The Royal Variety Performance, ITV&HD 7.30pm, 9 Dec

Comments

• spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Bloody credits squeeze. I wanted to see who narrated it >:( Sounded like the man from Downton.

yup it was Jim Carter :)
  • TanequilTanequil Posts: 366,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no Barlow fan but the whole show seems to have been played in reverse.

It was quite odd even at the height of their so called fame they wasn't considered good enough to be asked on to the show. Yet now here they was not seen for 30 years the closing act.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Ive just realised after all these years I have noclue which one is chas and which one is dave :o
    I think Chaz is the piano player :blush:

Yep he is.

They both play the banjo as well.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    spookyLX wrote: »
    yup it was Jim Carter :)

Thank you :)
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Really good show this year. EVen the singers i'd never heard of i liked a lot.
    Some of the comics were lame as usual but the rest of the show was really good.
    Shame not much of Dame Edna. Thought she would be the main act, not rubbishy chas n dave!
  • Dream_catcherDream_catcher Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed the show. Saw it from the start but broke away for half an hour to watch Easties but all the acts I saw I enjoyed them. Loved Robbie and Olly, Attraction and Caro Emerald who I have never heard of before she was really good. Prince Charles and Camilla looked like they were enjoying the show as well.
    I wish there were more shows on like this. It's a good platform for acts like Attraction who we don't get to see.
    Reading a comment about BGT. I don't like the X Factor much but I still enjoy BGT. I like the variety.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Well, I've been watching the Royal Variety Performance Show for many years and I have to say that this is one of the most awful ones ever. John Bishop is a comedian - not a host. The acts were second rate - Jimmy Carr desperate and unfunny, the Andrew Lloyd Webber advert for the Stephen Ward play cringe worthy. The only 'star' was Dame Edna Everage.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DuckSeason wrote: »
    She's pregnant. Announced it a couple of months ago.

EDIT: Sounding a bit like her PR now, but I think some of you slagging her off didn't really see her at her best. She has much better songs and does cracking live shows.

You should have seen her live she was brilliant.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tanequil wrote: »
    Jimmy Carr is quite amusing.

I thought he was just embarrassing
  • MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a poor cast

Who chooses the acts ?
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed it. I missed moaning along on here though, as I was late and had to watch on +1.

Didn't like Jimmy Carr, he's unfunny and cringeworthy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Watched the show, quite enjoyed it. Thought John Newman was brilliant.
  • LabLab Posts: 2,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep he is.

They both play the banjo as well.

Both played on Eminem's "My Name Is" too. Well, sampled...
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    please let me know when the comedians come on
    Hence the '''''
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    this girl can't sing!
    They showed a clip on Norton and she couldn't dance either.
    Should have done a "How do you solve a problem like Ms Keeler " competition.
    Everyone has sounded average I've seen tonight.
    She needed a more forgiving dress.
    Chas n Dave the ultimate pub singers.
    I have never understood why people use the expression average when describing singers
    Bloody credits squeeze. I wanted to see who narrated it >:( Sounded like the man from Downton.

Jim Carter. great voice, great gravitas
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2013 and Chas n Dave headline.

Jesus Christ
  • EsclarmondeEsclarmonde Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Don't get the love for Mr. Carr. Please enlighten me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Chas and Dave? Really? Is that the best they could come up with? Or perhaps the producers actually thought that was a good booking to end the show? It's hardly like the olden days is it when the headline act would be a major international star? Embarrassing!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Whoever thought that was a good idea should be sacked...as well as whoever agreed with them and let them do it!
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Humour is subjective you cant help what makes you laugh and you cant explain why it does , any more than you can explain why one piece of music moves you when another doesn't, or one picture appeals to you while another leaves you cold
  • MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was good. He didn't try & be clever, just a lot of good gags which the audience enjoyed.
    Clip> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75f9QnfbGGw&feature=youtu.be
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its call the royal variety show, where was the variety, every other act was a singer and not a good singer at that, I haven't heard of any of the so called comedians, who puts these acts together ?.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the acts are contacted a year (or more) in advance as to weather they are available at a certain date to perform for nothing- a lot will of course be unavailable, they then get the "Best" of whats left.
  • ukbadgeukbadge Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Just wondering how much of the show is edited in such a way to show the audience 'laughing' at the comics, when in fact they were laughing at something else.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Jimmy Carr - what's with that stupid put-on laugh?
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimmy Carr - what's with that stupid put-on laugh?

I cannot bear the look of him - he has the charm of a carbuncle and the appearance of a graverobber from the 18th century...