Options

Frasier. Best and worst episodes?

Comments

• Options
    ChzzaChzza Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the episode where Martin eats the pot brownie and thinks Eddie is talking and Niles acting stoned. It has me in stitches everytime I watch it. I don't think there really are any bad episodes,I love them all. I even love Simon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also from Series 5, Bad Dog - in fact practically every episode with Bulldog. The show really took a nosedive when he left.
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    I quite liked the relatives - I thought the bad accents were on purpose.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daphne's 'brothers from Manchester' (played by a Scot and a South of England/Swazi - neither could do a Manchester accent .

And neither tried - I suspect it was a nod fom the writers to the fact that many Americans thnks Brits either talk 'Cockney' or posh, which they strung through the whole series.

I think Daphne's accent in the early series is awful, it tones down in time.
    I'd say the ones With Bebe and Kate were probably the worst.

Kate might not be the best character (far better than the vile Mel though) but Bebe is great.
    Chzza wrote: »
    I love the episode where Martin eats the pot brownie and thinks Eddie is talking and Niles acting stoned. It has me in stitches everytime .

That would certainly be in my top 10 along with:

Moondance: Funny but moving at the same time

Flour Child: "That dingo's got your baby'

The one where they try to open a restaurant.

Roz and the Scnoz: "We have two giant Schnauzers".

The one where Niles is being harassed by the media after Maris kills her lover (and Fraiser puts his foot in it). The scene in Cafe Nervosa is wonderful.

Death and the Dog: Where they call in a dog psychiatrsi for Eddie: "I do enjoy being in the company of colleagues", "Sorry, did you say collies?"

The cruise ship one - with Carlos "The Barracuda" Delgado.

The one when Frasier 'acquires' a Butler and Niles confronts Mel.

The final two parter: Touching, hilarious and with a lovely finish.

Oh, I'll be greedy and add two more:

The Club: Where they end up competing for membership of a snooty Gentleman's Club.

Perspectives on Christmas: where the approach to Christmas is shown from different points of view.

The only two I really can't watch are the one where Frasier becomes a regular at Daphne's (supposedly 'English') Pub, which is just full of awful accents, names and lousy stereotypes, and the one where Frasier and Niles enrol in a motor mechanics class and decide to become the class 'bad boys' because it's so out of character.

Don't care for Cam Winston episodes either.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HIGNFYfan wrote: »
    Another vote for Ham Radio. I love the way Frasier really winds up Niles to the point he sabotages the play.
    Chzza wrote: »
    I love the episode where Martin eats the pot brownie and thinks Eddie is talking and Niles acting stoned. It has me in stitches everytime I watch it. I don't think there really are any bad episodes,I love them all. I even love Simon.
    Agree, love these two as well!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite episode is The Seal who came to Dinner. That's the one that sticks out to me but I like a lot of the ones already mentioned in the thread.

I can't think what my least favourite is as I tend to zone out if a dud episode comes on.
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Its so hard to chose, there are so many great episodes. Are you being served would be one simply for the 'hot and foamy' moment alone. As mentioned, Ham Radio is a classic and Three Valentines is hysterical. I've always really liked Good Grief because of Frasier's mad behaviour after losing his job. But really practically every episode from season 1-7 is fantastic.

Personally I rarely watch an episode from season 9, 10 or 11. Alot of those were pretty poor comparitively speaking. The only one that ever made me really laugh, like the other seasons, was the one where Martin eats the hash brownie. I really disliked most of the supporting characters in those seasons. Mrs. Moon was ok but I hated Ronnie, she was soo irritating and not at all funny. Plus it really annoyed me when Frasier fell for Charlotte and persued her even though she had a boyfriend, totally out of character for someone who was so moral. Boring arc and not a good one to go out on.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh another good episode is when Michael Keaton guest stars as Lilith's half brother and scams Frasier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think there was a bad episode of Frasier. :)
  • Options
    sergio2006sergio2006 Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't remember the name of the episode but my favourite line in all of the Frasier episodes is when Donny bring his parents round to meet daphne. Daphne at the time is in a feud with a women over leaving clothes in the bleach at the laundrette or something and for revenge she throws this woman's clothes over the balcony right as Donny and his parents enter. The clothes landing on the road cause a massive pile and everyone looks at each shocked. Frasier storms out from his bedroom in his dressing grown and loudly and angrily proclaims "fine! I guess I'll just have to make my own tea!"

The context and the way he said it makes it the best line in Frasier for me!
  • Options
    chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    My favourite episode the one where Frasier keeps getting caught in Daphne's room.i'm a fan of the farcical episodes so loved the ski lodge one as well.Also the one where frasier and niles attempt to solve a crime they think that occured
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what was the one when one of daphne's old flames comes round and they all end up lying about who they are? brilliant.

also the one where frasier and lilith are trying to bride the head of the school they want to get freddie into
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think this is the best scene they ever did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Vpmv5y4bw
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Also like the episode where Martin solves the murder case that's been bugging him for years - 'he's like a kid at Christmas'...'where are my entry room closeups'...

The episode where Frasier and Niles are both desperate to be accepted into the snooty club + start trying to make each other look bad - 'what's that smell?'...'that's power'.

