Options

What's your fave cat noise?

Comments

• Options
    funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,350
    Forum Member
    Effie doen't miaow she makes a weird pigeon like noise mostly when she jumps or wants attention.

Ella Never stops - my favourite noise from Ella is silence. This NEVER happens!!!
  • Options
    summer_chicksummer_chick Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my little girls has a lovely little mwah sound which is an affectionate "more please" its a short miaow... she knows how to work her noises from the "oh I'd really like to do that but am never allowed" pathetic little mew to the "I'm about to die of starvation B**h"!! the other one is very quiet until the love of her life (OH) arrives home and she'll follow him around chatting ! (mwh ma maaaawh )

They definately talk to you !

I've yet to meet a cat who can't say "NO" !!
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite cat noise is the half snory half purry sound they make when they're asleep and (presumably) dreaming - when they're twitching their feet and whiskers and making little snuffly grunty sounds. It sounds so contented and cosy.
  • Options
    katiemackkatiemack Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    When they sit on my knee and purr!! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when my cat comes in to be fed purring his head off he tries moewing at the same time as purring and the noise that comes out is so adorable yet so funny.
  • Options
    B3atenB3aten Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Clive sits on my lap and makes little "meep" squeaks and chirrupswhen he is getting a big munch. He is the first cat that I've had that will alow a real good belly tickle - then he goes daft when I start ticking his ribs :)

This is just brilliant :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    15 months ago we were in the same position as you. My dson wanted a kitten, he was 15 at the time. While looking for a suitable kitten, we came across Maine ****, and thinking it was another species, googled it. The rest is, as they say, history. Leo cost £250 to buy, too young, no jabs, but all turned out well, he's fantastic. He's about 7kg atm, and big, bvut not extraordinary. Yet. He's got another 2-3 years of growing to do. He's only a baby, as I tease OH with. She was very anti, but Leo has won her over totally, she's besotted with him. Lily came last week, £375, but ready to go, 13 weeks old and fully jabbed. They are both here at my desk, up to mischief. Leo's a white/red smoke, Lily is a brown tabby with white. They do eat quite a lot, as you might expect, and can sh*t for England as a result. Can't think of another drawback, they are not fussy eaters, will eat scraps as well as cheap cat food. Very very good natured to their owners, though Leo faces up to delivery drivers and such, and caught and killed a rat last week. Any typing errors above are due to Lily hunting my fingers.
    Oh I can see an new member of the family coming LOL
  • Options
    loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    I love the annoyed/excited chattering thing. And when they want you to slow down or open the door, and their meow sounds kind of like bow.
    Oh, and the little brrr noise they make when they first see you.

One of my cats' meow sounds a bit like "meow-ooh", which sounds really sweet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine has to be when they purr...it's so relaxing when the cat comes on the bed, i'm asleep in no time! I also like it when she wraps herself around my head. I can hear her heartbeat, her tummy rumbling. Also, whilst I don't like to see a cat in distress, I like the spitting sound and a growl or two!

Although i cant explain it by writing it, cat owners will know. When my cat is on the hunt for a fly or moth etc he makes a strange noise and his whiskers flap about. Sounds like eh eh eh eh. Im in histerics everytime.

My cat is a diva he only purrs at feeding time or when he's waking me up in the morning!

My mums cat purred (in heaven now) like 15 hours a day!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the annoyed/excited chattering thing. And when they want you to slow down or open the door, and their meow sounds kind of like bow.
    Oh, and the little brrr noise they make when they first see you.

One of my cats' meow sounds a bit like "meow-ooh", which sounds really sweet.

My cat also does this, i think it is attention seeking lol listen to me!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B3aten wrote: »
    My Clive sits on my lap and makes little "meep" squeaks and chirrupswhen he is getting a big munch. He is the first cat that I've had that will alow a real good belly tickle - then he goes daft when I start ticking his ribs :)

This is just brilliant :)

Ha ha that vid was good! Have you seen this one i thought it was really funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1qHVVbYG8Y
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Just some general comments/replies to some posts here:

1. All domestic cats can purr. Different cats have different volumes and to the poster who said their cat doesn't purr, it may just be the cat does not have an audible purr. Feel the sides or gently place a finger on the windpipe.

2. The five 'true' big cats cannot purr in the normal sense. They can make a purr sound only when exhaling and there is no indication that they use it in the same way as domestic cats do. Cheetahs, however, can and do purr.

