have only two styles, shout at the top of their voice, or whisper inaudibly. 'Max' is a good, (or rather bad) example of that.

Probably the only really bad actor elsewhere is 'Deirdre' on Corrie, although that strange male nurse on Holby comes a close second.

Eastenders has the worst actors and the only really bad one from Corrie is Deirdre? I beg to differ. :D

Deirdre's nowhere near the bottom. But regardless Sean, Tracy, Tyrone, Fix, Chesney, Kirk, Rob, Sunita, Karl, Dev, Ken, Jenna, Mandy, Sophie, Ryan are all woeful.
    Eastenders appreciate their loyal, older characters.. Other soaps are all for bad actors, pretty face characters.. With no older generation interaction which is disgusting

Apart from Dot who else is a loyal older character?

Corrie has much more of an older generation with much more interaction than you would see in Eastenders.
    Rita, Emily, Dennis, Roy, Audrey, Norris.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I think EE needs to focus on character development and consistentcy of episodes. EE has been bad for a while with occasional good episodes. I believe that EE still has some spark left but have to think of a good strategy to make this show good again and fast!

Characters are very much all over the place with little to no development, Relationships are forced (e.g. Jack and Sharon, Alfie and Roxy.) They need to focus on strong characters like Michael, Cora, Ray and denise and not Sharon and Tyler.

Episodes need to be interlinked together. Storylines are just rehased affairs and love triangle. EE come up with something more original it's a case of I don't care anymore. EE needs a new writing team as well as a new vision.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    EE appears to have improved a little bit over the last couple of weeks, but work still needs to be done. The teens whilst important to the show, need to be more engaging. There is more to teen life than Tyler and Whitney (though they havent been on screen much recently).

I think that the producers and writers need to get into the vault of EE tapes, and watch some from the 80s and 90s as they may see that the show can do things other than love triangles and who is the daddy (yes I know that some of those storylines were used back then). Less sensational and more gritty drama is needed - domestic abuse, HIV, rape, teen suicide and doing more of the unexpected with less spoilers on the web. Imagine the reaction if we hadnt known that Heather was going to be murdered. or that the actress was leaving. The producers appear to want the promotion with "X is leaving with a suitably explosive exit" which takes away some of the surprise and usually the exit is rather mundane.

The big stunts can work occasionally but having one a year just takes the edge off each one. Brookside went down this route and look what happened there. The key is to give the viewer something to tune into without them knowing what is coming, with good old fashioned storytelling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member

Your BIB1 is perfectly true but then you ruin your point by the nonsense you wrote in BIB3. It is not 'going the same way as Brookside' - Brookside slipped into sensationalist hell and quite frankly became the darkest, grimmest thing on telly. And unlike EE, Brooside's ratings collapsed and never recovered. EastEnders is not in that state.
    They seriously need to stop all the love triangle rubbish.

It's like they can only think about relationships in terms of affairs. Is there a single marriage or relationship that hasn't had an affair?

They need to bring in more diverse characters too. I've always said they need a Chinese family and more disabled characters.

Then they also need to have some fun story lines, not doom and gloom all the time.

Absolutely spot on. It has all becoime very monochrome and detached from reality.

That is so untrue it's laughable.
    samwalk wrote: »
    Sometimes it feels as if there are only 5 or 6 basic stories and they are endlessly recycled with different people. Couple meet, date, marry. Married person meets member of opposite sex, marriage breaks up. Phil commits major crime. Long lost relative turns up. Vic burns down. Unpopular character killed, too many suspects. Family argue. Woman snatches baby.

:D Just :D
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Eastenders has the worst actors and the only really bad one from Corrie is Deirdre? I beg to differ. :D

Deirdre's nowhere near the bottom. But regardless Sean, Tracy, Tyrone, Fiz, Chesney, Kirk, Rob, Sunita, Karl, Dev, Ken, Jenna, Mandy, Sophie, Ryan are all woeful.

