Homeland on Ch4 (UK Pace) - No Spoilers! (Part 2)

Comments

• NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't you hear what he said - "he needs a partner, he needs her to share his life".

And then compare that to Peter's letter of his quiet undeclared unrequited love for her. Bet Carrie will go for the creepy weirdo Otto. If Peter was ginger and weird, the poor chap might have a chance. But Carrie will have to be off her meds because she's only able to figure out what's right when she's off them.
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was the point of the antidote? Quinn might as well have died straight away from the Sarin gas (although maybe he would've survived if they hadn't brought him out of his coma to try & get information out of him); oh & although I approve of Carrie unhooking him from the machines keeping him alive seeing as he was going to be a vegetable, I'm sure the authorities would see it as a criminal act....

If I was the German authorities then I'd deport that ungrateful bastard Numan anyway.

If I was Carrie then I'd accept Otto's marriage proposal - well he is a billionaire (or at the very least a multi-millionaire).

Alison's sudden conscience was kind of funny - shocked at the trafficking of girls for the sex industry, yet she killed her bodyguard in cold blood & was prepared to let the Sarin attack go ahead.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was hard for me to feel sorry for Numan. He was in Germany on asylum and he was happy to be part of illegally disclosing secret documents of a country he sought refuge in. "Stupid idiot" doesn't come close. As for Laura, yeah, well, she wanted to play against the big boys. Just make sure you bring big weapons to fight them with. Again with her "stupid idiot" doesn't come close.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,857
    Forum Member
    Nihonga wrote: »
    It was hard for me to feel sorry for Numan. He was in Germany on asylum and he was happy to be part of illegally disclosing secret documents of a country he sought refuge in. "Stupid idiot" doesn't come close. As for Laura, yeah, well, she wanted to play against the big boys. Just make sure you bring big weapons to fight them with. Again with her "stupid idiot" doesn't come close.

Are asylum seekers allowed to work in Germany? They aren't here and I think that is a mistake. If people are left as asylum seekers for years on end then some will turn to crime for money and is it any surprise?
  • biggytbiggyt Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    What was the point of the antidote? Quinn might as well have died straight away from the Sarin gas (although maybe he would've survived if they hadn't brought him out of his coma to try & get information out of him); oh & although I approve of Carrie unhooking him from the machines keeping him alive seeing as he was going to be a vegetable, I'm sure the authorities would see it as a criminal act....

She didn't unhook him, there were no machines keeping him alive. All she did was move the finger thing (technical term!) monitoring his vital signs to her finger so the doctors wouldn't know when she smothered him with a pillow (or whatever). The bright light through the window maybe changed her mind though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused: The butch woman said to Alison that she'd be in Russia in 3 & a half hours, really? 3 & a half hours to get from Berlin to the German Polish border & then across the whole width of Poland to the Polish Russian border, maybe my geography's failing me but I could've sworn that was a longer distance than that.
  • stiddsstidds Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    :confused: The butch woman said to Alison that she'd be in Russia in 3 & a half hours, really? 3 & a half hours to get from Berlin to the German Polish border & then across the whole width of Poland to the Polish Russian border, maybe my geography's failing me but I could've sworn that was a longer distance than that.

I too wondered about that Jenny, Berlin to the closest point of Russia (if you are not counting Belarus as part of Russia) is about 900 miles. If you count Belarus as part of Russia it is about 500 miles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stidds wrote: »
    I too wondered about that Jenny, Berlin to the closest point of Russia (if you are not counting Belarus as part of Russia) is about 900 miles. If you count Belarus as part of Russia it is about 500 miles.

I remembered & checked it on a map that there is a small Russian enclave in between Poland & the Baltic countries, it makes the distance a lot smaller - but I still question whether the journey could be done in 3 & a half hours. I'd forgotten about Belarus (sorry Belarus :blush:), also Berlin is a lot further east than I'd realised. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.8335464,14.6489061,6z - Kaliningrad is part of Russia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the RAC the journey takes about 8 hours: http://www.rac.co.uk/route-planner/
  • marks thespotmarks thespot Posts: 2,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I can see the logic in Saul getting his revenge on Alison, do we really think the Russians were going to let her live happily ever after?
    I don't trust Otto and found his offer rather creepy. Carrie might have considered working for/with him, but I can't believe she'd partner with him in any other way, just like that.
    They've left enough loose ends that the next series could take any of several directions. But it will probably be along the lines of Carrie starting out happy and settled, having decided on a quiet life in a little cottage somewhere, yet finds herself dragged into another CIA "situation"...
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the writers really missed a trick in not having Saul open the boot and find it empty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    I think the writers really missed a trick in not having Saul open the boot and find it empty.