3. The 'chirrup' that some have mentioned is an intimate greeting learnt as a kitten from a nursing mother. To be greeted this way by a cat is an honour! And really cute!

4. Cats are capable of around 100 different vocalisations. Dogs have only around 10. :cool:

:)
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Cats also have about 1000 non vocal communications! I'm getting both here, from Lily, who is walking on the desk looking for Leo. He is keeping very quiet, he's climbed inside my jumper. Having a 15 pound cat in your jumper makes it hard to reach the keyboard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    Cats also have about 1000 non vocal communications! I'm getting both here, from Lily, who is walking on the desk looking for Leo. He is keeping very quiet, he's climbed inside my jumper. Having a 15 pound cat in your jumper makes it hard to reach the keyboard.
    I love your cat stories! They sound fab little creatures.

Little in inverted commas of course!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    I love the little 'mrrrppp' noise my cats make when they want to get my attention.

Also love hearing a happy cat purring :)

that looks familiar :)I was trying to think of a way to type that...it's so cute:Dmy kitten does that all the time.:D
  • Options
    AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have three cats and two are from a sanctuary and I found my little one hiding under a car.I've had Bonnie & Fluffy, two long-haired torties, for nearly 10 yrs and they're both still very timid even after being with me all this time.Bonnie is a little more out-going but I have never really heard Fluffy meow until recently.Only the other day I heard one of the cats wailing and was astonished to see that it was Fluffy.She has also started to 'chirrup' and 'brrr' and she does this when I call her.Fluffy is so timid that she will not let anyone pick her up and in 10yrs I have only managed that once---and when I did she went all limp like a rag doll :D

Sooty, the little black stray, has more than a 1,000 noises :D She squeaks if she's touched when she's sleeping, she wails when she wants to go upstairs and when she does get upstairs she becomes the soppiest cat imaginable.She purrs, rolls on the carpet, walks sideways on her tip-toes and will drool all over your face if you let her! She only does this upstairs, which we find strange, but we found her at 8wks and she slept in my bedroom so maybe she associates upstairs with safety.Also she really can growl when she starts flying around the living room during what we call a "mad do".She's quite a character!
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the yowl of a an alley cat in films which is cool. Or This.
    :)
  • Options
    trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    miaow
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WGERS1873 wrote: »
    Although i cant explain it by writing it, cat owners will know. When my cat is on the hunt for a fly or moth etc he makes a strange noise and his whiskers flap about. Sounds like eh eh eh eh. Im in histerics everytime.

My cat is a diva he only purrs at feeding time or when he's waking me up in the morning!

My mums cat purred (in heaven now) like 15 hours a day!

Do you mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ID149JSVkU&feature=PlayList&p=571FCF09BE108CCB&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=36
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    been looking after my son's kitten over the weekend, and it has been so much fun, and I over the weekend understood what she was saying, the mrrrupp was like you said, but she came with an engine which was slightly different which was brrupp and then take of a high speed around the house. My cat just stood back and thought, this is too much like hard work,and thought I'll just stay here and watch, then I'm going back to bed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this video of cats chattering:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3U0udLH974

My favourite noise is when my Ragdoll Milo wakes me up in the morning in bed.....he's purring and pawing at my face with his paw, and as he purrs he makes a high-pitched 'mmmrrreee' sound too. It's very hard to explain, but it's very sweet :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi I have a new 18month old cat from a rescue shelter and she doesnt purr.
    we have had her 3 weeks now and she makes all other kinds of noises!!

do you think she will ever purr or she just isnt settled enough?

i do feel sad that she maybe isnt happy enough to purr
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, don't worry, if she's chatting away to you anyway she's probably quite content ~ & well done for rehoming a cat from a rescue:).

Some cats purr a lot, some a little, some very loudly & some very quietly. Have you tried putting your finger under her throat when she's sitting on your lap or enjoying a cuddle? You may be able to feel a little "rumble" in her throat even if you can't hear her purr. And anyway, just because she may not be purring doesn't necessarily mean she's not happy & content so don't worry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilhemina wrote: »
    Ah, don't worry, if she's chatting away to you anyway she's probably quite content ~ & well done for rehoming a cat from a rescue:).

Some cats purr a lot, some a little, some very loudly & some very quietly. Have you tried putting your finger under her throat when she's sitting on your lap or enjoying a cuddle? You may be able to feel a little "rumble" in her throat even if you can't hear her purr. And anyway, just because she may not be purring doesn't necessarily mean she's not happy & content so don't worry.

lol i would but she isnt a lap cat