None of the ones bolded are 'woeful'. Some may be stronger or weaker than others but none of the bolded ones are 'woeful'.
    I think EE needs to focus on character development and consistentcy of episodes. EE has been bad for a while with occasional good episodes. I believe that EE still has some spark left but have to think of a good strategy to make this show good again and fast!

Characters are very much all over the place with little to no development, Relationships are forced (e.g. Jack and Sharon, Alfie and Roxy.) They need to focus on strong characters like Michael, Cora, Ray and Denise and not Sharon and Tyler.

Episodes need to be interlinked together. Storylines are just rehased affairs and love triangle. EE come up with something more original it's a case of I don't care anymore. EE needs a new writing team as well as a new vision.

Perfectly put! :D
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Brookside went all OTT with Disaster after Disaster after Disaster not to mention it's figures falling below 3million on a regular basis.

Yeah since Xmas Eve figures have been at the high end of the 8's/mid 9's peaking at 10million and of course 11million officials on xmas day.

From 1998 to 2003, Brookside only had three so called ''disasters''. 1998 - the gas explosion, 1999 - the club bomb attack and 2002 the helicoptor crash.

You seem to be confusing Brookside with Emmerdale. They had several big disasters one after the other for a lengthy period in the mid 00s. Even EE has probably had more disasters than Brookisde ever did.

Also to correct you on Brookside's viewing figures. The only reason they dropped, it never used to get that high a rating anyway, was because Channel Four moved it around so much. The truth is, Brookside was dropped because Big Brother became a bigger success for prime time Channel Four. They put all they eggs into that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brookside must have cost a fortune to make, with a large cast, purpose built set and 7 day filming. It's difficult to see Channel 4 being able to afford anything similar in the current climate.

EE often feels as is if it is written by a committee of middle-age middle-class media studies lecturers who have never been anywhere as common as London but have read about it in The Mail and The Express, and they seem to write by numbers.

Hopefully it will be a long time before the East London Tube derails and crashes into the chippie, colliding with the jet from East London Airport making an emergency landing in the square.
  • Options
    Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lilirose wrote: »
    I have stopped watching it for a while now, but I have kept up with spoilers from time to time.
    I think the writing is really dire.

Another affair for Max, really? How many times are they going to rehash this same plot over and over again? Or Jack sleeping with another blonde Mitchell/ex Mitchell?
    How many love triangles are they going on at the moment?

It is pathetic.

I thought I hadn't seen you figure on the mainstream topic threads for a while re EE! :) Anyway you're not missing much like you guessed, the spoilers probably tell you all you need to know.

The Christmas just gone was a slight improvement on the Yusef/Zainab/Mas triangle business the Christmas before (Derek's death and all that lead up to it, plus Kirsty's introduction, etc) but it has gone back to being dire again this side of the New Year unfortunately....with Denise/Kim/Ray love triangle being the latest love tedium, Ava coming out of nowhere (I'd totally forgotten about her within a fortnight of her absence until she reappeared last week!!), with her son tracking down the Brannings clan. Throw in Kat and Alfie looking dead certs to reunite (once again x5!!), then things can only get better once again I'm afraid, even though January is traditionally a slack time. The trouble is this is the time of the year when most tune in (if they're going to at all) due to the winter evenings making TV viewing more appealing than if the weather was summer like outside......
  • Options
    scotty22scotty22 Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it needs grant back and whoever wrote the story lines back then.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bellamina wrote: »
    This used to be the best soap on the box, now it is dire, pointless and boring, it will go the way of Brookside if it doesn't get its act together.

All soaps have peaks and troughs, EastEnders is showing signs of improvement since the reveal of Derek as Kat's lover. I think it's much better now than at any point last year before December.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    All soaps have peaks and troughs, EastEnders is showing signs of improvement since the reveal of Derek as Kat's lover. I think it's much better now than at any point last year before December.

Except they have now brought Dot back, who is, being charitable, hardly a little ray of sunshine.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except they have now brought Dot back, who is, being charitable, hardly a little ray of sunshine.

True but she did have me laughing last night. That's another thing I've noticed about the programme, it's funnier now. Genuinely funny.