James Arthur new album now streaming on iTunes

13»

Comments

• my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    You seem to mean the spark of a lasting talent within a very thin, sales-obsessed definition of success.

Joe McElderry and Matt Cardle are both still making music which their fans would also see as a demonstration of their talent. Talent is not defined by success. There are a lot of extremely talented people out there who do not have the Syco-financed resources to reach their potential.

you do seem to be replying to the voices in your own head:)

No, talent isn't defined by sales (which nobody said) but it's not defined by releasing album after album either. A person could make music all their life but it wouldn't prove their talent....their work might even be used in a court of law as proof that they never had any:p
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im gunna get so much grief for this but I mean it as a good thing.

Listening to this album reminds me of will youngs first proper albums keep on and fridays child( 1 with his own writing). This is a major compliment from me. The writing is just very good.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you do seem to be replying to the voices in your own head:)

No, talent isn't defined by sales (which nobody said) but it's not defined by releasing album after album either. A person could make music all their life but it wouldn't prove their talent....it might even be used in a court of law as proof that they never had any:p

Yes, people have said that about me before! But I am still very curious for someone to answer my question of what defines James's talent as being superior to that of the previous male winners? When I talked about sales and success it's because that seems to be the criteria that people on here measure talent on, but if you take that away I don't see what it is about James or this album that is so drastically different to anything the other male winners were capable of producing with the right backing.

And no, I'm not a fan of any of the other male winners post-XF, I just think that a few of them had bags of talent which was never properly utilised in the first album the way that James's seemed to be.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    Yes, people have said that about me before! But I am still very curious for someone to answer my question of what defines James's talent as being superior to that of the previous male winners? When I talked about sales and success it's because that seems to be the criteria that people on here measure talent on, but if you take that away I don't see what it is about James or this album that is so drastically different to anything the other male winners were capable of producing with the right backing.

And no, I'm not a fan of any of the other male winners post-XF, I just think that a few of them had bags of talent which was never properly utilised in the first album the way that James's seemed to be.

well i can't answer the question as iv'e not heard any of the albums by any of them, and it's doubtful i ever will. But what you've said gets close to it. James Arthur seems to know what he's about. Joe Mc is all over the place in search of a home and Cardle allowed himself to have that Barlow song thrust on him when he was old enough to know better;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    DS have reviewed the album and given it 4 stars, very positive stuff!
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Im gunna get so much grief for this but I mean it as a good thing.

Listening to this album reminds me of will youngs first proper albums keep on and fridays child( 1 with his own writing). This is a major compliment from me. The writing is just very good.

No grief here :) I do actually agree with you :cool:
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well i can't answer the question as iv'e not heard any of the albums by any of them, and it's doubtful i ever will. But what you've said gets close to it. James Arthur seems to know what he's about. Joe Mc is all over the place in search of a home and Cardle allowed himself to have that Barlow song thrust on him when he was old enough to know better;)

Thanks for the response. :) I'm not entirely convinced it's James himself that has this very clear insight into his career. His label have paid for one of the most popular producers in the UK to work with him on the album, got one of the biggest stars in the UK to duet with him, and are aggressively marketing him as a real and authentic talent. I noticed in a recent interview, James talked about 'sending through' You're Nobody Until Somebody Loves You to his label as if it was just something he came up with in his bedroom, when the actual fact was it took several other co-writers to help him with it. He's also talked about his 'self-penned' album on Twitter, despite all of those co-writers. It's a clever marketing strategy but it doesn't feel genuine to me.

Joe McElderry and Matt Cardle never got that kind of treatment. They were pretty much left to sink or swim with their debut albums. I don't deny James has talent, but is it brighter and more promising than any of the other male winners, or have Syco finally learnt from their mistakes and figured out how to do it effectively this time? They certainly haven't spared any expense with this album so of course are wanting to prevent any losses.

Also, Ridolfo, I owe you an apology. My posts last night came across as a bit rude and ill-worded and I can see why you thought I was trying to derail the thread. I wasn't, I just wasn't explaining myself very well, but I do think we should be able to talk about things in a less than positive way it's related to James and the album.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No grief here :) I do actually agree with you :cool:

Glad you agree.

Its just a very good attempt. Shows his talent is only just being scraped at the minute, he will get better with each album, just like will
  • CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    The problem I have when someone is both odious in personality and not appealing to look at is I would struggle to connect to their songs or listen to them singing about love if the person singing physically repulses me.
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DS have reviewed the album and given it 4 stars, very positive stuff!

Wow! That's good.:)
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CreamPuff wrote: »
    The problem I have when someone is both odious in personality and not appealing to look at is I would struggle to connect to their songs or listen to them singing about love if the person singing physically repulses me.

I'm guessing you would describe yourself as... what's the word?...vain?:o
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    Next week's chart run will be interesting. At the moment it looks as though it's likely Eminem will deny James the No 1 album spot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    rattie wrote: »
    Next week's chart run will be interesting. At the moment it looks as though it's likely Eminem will deny James the No 1 album spot.

Yeah probably, although no shame in being beaten by a megastar like Eminem, if that is the case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah probably, although no shame in being beaten by a megastar like Eminem, if that is the case.

I think I heard James once say that anything by Eminem is brilliant, so I think he will be ok with his album for company.
  • AMS13AMS13 Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    Really is that necessary. Great music is subjective, what's great for you is definitely not the same for everyone else.

Well said and that is the beauty of personal choice and the freedom it provides.
  • Maxine_RochMaxine_Roch Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    Yeah I think James will be number 2 behind Eminem but there is no shame in that at all . His album is really good and will probably stand a chance of getting number 1 when James eventually performs on X Factor Live shows .
  • Maxine_RochMaxine_Roch Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    The Album is currentley at Number 1 on iTunes good for him the album is very good ! :D
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Album is currentley at Number 1 on iTunes good for him the album is very good ! :D

good news!! :D
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    I think he has a good chance of getting the No 1 and beating Eminem tbh. I don't like the album, I find that sort of music very dull but it appeals to people who like very different music to me.

It looks to be selling extremely well and he has had massive promo to support it.

Still only No 7 on Amazon, Andre Rieu is No 1 :eek: and Eminem is placed higher than James as well. It will be an interesting and probably close battle at a guess.
  • 4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    Wow I'm pleased but shocked its at number 1 already :D I hope he can get there officially !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm, I wonder to give his album a try. I thought his impossible was great. His new single is OK.
    The only reason holding me back is that I feel like his attitude kinda stinks. Oh well, he can't please everyone.
  • 4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    Chem wrote: »
    Hmmmm, I wonder to give his album a try. I thought his impossible was great. His new single is OK.
    The only reason holding me back is that I feel like his attitude kinda stinks. Oh well, he can't please everyone.
    You should give it a listen it's very good :)
  • Ronell_DavisRonell_Davis Posts: 4,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad he's at number 1 on iTunes the Album is very good probably one of this X Factor contestants albums that I've heard I hope he can fight of Eminem who is releasing tomorrow but I think it will be close .
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Chem wrote: »

I have said it before - the guy is a tosser and I grudge the idea of giving him money. But, the album is worth it.