The episode where Frasier and Niles think they are both pursuing the same woman - 'you noble b*st*rd'

The epsiode where Frasier is trying to resist having Bebe as an agent and is attacked by a crane during a photo op.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Great:
    All the Bebe episodes
    Ham Radio
    The Ski Lodge
    Martin pretends to be in a gay relationship with Niles
    When Frasier's boss thinks he's gay
    Roz and the Schnoz
    The one where Frasier's handcuffed to a hooker
    Our Father, Who art ain't in heaven (because they all end up0 crying)
    Three Valentines
    When Frasier and Niles find a prop skull and 'solve' a murder
    When Frasier and Niles try to get into an exclusive spa
    Enemy at the Gate - just for the joke at the end (season 10, episode 2)

Worst:
    Not many. Most of them are season 8, because it has little of those farce episodes
    Daphne's family get in the way a lot.
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Ha, I meant entry wound closeups in my previous post.

There are a lot of good lines in that Ski Lodge farce episode. I especially like the delivery of the line 'curse these infernal riddles' and 'you are not ze Crane I want'...'you're not even the sex I want'
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    And neither tried - I suspect it was a nod fom the writers to the fact that many Americans thnks Brits either talk 'Cockney' or posh, which they strung through the whole series.

Kate might not be the best character (far better than the vile Mel though) but Bebe is great.

The one where Niles is being harassed by the media after Maris kills her lover (and Fraiser puts his foot in it). The scene in Cafe Nervosa is wonderful.

Death and the Dog: Where they call in a dog psychiatrsi for Eddie: "I do enjoy being in the company of colleagues", "Sorry, did you say collies?"

The Club: Where they end up competing for membership of a snooty Gentleman's Club.

Perspectives on Christmas: where the approach to Christmas is shown from different points of view.

The only two I really can't watch are the one where Frasier becomes a regular at Daphne's (supposedly 'English') Pub, which is just full of awful accents, names and lousy stereotypes, and the one where Frasier and Niles enrol in a motor mechanics class and decide to become the class 'bad boys' because it's so out of character.

I didn't like that one either
  • Options
    Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are lot's of great episodes but the one that always stands out to me is S2E23 The Innkeepers, it's when Frasier and Niles buy a restaurant together.

The comedy timing and slapstick elements of that episode are second to none, it's that one that got me into Frasier in the first place and it still has me rolling on the floor every time I see it, especially Roz with the cherry bowl.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weigh-Man wrote: »
    There are lot's of great episodes but the one that always stands out to me is S2E23 The Innkeepers, it's when Frasier and Niles buy a restaurant together.

The comedy timing and slapstick elements of that episode are second to none, it's that one that got me into Frasier in the first place and it still has me rolling on the floor every time I see it, especially Roz with the cherry bowl.

"Big blue flash !" :D
  • Options
    semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite are:

Ham Radio .......Cedrics lines .." romping with my school chums in the fens and spinnys " :D

Mixed Doubles ..... Rodney who looks and acts like Niles, dates Daphne, hilarious part when they all in the apartment

There are many more but I liked the poignant episodes and the chemistry and anticipation between Niles and Daphne which was at times excellently crafted.

the one with the ceramic pot was good too

(no wonder friends called all their episodes "the one with...."
    It's hard to remember episode titles )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From series 6 - the Dinner Party; Roz, a Loan; Our Parents, ourselves; Three Valentines; ..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a brilliant show. None of the shows were really my favorite or least favorite.

As far as the accents I hear complaints about, we Americans don't know the difference between the various British accents. You guys probably wouldn't notice slight differences in American accents, either. It's an American show so producers know Americans won't notice or care if the British accents are right.

As far as Daphne's accent, the creators of the show said they didn't want the stereotypical upper class accent you usually hear from British characters. They wanted Daphne to be of lower class and social standing and also show the warmth and vulnerability and sensibility that British people on American TV usually don't have. I think they also wanted her to be more like Martin, more down-to-earth and a contrast to the sophistication and neuroticism of Frasier and Niles. Kelsey Grammar originally fought having a British housekeeper because he thought it would be too stereotypical. They worked it out so it wouldn't be.

On a different note, Daniel Davis played Niles in the Nanny and he's not really British. He just made that accent up. Charles Schaunessy is British. Fran Drescher said the show would get letters from British viewers telling Daniel Davis to teach Charles Schaunessy how to speak British. Apparently they thought Davis was really British and Schaunessy was not.
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »

Oh, I LOVE the Cam Winston eps!! Especially the one when his mother and Martin pretend to be lovers to p*ss off Frasier and Cam!
    Agree about the English pub one though - none of their attempts at portraying the Brits worked very well, mainly because of the execrable accents.
    Favourites too many to mention - agree with most people's faves on here but I cannot watch the last series - particularly the last ep as it's too sad!! And I think they ought to have made a happier ending for Frasier and Charlotte. It was never likely they'd bring the series back, so why not?:(
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    I thought it did end well: Frasier's plane landed in Chicago, not San Fransisco? (or the other way round - in Charlotte's city anyway)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    the ski lodge is good but from memory i always preferred 'decoys' - the other lodge-y episode.