James Franco was brilliant in this and it was sad when he cut he's arm of :(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    it was ok just to watch first time..i wont watch it again though
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there's a thread for it in the tv section as well.

I like it but I don't think it's sad, quite the opposite actually.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it. Cracking film. Utterly gruesome.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a very good film :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really rate this film and I don't think Danny Boyle or James Franco got enough recognition for it.

All the coverage at the time of the cinema release was about THAT scene and how people were fainting and throwing up, but the reality is that it's a very small part of the film.

It's pretty intense and emotional. I was really quite choked up when he finally managed to shout for help and when the helicopter came.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read the book of this true story - really good - also excellent film.

Have been in a few situations - obviously not as dire - where I've done same stuff: utilising the resources I had, trying to keep my spirits up, having a goal and visualising it - also because of lack of a few nights sleep hallucinated as well. I marked the time off too - 'I'll just get to midnight, then 3 am, then when daylight came it lifted my spirits.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    I saw it at the cinema and found I had the same problem with it as a lot of 'true story' films. Because you knew how the guy escapes death and that he survived it takes a bit away from the drama. It was well directed and Franco put in a good performance but I just couldn't care about the character cos it was well known that it was based on a true story where he cuts off his arm and finds help. The arm-cutting scene was very well done though and I was squirming in my seat in the cinema.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was one of those films I watched cause nothing much else was on, and thoroughly enjoyed. Always the best film viewing experience, the films that are much more entertaining and enjoyable than you thought they would be :) Well worth a watch, although I don't think I could watch it again.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught some of it last time it was on and it very quickly got unbearably on my pip with its headache-inducing fast cuts and jumps and noisome soundtrack. Typical flashy for the sake of it latter-day Boyle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I caught some of it last time it was on and it very quickly got unbearably on my pip with its headache-inducing fast cuts and jumps and noisome soundtrack. Typical flashy for the sake of it latter-day Boyle.

127 Hours didn't cut that fast... There were some scenes (the chat show springs to mind) where that may have been the case. But most were quite gentle.

Danny Boyle is widely respected and acknowledged to be one of the better directors at using soundtracks...

If he was being flashy would he not have gone for something a bit bigger than a British-American indie about a climber who cuts his arm off. And would he not have gone blood and swearword free to get a 12...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scene I remember as being particularly irritatingly flashy and noisy was definitely one where the 'thing' had well and truly happened, and JF was trapped and on his ownsome - nothing to do with a chat show. Perhaps it was some kind of montage to do with the increasing intensity of his thought processes etc.

As to the rest opinion is subjective, and to me DB is 'flashy' - it's indisputable that he likes to adopt multiple stylistic devices within his films, he has done since the early works. But whereas they seemed employed meaningfully then, now to me they do just seem thrown in there for the sake of 'visibility'. The particular sequence I'm in mind of in this film seemed more akin to those tiresome Jason Statham Crank/Transporter type films - except for swearing and violence, granted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    The scene I remember as being particularly irritatingly flashy and noisy was definitely one where the 'thing' had well and truly happened, and JF was trapped and on his ownsome - nothing to do with a chat show. Perhaps it was some kind of montage to do with the increasing intensity of his thought processes etc.

As to the rest opinion is subjective, and to me DB is 'flashy' - it's indisputable that he likes to adopt multiple stylistic devices within his films, he has done since the early works. But whereas they seemed employed meaningfully then, now to me they do just seem thrown in there for the sake of 'visibility'. The particular sequence I'm in mind of in this film seemed more akin to those tiresome Jason Statham Crank/Transporter type films - except for swearing and violence, granted.
    I think that scene deliberately cut quickly to try and increase the intensity without going over the top on the gore...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it really is isolated amongst the rest of the film then perhaps I am being a tad prematurely harsh. Although I'd seen a lot of the redundant stylisation in Slumdog Millionaire previously, which perhaps put me on my guard also.
  • Delta TangoDelta Tango Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a load of bloody rubbish.

Was looking forward to it. Was actually going to buy it, but saw it on tv instead.

Like others said, wouldn't watch again.

The imaginary stuff, premonitions etc was just all too much. It bored me.
  • SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it on TV on Saturday, it was really god. The scene were he struggles cutting of his arm and the FX sound comes in made me feel dizzy and ill. James was great in it and I'm defo gonna get the DVD.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a load of bloody rubbish.

Was looking forward to it. Was actually going to buy it, but saw it on tv instead.

Like others said, wouldn't watch again.

The imaginary stuff, premonitions etc was just all too much. It bored me.

Yes but with the thought of death looming lack of food sleep and water your mind would be doing sommersaults. It was showing what his mind was thinking and I,m pretty sure it wouldn't be blank.
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Watch this film backwards and it's a real feelgood story of a guy who treks miles and finds his missing arm.
  • Delta TangoDelta Tango Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jules1000 wrote: »
    Yes but with the thought of death looming lack of food sleep and water your mind would be doing sommersaults. It was showing what his mind was thinking and I,m pretty sure it wouldn't be blank.

I know but I just found it boring.

Lovely setting. Loved the bit where they jumped down into the water pool. Made for great, beautiful viewing.

It just didn't keep me entertained. I was waiting for it to finish. I felt like I had to watch it just to find out what happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    Watch this film backwards and it's a real feelgood story of a guy who treks miles and finds his missing arm.

This is funny.:-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know but I just found it boring.

Lovely setting. Loved the bit where they jumped down into the water pool. Made for great, beautiful viewing.

It just didn't keep me entertained. I was waiting for it to finish. I felt like I had to watch it just to find out what happened.

We all have our likes and dislikes:-)
  • MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »

I really shouldn't be laughing, but...:D:D:D