Yes! That's what I thought.
    Had enough of 'bulging eyes' Carrie (with that ruddy shoulder bag that you couldn't fit a pack of Kleenex in let alone the brush that means her hair ....) ( let it GO Jayne:D) ...but still better entertainment than most on tv.
  • testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    What is it with Homeland and poor final episodes?

Usually the endings are good, even if we don't like them eg Brody nearly blowing everyone up In season 1 and Carrie ending up in a mental asylum . Langley bombing season 2, Brody's departure in season 3. It's only 4 & 5 that have been a bit flat.

Although uikely in the real world, I hope Quinn does miraculously survive for season 6.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    I meant the Germans obviously got ahead of myself as I had comments in mind about the Russians too. How would they (Germany) as a cheerleading EU country send someone to a country where they would face the death penalty?

Neumann doesn't "face the Death Penalty" - Turkey does not practice capital punishment therefore the German authorities would have no legal or constitutional issue repatriating an asylum seeker to his home country.

Neumann is not, it would appear, the subject of an extradition request from Turkey so it may be assumed that he would have no outstanding arrest warrant waiting for him when he returned.

However, per Laura, Neumann has been declared an "enemy of the state (of Turkey)", most probably because of his political beliefs and because he is almost certainly a Kurd The sort of person who watches a show like Homeland should at least have a vague awareness of the strained relations the Turkish state has with its Kurdish minority and the sometimes extra-judicial manner in which it deals with separatist protests and dissenting voices. That is the "danger to life" that Neumann faces and to which Laura refers when being blackmailed by Astrid.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Why did they shoot the Russians at the end for instead of hauling them in? As I'm writing its coming to me that maybe they would have had to let them go because of diplomatic immunity but if that is the case then why hasn't the other Russian guy they've got not got that immunity?

Killing her off and keeping it quiet would be preferable to having to publicly admit to the infiltration.
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alison didn't wear gloves when shooting the professor & her bodyguard & she didn't wipe the guns - so her fingerprints would be all over the guns, furthermore she pressed the gun right up against her shoulder - so ballistics experts would easily be able to establish that the gunshot was self-inflicted.

I would have thought even the most cursory glance at the scene would have set off alarms. The bodyguard's brains all over the wall to the right, Alison in the prime position to have fire that shot. The shooter dead, sitting comfortably in the chair, yet was supposed to have grabbed the bodyguard's gun somehow. No evidence of a scuffle. Plus there was the single gunshot after the initial rounds with a timing gap while she worked herself up to pull the trigger. That last one might have taken a bit of time to discover though. Why didn't she just run there and then, rather than shoot herself and run when injured?
    FrankBT wrote: »
    I think one can take it as red that Quinn is gone. I think Homeland needed to move on in a much bigger way to survive with any credibility. I think it would have been a better idea if Carrie had been killed off instead or with Quinn. Her bi-polar, quivering lips, bulging eyes scenarios have now been done ad-nauseam. Carrie was never really a credible CIA agent anymore than Superwoman was real, whereas Astrid showed how a believable female spy should behave and operate.

Fully agree with all of that.
  • Red WimpRed Wimp Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phil solo wrote: »

] The sort of person who watches a show like Homeland should at least have a vague awareness of the strained relations the Turkish state has with its Kurdish minority and the sometimes extra-judicial manner in which it deals with separatist protests and dissenting voices.

Is that in the same way people working at Curry's should have a basic knowledge of Latin
  • Bob_KnoobbBob_Knoobb Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 6 to be set in New York.

Showtime boss David Nevins told reporters at the Television Critics Association's press tour: "Homeland will be shot next year in New York City, in and around New York..... After setting the show in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Europe, [we] wanted to do another American story. Also, I think the actors will be happy to be back in the U.S. for a year. I don't think it's necessarily going to stay forever, but there was a strong interest in doing a domestic story from the creative team"

http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/634533/Homeland-changes-location-for-Season-6-but-Quinn-is-not-the-same
  • primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has there been a date for when it will be showing in the UK? Is it still going to be aired on Channel4? I can't wait any longer :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Has there been a date for when it will be showing in the UK? Is it still going to be aired on Channel4? I can't wait any longer :(

I thought it might be this coming Sunday but I just checked the TV Guide on the Channel 4 website and there is no mention of it.
  • Laughing FairyLaughing Fairy Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There've been trailers on tv saying "Coming Soon", and I do believe it is scheduled to air in January. Any day now....:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Just checked Wikipedia and it starts this Sunday in the US so that probably means the 22nd in the UK.
  • WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice, really looking forward to this. Only started watching Homeland in series 4, so still quite new and fresh for me. Was always put off by Damian Lewis in the early seasons, as I am in a minority who thinks he pretty much plays himself in every role. Claire Danes is a far stronger lead actor.