Will this damage Anton's standing?

sueh21sueh21 Posts: 2,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wondered if the major backlash against Kate will affect Antons image as a professional or are the pro's immune. People will be looking for a real improvement from her this week,it won't be good if Anton can't get some sort of decent performance.This weeks effort was just too hideous to watch.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, why should it :confused::confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Nothing could affect Anton - he's 'marvellous'!
  • sueh21sueh21 Posts: 2,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claudia57 wrote: »
    No, why should it :confused::confused:

Just in terms of how good a teacher he is as she seems to be regressing not progressing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I feel sorry for Anton and Kate.

The judges are making them look like bad people just because of the way the British public are voting.

There is going to be soooooo much pressure on the pair of them as they have been made out to be the villains who are ruining the show.

I wish the judges would lighten up a bit at times, lets remember that nobody was killed this weekend, its not a huge disaster. There has been a huge OTT reaction today IMO.

We have often had a big shock in the early stages, remember Spoony being voted off early on last year, I thought he was a decent dancer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    Slightly off topic, but I hope they give Anton a partner with a real chance next year, so we can put the issue of him having always been given a 'dud' partner to rest (with the exception of Patsy) :D:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SCD_Angel wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but I hope they give Anton a partner with a real chance next year, so we can put the issue of him having always been given a 'dud' partner to rest (with the exception of Patsy) :D:)

Lesley Garratt wasn't a dud either, although I do agree his other partners haven't been the best. Anton deserves someone with more natural rhythm the next time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    diamond1 wrote: »
    Lesley Garratt wasn't a dud either, although I do agree his other partners haven't been the best. Anton deserves someone with more natural rhythm the next time.

I hadn't thought of Lesley, but he does seem to get the more mature or ungainly :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps that is because he is more mature and more ungainly (in the latin dances) than the other pros??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it should affect his image and as for saying his teaching is 'regressing,' you can only teach what's put in front of you and if Kate just isn't very good, she isn't going to be a great dancer, no matter how good a teacher you are!

Plus, she has never had any dance training before whereas some of the other girls have

Anyway, after the foot injury and the fact that poor Kate, if we're honest- isn't very good Anton can't do any more than he has already and so far I think he has done pretty well with her!

Better than Brendan did with Fiona by a long shot!

And with teaching anyway, with experience you get better not worse
  • ooo-la-laooo-la-la Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    I like Anton, and no-one can dispute his ballroom dancing is fab. But his latin is farcical. I just can't see him ever winning SCD because he simply is not as "rounded" as the other pro's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    It's not his fault they nearly always give him a terrible partner. Nothing against the ladies, but apart from Lesley and a little bit of Patsy, they just aren't very good.

It's almost as if they don't value him at all, by constantly giving him poor dancers with little or no scope for improvement.

There is no reason he couldn't have partnered Gabby, Alesha, Letitia or Kelly. Penny would have been too tall for him. But the reasoning that they pick them by height is a joke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    If Anton had any integrity he would have immediately offered to leave on Saturday night. The whole programme has become a travesty now. Will have to tune into X factor on Saturday nights from now on. At least they don't throw out the best talent on the show:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andmor wrote: »
    If Anton had any integrity he would have immediately offered to leave on Saturday night. The whole programme has become a travesty now. Will have to tune into X factor on Saturday nights from now on. At least they don't throw out the best talent on the show:cry:

I don't agree with this, and I think it would be stupid and unfair to his partner if he did that.

It that was the case the couple at the bottom of the judges score chart should volunteer to leave everyweek and no one would bother voting.

Yes I think that Kate should have gone but I don't agree with people volunteering to leave, they should be voted off.
  • MegaDancerMegaDancer Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have said this on other threads:
    Kate/Anton, Kenny/Ola, Dom/Lilia, John/Nicole - none of them have done anything wrong (except possibly crimes against dance - joking!!;)) - they signed up to the show as a job, they are doing the job they have been paid to do and obviously people are responding to it - so, there should be no backlash or hate-mongering about any of them. Anyone doesn't particularly like them, fine - that's up to the individual. But they are doing what they have agreed to do. It would be a bit silly for them to train/practice and then say - well I'm really crap, so don't vote for me!:)
  • arddunolarddunol Posts: 12,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SCD_Angel wrote: »

I have seen lots of posts about giving this or that pro a better partner ....how can " they " know what sort of dancer the celebrity will be .Unless of course , they have had dance experience , such as working as a dancer .
    There is now ay of knowing .
    Did the BBC know Mark was going to be such a good dancer , did anyone know Zoe or Natasha or even Lesley were going to be so good ?
    It's pot luck and very much to do with height .
    Kate had as much chance as most of the others of doing well .
    unfortunately , Kate seems to have balance issues and a major lack of aptitude . Anton can't be blamed for that .
    Anton got to the semi with Lesley , did very well with Patsy , Jan wasn't a bad partner , she had terrible nerves and didn't manage to get the routines right on the night .
  • arddunolarddunol Posts: 12,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duryea wrote: »
    It's not his fault they nearly always give him a terrible partner. Nothing against the ladies, but apart from Lesley and a little bit of Patsy, they just aren't very good.

It's almost as if they don't value him at all, by constantly giving him poor dancers with little or no scope for improvement.

There is no reason he couldn't have partnered Gabby, Alesha, Letitia or Kelly. Penny would have been too tall for him. But the reasoning that they pick them by height is a joke.

No it is not . That is exactly how dance partners are selected, professionally . That and having the right look and height of bounce . Obviously pros will try out with various partners until the whole package is right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anton is fine, I don't think it would do him any favours if he and Kate won this year but that is not likely to happen. He is a good pro, he supports his partner and that is how it is meant to be - in this case the support is maybe a bit more than he signed up for but that is not his fault.

As for his Latin dancing, he is excellent. It may not be his favourite but he can still cut a dash.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    sueh21 wrote: »
    Just in terms of how good a teacher he is as she seems to be regressing not progressing

It's hardly his fault Kate has absolutely no aptitude and little by way of a personality on the floor for that matter...why not blame her for taking on what she hadn't a hope of competing fairly in and cynically milking the GMTV sympathy vote for all that she's worth. It's not as if she was entirely clueless about what she was letting herself in for given that she was also working for GMTV during the Fiona Phillips SCD fiasco. :mad:

Anton is a true gent. Even when he gets dross like Kate he does everything in his power to take the choreography down to her level. She, however, seems capable only of getting worse every week. I think she danced better with tendonitis to be frank. At least it kept her upright! :eek:

Sorry for the rant. I wasn't even that fussed about Gabby but Sunday evening was just silly.
  • GeenyGeeny Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should it affect Anton,its not his or Kates fault.Anyway other couples were just as poor.As for his latin people who know him are sick of explaining he is good at latin,we just never see much of it as he and Erin dont compete in it,he can certainly do it though,he is trained in ballet too