UK Sport Medal Targets For Team GB

Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,786
Forum Member
✭✭
So UK Sport have set the medal target for London 2012. The minimum target is 48 (1 more than last time) but the upper target is 70 and there is no specific gold medal targets. The target for the medal table is to match the 4th place achieved in Beijing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/9374912/Team-GB-medal-target-for-London-2012-Olympics-is-fourth-place-with-48-medals-across-12-sports.html

What are your views/predictions? I think we will win around 60 medals with 20+ golds. I think if we were to win that many medals 4th place would very likely to be achieved.

Comments

• countesscountess Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    We will win 25 golds minimum, and maybe even reach 30.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    I also think we'll win 60+ medals and come 4th in the medal table.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    countess wrote: »
    We will win 25 golds minimum, and maybe even reach 30.

I'd say that was over ambitious.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be happy if we were top European nation (excluding Russia)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be happy if we were top European nation (excluding Russia)

No - we have to beat the pesky Aussies. We'd never hear the end of it if they finished ahead of us on our own turf.
  • cray1975cray1975 Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    No - we have to beat the pesky Aussies. We'd never hear the end of it if they finished ahead of us on our own turf.

The Aussies are desperate to beat us in the medals table. The shame of Beijing runs deep :D

They plan to come to 'our' Olympics to ruin the party :rolleyes: I wonder how the Aussies in Sydney would have responded to similiar plans to 'their' Games. Their propaganda includes claiming that these Games will be like a home Olympics for the Australian team because of the large number of Aussies in London. Having seen the Torch Relay scenes of British people going wild, i think they going to be slightly disappointed :p

I'm confident that we will come fourth in the table and we should be looking at around 20 golds. If we don't come fourth we that type of result i'd say we were very unlucky, and some other nation's team had had a freakish result like winning say 30 medals and virtually all of them Gold.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    cray1975 wrote: »
    They plan to come to 'our' Olympics to ruin the party :rolleyes: I wonder how the Aussies in Sydney would have responded to similiar plans to 'their' Games.
    Everyone wants to come here and spoil our party, Aussies, Argies and probably the Yankees!! :D I think our swim team is probably the no. 1 target because we were also rans until fairly recently and now we've been dishing out the defeats. Dai Greene is another target. The Americans seem desperate to want to turn him over on his home turf.

As for the Aussies we should start doing checks on expired visas!! That will sort them out.
    Forum Member
    I'd say that was over ambitious.

It's based on us getting 19 in Beijing, and I think we have more genuine gold medal candidates across more sports now. I have also factored in the home advantage aspect.

As for Australia, I don't think they'll get close to us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's based on us getting 19 in Beijing, and I think we have more genuine gold medal candidates across more sports now. I have also factored in the home advantage aspect.

As for Australia, I don't think they'll get close to us.

You also have to factor in that we probably slightly over achieved in Beijing and for sports like Cycling & Sailing it will be difficult to match the Beijing tally never mind exceed it. I think 20-25 is the more realistic gold medal range not 25-30.
    Forum Member
    You also have to factor in that we probably slightly over achieved in Beijing and for sports like Cycling & Sailing it will be difficult to match the Beijing tally never mind exceed it. I think 20-25 is the more realistic gold medal range not 25-30.

Well, I won a nice few quid betting on our gold medal tally in Beijing and hopefully will again this time :). One of the few times I've genuinely felt I've 'beaten the bookie'.

Personally I don't think we over achieved in 2008, not with our funding and technical resources. I sometimes think people think (not saying you do) 'Oh, we're GB, we're crap at sport!' when in actual fact we're a fantastic sporting nation. We under achieve at international football, but not at much else.

I really think, in our home Olympics, there's going to be some incredible performances by GB competitors, roared on by huge, partisan crowds. If I'm wrong I'll be the first back on this thread admitting I'm an idiot!

GO GB! :D
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is no way the Aussies will beat us in the medal table. Mind you its thanks to umpteen Aussie coaches working for GB ;)
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Everyone wants to come here and spoil our party, Aussies, Argies and probably the Yankees!! :D

You flatter the Argies lumping them in with the Aussies and Yanks. What are they bringing to our shores apart from their Women's Hockey team? :p
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,777
    Forum Member

I understand we can only enter one team/person in each event now so will not get some of the double medals we got in previous games.

These guys are dammed if they predict a major increase because the press will accuse them of over-confidence and now some are saying "All that money for ONE more.."
    Forum Member
    Radio Five Live 'Virtual Medal Table' prediction:

Gold 27
    Silver 25
    Bronze 43

Total 95

I think they were getting a bit carried away on the bronzes! :D

Apparently Sheffield Hallam University have also predicted 27 golds (including weighting for home advantage).

Infostrada predict:

Gold 19
    Silver 24
    Bronze 21

Total 64

But then add in a home advantage factor to up it to 72 total medals and third on the medals table.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,777
    Forum Member
    Like Steve Parry said think a few were being kind incase athletes etc were listening..

Athletics for example was tipped for 14!
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Five Live 'Virtual Medal Table' prediction:

Gold 27
    Silver 25
    Bronze 43

Total 95

I think they were getting a bit carried away on the bronzes! :D

Just a tad, lol! :D

Apparently Sheffield Hallam University have also predicted 27 golds (including weighting for home advantage).

Infostrada predict:

Gold 19
    Silver 24
    Bronze 21

Total 64

But then add in a home advantage factor to up it to 72 total medals and third on the medals table.

That seems a tad low on golds, but the overall number of medals looks in the right ball park to me, something like 55 - 65 would be my guess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know they got carried away on the Five Live programme when they predicted a Bronze for Basketball. :eek: