The Re-Watching Old Eurovision Contests Thread

TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,648
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all,

In the main thread I bought up the idea of us all sitting down watching old contests together (at the same time) as a way of passing through the long period between now and the proper start of the NF season, there was a good number that seemed up for it.

Watching old Eurovsion contests will be a good way to do this as it creates discussion as we all discuss the hosting, postcards, songs, dresses, voting and all the other things we usually discuss related to Eurovision. It also allows those we don't know the old songs/contests, to learn how Eurovision worked back in the day.

Someone posted a link to a screen sharing thing which allows everyone to watch at the same time and chat, with the host being able to pause the screen sharing (good for toilet breaks), and people are able to come and go as they please.

Was thinking if we did this we could have a different host each time who gets to choose the year we watch I would go with 1998, with 1997 and 1988 as back ups which immediately come to mind (wouldn't be opposed to watching recent contests, but would probably prefer not to watch contests of the past couple of years).

Not sure how often we would be able to do it, once a week might be nice (possibly on a Saturday at 8 to give it that proper Eurovision feel :D). But it's all up for discussion.

Anyway, I made a independent thread for it so it doesn't get lost in all the general dicussion, let us all know what you think and if enough people want to give it a go we can think about when we can do our first old contest re-watch. :)

Comments

• BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I'm not working Terry, you can count me in! Would also like to put 1991 into the mix at some point too - it's so entertaining in its car crashiness!
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,371
    Forum Member
    Sounds great to me! I'm in.
  • TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    If I'm not working Terry, you can count me in! Would also like to put 1991 into the mix at some point too - it's so entertaining in its car crashiness!

You can host 1991 if you like, it is a classic for all the wrong reasons, anyone that complained about the hosting this year can look at that and think, thank god it wasn't that bad. :D

That being said I do think the quality of songs in 1991 are pretty strong, even if they are loaded a bit towards the first half of the contest.
  • youngswedeyoungswede Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be up for this too :) I haven't seen a lot of the older ones so would be great to do so alongside others.

EDIT: And yes 1991 is one I want to see again. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerryP wrote: »
    You can host 1991 if you like, it is a classic for all the wrong reasons, anyone that complained about the hosting this year can look at that and think, thank god it wasn't that bad. :D

That being said I do think the quality of songs in 1991 are pretty strong, even if they are loaded a bit towards the first half of the contest.

Very much like this year in that respect! It also show the pitfalls of a live orchestra ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very much like this year in that respect! It also show the pitfalls of a live orchestra ;)

That old geezer playing the sax murdering the Greek song is legendary. :D

Plenty of other songs got killed by the orchestra that evening.
  • wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerryP wrote: »
    That old geezer playing the sax murdering the Greek song is legendary. :D

Plenty of other songs got killed by the orchestra that evening.

...and the drummer who had learned his trade in the shipyards of Naples as a riveter. The whole orchestra had a look like they were being held at gunpoint by the Caribinieri. I think 1991 beats 1998 as my all time favourite even though I did get to one of the dress rehearsals in Birmingham.
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    I'm also up for this, my fading memories of contests in my childhood are starting to become planted ones now.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Can I request 65? It's arguably the year Eurovision was at it's very coolest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I request 65? It's arguably the year Eurovision was at it's very coolest.

Would love to watch some of the golden oldies, got to have a contest with ones of those scoreboards which someone had to manually update. Nearly every single contest had at least one cock-up with the scoreboard. :D
  • da33431da33431 Posts: 48,931
    Forum Member
    I'll do my best to be tuned in but it has to be an evening for me and not next Saturday as it's the Champions League final:p

My request would be for 2003 at some point, I'd also like to see 1993 as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would actually like to do one next Saturday, mainly because I don't have any interest in football and it would be nice to get this all underway. Plus it's not going to be a one-off so we are all probably going to miss one at some point.

I would suggest next Sunday instead, but I am working and would like to be around for the first instalment seeing as I suggested it :D

We could always try sometime in the week, though only tomorrow, Tuesday or Wednesday would work for me. Of course it would always be evening as that would work best for most people.
  • Suzy07Suzy07 Posts: 2,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this. I think 1973 and 1974 would be good ones as well. And as an Irish person I have to mention 1994, the year we made history :)
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm up for this :)
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my mum has alzheimer's so hosting is impossible.. but i wouldn't mind watching 2006 with everyone.. because that was the year i joined a french eurovision forum to support virginie pouchain. i had to translate my words into french very carefully before posting.. they even had a ds fantasy type competition after eurovision was over and invited me to stay and take part
  • Suzy07Suzy07 Posts: 2,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    my mum has alzheimer's so hosting is impossible.. but i wouldn't mind watching 2006 with everyone.. because that was the year i joined a french eurovision forum to support virginie pouchain. i had to translate my words into french very carefully before posting.. they even had a ds fantasy type competition after eurovision was over and invited me to stay and take part

Sorry to hear that thms. My dad has recently been diagnosed with it too but it's fairly early days. I would like to see 2006 too, as I was in Australia at the time and didn't really get to watch it properly (but I was really surprised at how much attention it got over there and I wasn't sure if it was because of the oddness of a metal band winning, or if they just loved Eurovision).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So when would people want to start this and how often would you want to do it?

Thinking we could maybe get some rough schedule set up for it.

I would be more than happy to attempt the first instalment, probably 1998 if people are happy with that.

Like I said, I could do next Saturday if not too many of you are going to be watching the football, otherwise I would be able to do any evening before Thursday during the week.
  • ChrisROE HughesChrisROE Hughes Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    I might be interested in this too. I was too young to remember a lot of the older contests so this could be fun. It all depends on the days and times
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1998 is fine.. looking forwarded to the ds eurovision workshop
  • Pdm1987Pdm1987 Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the sound of this. 1998 is good :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly Terry I won't be able to make this weekend - so I look forward to reading back the conversations! 1998 was a great year, loved the postcards (that Denmark 2014 copied!), my only gripe really was the BBC trying to make it into a Saturday night variety show, with the musical intros for the presenters

Oh, and Chiara's dress!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly Terry I won't be able to make this weekend - so I look forward to reading back the conversations! 1998 was a great year, loved the postcards (that Denmark 2014 copied!), my only gripe really was the BBC trying to make it into a Saturday night variety show, with the musical intros for the presenters

Oh, and Chiara's dress!

Well I am not sure if it is going to go ahead this weekend yet, still waiting to hear back on who is going to be available. Unfortunately if it doesn't happen this weekend I won't be around the following 2 weekends to do it.

I would have been happy to do it on Wednesday, but that may be too short notice now. Anyway, everyone please do let us know when you will be available to see if this would be possible this week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm free
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    This Saturday is fine for me, I can multitask this and the footie. :p
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sat is good! Maybe Queen Chiara will win this time ;)