Most ruined returnee in EastEnders history?

124»

Comments

• dale0693dale0693 Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    Ronnie got sentenced to 3 years for swapping her dead baby with Kat/Alfie's. She is being released soon, so I guess that she's not serving the full 3 years.

I thought Ronnie filed for divorce a couple of years ago?

Yes she did, She filed for divorce in December 2011
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can Sam not be the answer everyone is choosing. At least Kat is being redeemed somewhat at the minute and Sharon WILL get better when she is with Phil. It can only go uphill from Jack.
  • Willow33Willow33 Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. Like I said I only saw the end of it, why was Phil threatening to tell Sharon that Jack was married then?
  • Milton JonesMilton Jones Posts: 2,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon's acting has deteriorated as well, not realistic at all, Janine has also had too much panto storylines. Dens return was good especially as he met his son Dennis. Kat has improved recently but her with Alfie is the worst you can get.
  • Chuckster2Chuckster2 Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Willow33 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Like I said I only saw the end of it, why was Phil threatening to tell Sharon that Jack was married then?
    He was threatening to tell Sharon that jack had gone to see Ronnie not that they are married. Their divorce came through a couple of yrs ago.
  • Chuckster2Chuckster2 Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Sharon's acting has deteriorated as well, not realistic at all, Janine has also had too much panto storylines. Dens return was good especially as he met his son Dennis. Kat has improved recently but her with Alfie is the worst you can get.
    Den's return produced some good eps and I actually thought he was alright up until Grantham's suspension then they ruined the character by making him a pervert. Leslie Grantham has been very vocal on how den wasn't supposed to be a gangster just a wheeler dealer who got out of his depth and den sleeping with Kate and Sam no that didn't work as den got older so would his bits on the side have. What he did with Zoe was pure character assassination.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Sharon and Kat.
  • Willow33Willow33 Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuckster2 wrote: »
    He was threatening to tell Sharon that jack had gone to see Ronnie not that they are married. Their divorce came through a couple of yrs ago.

Thanks ;)
  • Miss MelonMiss Melon Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Kat - Left in '05 with her happy ending and her "Man in the Moon". Had realised Alfie was the only man she wanted. Came back and was pregnant to his cousin, and has started the affairs up again. I am, however, pleased with how LN is slowly bringing back the old Kat, and enjoying her friendship with Bianca. I hope they can turn her round again, and if they can I wouldn't be completely opposed to a Kalfie reunion!

And Sharon too, she's an iconic character and yet since she's come back all she's done is mope around and rely on men. Also hardly any interaction between her, Ian and Dot although the scene last week in Dot's house with the three of them and Fatboy was lovely!
  • Olay257Olay257 Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Returns in general flop
  • Foxster HotpotFoxster Hotpot Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I vote Sam Mitchell, I can see why Kat won in 2013 though with the whole secret shagger SL
  • NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Sam Mitchell

2. Kat Slater

3. Den Watts

Since this poll was posted, Sharon's character improved significantly under DTC, though I recently hated her spineless attitude towards her precious Beales.

Sam, Kat and Den were the victims of terrible writing. In Sam's case it was also the stupid decision to bring back Danniella Westbrook, and not Kim Medcalf. Kat still has some potential if she returns next year, hopefully without Alfie and they rebuild the Slater family.

Bianca was definitely ruined after being such a good character in the 90s.

I'd say Ronnie, Ian and Jane are fast becoming these as well.

Why was Janine in this poll? I liked her 2008 return!
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    I voted sam as remember her comeback being all kinds of atrocious

I wonder if the ppl who voted Sharon back then would transfer their vote to someone else given the opportunity I think she's much improved
  • gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danniella Westbrook's return as Sam was awful, the character took so many steps back it was unbelievable, especially since Kim Medcalf's time as Sam had been so successful.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dean Wicks
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was excited by Sam Mitchell initially since Kim was great in the role. It's as if they just ignored her stint altogether since she reverted as a character as well as the actress. It was just a huge disappointment and the fact they made Jack impregnate another Mitchell was laughable.
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Jane.
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    It's all about Sam Mitchell for me. A total regression of the character because the writers wanted to have a few months of playing around with the Bianca/Ricky/Sam triangle from the 90s. Completely ignoring the Sam on the 00s, her stories and experiences which would obviously alter her personality forever.

Some characters suffer because they return under an EP that ultimately doesn't ''get'' them. Santer, for example, made Janine a caricature and a panto-villain. Janine marrying the rich Jewish man for money and then going after Archie so she could end up being the wicked stepmother, evil landlady of the Vic. She improved greatly under Kirkwood. Kirkwood on the otherhand demolished Kat but she only improved under Newman. Newman ruined Sharon but she was put on the right tracks by DTC.

As for Jane Beale - I think her return has been great. I never really rated the character before. I thought she was quite boring and just ''there'' for the most part. The Lucy storyline has made her memorable for me.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite interesting reading these old posts. Is it a matter of certain writers making these characters soar? When they leave the returning characters are left at the mercy of writers who don't really care for them, don't understand them?
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    Quite interesting reading these old posts. Is it a matter of certain writers making these characters soar? When they leave the returning characters are left at the mercy of writers who don't really care for them, don't understand them?

I think the main problem with Kat and Sharon's respective returns was the incompetent writers that Kirkwood brought over from Hollyoaks with him, most of whom has clearly never seen either Kat or Sharon in previous stints nor watched the show before 2006. They neither knew or cared about the show's history. Kat and Sharon went from genuine soap legends to being almost unrecognisable overnight. Katie Douglas, one of the worst offenders from that era, still writes for the show today.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    I think the main problem with Kat and Sharon's respective returns was the incompetent writers that Kirkwood brought over from Hollyoaks with him, most of whom has clearly never seen either Kat or Sharon in previous stints nor watched the show before 2006. They neither knew or cared about the show's history. Kat and Sharon went from genuine soap legends to being almost unrecognisable overnight. Katie Douglas, one of the worst offenders from that era, still writes for the show today.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense.

I still recall Sharon introducing herself to Janine and accepting a marriage proposal on the anniversary of her husband's brutal murder without referencing it once! :o On balance I would have preferred them not to come back than be messed up. I wouldn't be watching EE again though! :D
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voted Sam Mitchell & other being Ronnie. Awful return imo.